• Latest Project?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by green_elite_cab

Mirai Zikasu wrote:I've been doing some work on custom interiors recently. Last night, I finished up and assembled a Viewliner interior that I've been working on for a while. The floor, walls, and fixtures in the bedrooms are .030" styrene. Seats are from Precision Scale Co. I might add some top berths and more detailing; I haven't decided on how far I want to go. It still needs a little tweaking, but I'm happy with it so far.

I also have an interior in the works for IMW's MARC Kawasaki bilevels, but I need to figure out how best to put it together to make painting easy. I have one lower level frame, and I'm trying to figure out how to construct stairs and stabilize the upper level. Sooner or later, I'll get that one figured out.
Nice, I'm going to have to steal them and reverse engineer them! I can kinda get away with the Amfleets have no interior, their windows are dark, but you can see right into a view liner window.

I'll trade you for AEM7AC roof boxes! I think i have enough brass mesh material to make all the grills and things. I also found some plastic screws small enough to fit properly in the resistor grid thingies. The only problem I'm having now is that my plan to cast those AEM7 boxes isn't working so well. for some reason, my plastic is not cooperating, its way to bubbly. Normally it wouldn't be a problem, but its very brittle, and may not cut easily. If i can get the side details of the boxes set though, i can just cut them out and use styrene to make the rest of the boxes.
  by Mirai Zikasu

Ha, no need for theft and all the wasted effort. I'd be glad to pass along my interior measurements and even a scrap floor piece from the second of two failed attempts in trying to design the interior. It already has some cutouts so that the floor can fit right over the metal weight and screws on the Viewliner frame. The floor would even be salvageable if you're willing to sand the excess glue off from the first set of walls I tried making. I found a good way to assemble the walls that forms doorways without having to cut them out of the styrene. As far as a trade, I just started working on my AEM-7AC again (because I won't let you have the glory at club of finishing and flaunting yours first, lol), but some of those plastic screws for the resistor grids and those side detail bits would be great. I decided that I wanted to remake the boxes atop my AC unit as I wasn't happy with my first attempt. The styrene I used was way too thick and not well-cut, and I found better meshes for the two types of vents up top. By the way, got a good idea on how to make the frames for the vents on the two huge electrical boxes at the center of the locomotive? I'm thinking some kind of thin brass wire/rod that can easily be cut into strips that are just a few millimeters wide yet will hold its shape. I tried making vent frames out of styrene with my first attempt, and it was extremely hard to piece together little bits for a good, sturdy frame...which never looked all that good even after hours of gluing, sanding, shaping, et cetera.
  by green_elite_cab

Mirai Zikasu wrote:Ha, no need for theft and all the wasted effort. I'd be glad to pass along my interior measurements and even a scrap floor piece from the second of two failed attempts in trying to design the interior. It already has some cutouts so that the floor can fit right over the metal weight and screws on the Viewliner frame. The floor would even be salvageable if you're willing to sand the excess glue off from the first set of walls I tried making. I found a good way to assemble the walls that forms doorways without having to cut them out of the styrene.
I'm just kidding, but yeah, the measurements would be good. I just spent all yesterday trying to match up spots on my model with a scale ruler to get everything lined up right on the AEM7, so i don't want to do any more measuring for a while.
As far as a trade, I just started working on my AEM-7AC again (because I won't let you have the glory at club of finishing and flaunting yours first, lol),
You better get crackin, i build things VERY quickly. If i have the parts for a project like this, i can finish it in three days. Indeed, it is Day 2 today (i got it Wednesday, started the next day), and if i had the ditch lights, it would probably be ready for painting by tonight. I actually have a draft of the AEM7-AC locomotive manual, but the drawing doesn't appear to place the ditch lights correctly, and its tough since there aren't a lot of landmarks on the nose to go by when placing them. and of course, you can't make a mistake, lol.

but some of those plastic screws for the resistor grids and those side detail bits would be great. I decided that I wanted to remake the boxes atop my AC unit as I wasn't happy with my first attempt. The styrene I used was way too thick and not well-cut, and I found better meshes for the two types of vents up top. By the way, got a good idea on how to make the frames for the vents on the two huge electrical boxes at the center of the locomotive? I'm thinking some kind of thin brass wire/rod that can easily be cut into strips that are just a few millimeters wide yet will hold its shape. I tried making vent frames out of styrene with my first attempt, and it was extremely hard to piece together little bits for a good, sturdy frame...which never looked all that good even after hours of gluing, sanding, shaping, et cetera.
I'm not sure i understand on the frame end of things. I cut out the "roofs" of the pair of boxes as one piece, then i shaped them roughly where they should be. then i used the same sheet styrene to build the main "vertical" walls. In fact, you can see a seam in the roof box. I put in a supporting wall "behind" the vents, and i'll paint these flat black and mask them before i give them the two tones of silver (the "outer" vents are a darker metal than the "inner" strip on the center box). Then i'll install the mesh, then glue on brass wire or strip like you said onto the surface of the mesh, and that should do the trick. I'll have to take pictures and post them up.

Sanding and shaping should be no problem if you have some needle files (square and flat), and a sanding block. Once you have the basic shape, you just take everything down, and finish with either wet sand or bearing sand paper. That smooths everything out just nicely. You'll have to show me how you did yours.

I'll definitely post pictures as soon as I'm done fitting them to the roof. I won't glue them down just yet (painting will be easier with them off, one less thing to mask), but I'll try to give an idea of what i have so far.

I still have that GP40FH-2 to do to, that thing is also only being held up because i don't have the cannon & co Exhaust stack i need. Once i repair the rear pilot and file down the air reservoirs to fit behind the cal-scale steps, that thing will also be ready for painting and final assembly.

And, my Stanton drive will be arriving soon. then either my Silverliner IIIs or my Arrow IIIs will start rolling around the club, which will be awesome. I'm thinking the Silverliner IIIs are closer to going, so I'll probably power those.
  by Eliphaz

back in october in post #2 of this thread, I attached pics of a N scale styrene scratch built car side project.
This is a "Port" class 12 bedroom smoothside, using most of a Concor model.
unfortunately all my attachments went away in the "maintenance" so I add them back in.

There are brass cars sides available for the Port 12 bedroom car, for a price, but no RTR model in N scale.
Here is the result, only the name remains, Port of Boston, I think.

It will need an interior built as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Mirai Zikasu

green_elite_cab wrote:I'm just kidding, but yeah, the measurements would be good. I just spent all yesterday trying to match up spots on my model with a scale ruler to get everything lined up right on the AEM7, so i don't want to do any more measuring for a while.
Sounds like fun. Since I never had a scale ruler, I've mostly been working with reference points as the overhead parts seem to line up quite well with details on the locomotive. The only think I ran into trouble with was the resistor grids with pantograph placement. I've been planning on using the Bachmann Acela pantographs since they actually represent the modern Brecknell Willis design rather than Atlas's which are of the original style of the AEM-7s...but the way that they installed the springs means I had to move the resistor grids over a few millimeters so that they wouldn't whack into each other. (Always a bloody problem with something!)
You better get crackin, i build things VERY quickly. If i have the parts for a project like this, i can finish it in three days. Indeed, it is Day 2 today (i got it Wednesday, started the next day), and if i had the ditch lights, it would probably be ready for painting by tonight. I actually have a draft of the AEM7-AC locomotive manual, but the drawing doesn't appear to place the ditch lights correctly, and its tough since there aren't a lot of landmarks on the nose to go by when placing them. and of course, you can't make a mistake, lol.
I know. That's why I'm getting my bum in gear to get my own finished. I need another set of Phase V decals though for the numberboards since I decided to renumber mine from my first choice engine and a few more logos since a Phase V AEM-7 needs two sheets' worth of medium-sized Amtrak logos. As far as the ditch lights go, I used two sets of Details West DL-229s, but know that these are a bit oversized. My best advice is to line up the top, outward corner with the holes for the handrails on the side and the innermost corner of the marker light cavity, and then drill/shape from there. I actually messed up when I did this the first time as I cut way too far to the center of the nose, but it's nothing a little putty and styrene can't fix. It's still a little noticeable where I cut and refilled, but at this point I'm not willing to strip the paint and redo it. (I actually messed up my E-60MA body 603 when the perfectionist bug bit last, and need to repaint and decal the sides again. Ugh...) Also, consider putting a little piece of .015" or .020" styrene on the inner side of the openings to act as a little buffer when you glue the ditch light casings in to keep them straight.

I'm not sure i understand on the frame end of things. I cut out the "roofs" of the pair of boxes as one piece, then i shaped them roughly where they should be. then i used the same sheet styrene to build the main "vertical" walls. In fact, you can see a seam in the roof box. I put in a supporting wall "behind" the vents, and i'll paint these flat black and mask them before i give them the two tones of silver (the "outer" vents are a darker metal than the "inner" strip on the center box). Then i'll install the mesh, then glue on brass wire or strip like you said onto the surface of the mesh, and that should do the trick. I'll have to take pictures and post them up.

Sanding and shaping should be no problem if you have some needle files (square and flat), and a sanding block. Once you have the basic shape, you just take everything down, and finish with either wet sand or bearing sand paper. That smooths everything out just nicely. You'll have to show me how you did yours.
That sounds like a good idea. I was going to leave mine hollow, but a backing behind the mesh sounds like a good idea to feign the depth. (Though, with the superfine mesh I have--intended for mask making!--I don't know if it'll be possible to see through once it's installed and painted. Regardless, when I made my first electric boxes, I wasn't able to cut the pieces nicely, and ended up using so much putty and doing so much filing and sanding that I just said, "Screw this; I'm remaking the things." Here is a link showing pictures that contrasting the first attempt at the part (the one covered in putty stains) to the second which is made of a styrene that's half the thickness and much less jagged and wonky so far. (The grooves up top are a bit exaggerated thanks to the pencil marks on the edges of the styrene pieces.) My first design was hollow to be completely hollow so I could sneak a TCS DP5X decoder in the middle, but I'll probably cover the opening in the locomotive roof, add inner walls to the two electrical boxes, and just put an MC4 in the locomotive now that I've seen how well a decoder can fit in the body of an AEM-7. The three parts I'm missing to finish up my roof are those screws now that I've seen good shots of the resistor grids, the side details on said grids, and a little more work to the battery boxes since I'm making totally new parts. (Plus some more super glue as I just ran out.) Since they're such funky pieces, I'm trying to find ways to easily put everything together with as few gaps and as little post-assembly sanding as possible.

Also, depending on which locomotive you're doing, you might need the "Danger: High Voltage" and "Authorized Personnel" decals. I'm working on an AEM-7 Supplement Decal Sheet with a few weird things that can't be gotten from other decal sets like properly-sized Amtrak logos and enough numbers for Phase IV AEM-7s, little Helvetica Amtrak logos in Pantone 302C that go on the small sideboards for the Phase V AEM-7s, and the above mentioned decals that were on practically every AEM-7 and E-60MA yet have never been produced in HO scale.

Now, to go finish playing Santa Jr. and wrapping Christmas presents!
  by Steve F45

If i get time this weekend i'll posd up some project photo's of what im working on. 2 NYSW SD40-2's and eventually the patched highnose SD40-2.
  by green_elite_cab

Mirai Zikasu wrote: Sounds like fun. Since I never had a scale ruler, I've mostly been working with reference points as the overhead parts seem to line up quite well with details on the locomotive. The only think I ran into trouble with was the resistor grids with pantograph placement. I've been planning on using the Bachmann Acela pantographs since they actually represent the modern Brecknell Willis design rather than Atlas's which are of the original style of the AEM-7s...but the way that they installed the springs means I had to move the resistor grids over a few millimeters so that they wouldn't whack into each other. (Always a bloody problem with something!)
You should invest in a scale ruler, it helps you keep track of your measurements.

I do have a solution for the pantograph problem. You can adapt the Bachmann Acela pantograph to work the Atlas Pantograph base. The advantages here are obvious. The base would need no modification, except for a new stabilizer bar to fit the Acela pantograph.

Most of the modification would revolved around removing the hold pantograph arm (I haven't figured a way to remove it intact yet), and then adapting the lower arm of the Acela pantograph to fit in it's place. Since its essentially a sheet of metal at the very bottom, this isn't a problem

Basically, you'd need clip off the old spring "hooks", and replace them with thinner ones to interface with the Atlas pantograph springs, and you'd need to find some brass wire and solder it onto the the under surface of the lower arm to fit in the Atlas base's hinges. Finally, you'd hook up the new equalizer bar, which pretty much means just replacing the current one with a fresh piece of wire.

In theory, it should fold and extend like normal, as well as lock down as it would on the Acela pan, since the locking piece is part of the lower arm. since the lower arm is thinner than the Atlas lower arm, you shouldn't have to worry about the original locking wires catching it.

With some fitting, the bachmann pan should be able to be installed in place of the atlas one.

Since it is flat metal, you can easily solder or glue a wire or rod for it to swivel with. You can replace the metal thingies with wire that better match the atlas springs

The stabilizer bar is actually installed on a separate part of the base that can be unscrewed from the bottom. It looks like the stabilizer bar can be removed without damage to it. i'm not sure how remove the lower arm though.

I know. That's why I'm getting my bum in gear to get my own finished. I need another set of Phase V decals though for the numberboards since I decided to renumber mine from my first choice engine and a few more logos since a Phase V AEM-7 needs two sheets' worth of medium-sized Amtrak logos. As far as the ditch lights go, I used two sets of Details West DL-229s, but know that these are a bit oversized. My best advice is to line up the top, outward corner with the holes for the handrails on the side and the innermost corner of the marker light cavity, and then drill/shape from there. I actually messed up when I did this the first time as I cut way too far to the center of the nose, but it's nothing a little putty and styrene can't fix. It's still a little noticeable where I cut and refilled, but at this point I'm not willing to strip the paint and redo it. (I actually messed up my E-60MA body 603 when the perfectionist bug bit last, and need to repaint and decal the sides again. Ugh...) Also, consider putting a little piece of .015" or .020" styrene on the inner side of the openings to act as a little buffer when you glue the ditch light casings in to keep them straight.
That would be cool if you could set me up with the appropriate decals also. If you still want to stick with 914, i would change mine (since its obviously currently an AEM7 AC, and I'm not going to rebuild a painted unit).

Yeah, i already lined up my ditch lights like that, using my scale ruler and a Phase III model to line it up additionally. Are there smaller ditch light castings, or is that just what you had available to you? I was hoping if i could find a ditch light casting, that it might let me fit it in just right so i knew where to cut.

You probably wouldn't need to strip the model, but if you use some fine grit sand paper, You can smooth it down enough that it doesn't show once you give it a quick once over with an air brush. For the most part, i was able to plug up the holes on my Silverliner IIIs this way (though it looks like i didn't fill in one pair all the way, but whatever, i know from my other car that it can be done).

here is my lines for drilling

That sounds like a good idea. I was going to leave mine hollow, but a backing behind the mesh sounds like a good idea to feign the depth. (Though, with the superfine mesh I have--intended for mask making!--I don't know if it'll be possible to see through once it's installed and painted. Regardless, when I made my first electric boxes, I wasn't able to cut the pieces nicely, and ended up using so much putty and doing so much filing and sanding that I just said, "Screw this; I'm remaking the things." Here is a link showing pictures that contrasting the first attempt at the part (the one covered in putty stains) to the second which is made of a styrene that's half the thickness and much less jagged and wonky so far. (The grooves up top are a bit exaggerated thanks to the pencil marks on the edges of the styrene pieces.) My first design was hollow to be completely hollow so I could sneak a TCS DP5X decoder in the middle, but I'll probably cover the opening in the locomotive roof, add inner walls to the two electrical boxes, and just put an MC4 in the locomotive now that I've seen how well a decoder can fit in the body of an AEM-7. The three parts I'm missing to finish up my roof are those screws now that I've seen good shots of the resistor grids, the side details on said grids, and a little more work to the battery boxes since I'm making totally new parts. (Plus some more super glue as I just ran out.) Since they're such funky pieces, I'm trying to find ways to easily put everything together with as few gaps and as little post-assembly sanding as possible.
Yeah, I can see why you're having problems with the boxes! You should leave them hollow (room for plenty of lead weight in there), but it makes sense to put at least a backing of some kind behind the mesh, since these aren't see "all the way" through anyway. By adding these down the length of your box, you not only prevent the light from shining through, but you also give it strength.

Here is a photo of what i have built so far-

Also, another thing i noticed is that you tried to make the angled vent on the "putty" box all open. I would not recommend this. It makes it annoying and complicated to make separate back pieces. I'd make it all one wall. Not only is it stronger, but it gives you a starting point. In fact, i made several "boxes" attached to the same sheet of styrene that made the roof.

I also used incredibly thin styrene to make that center "strip" down each box. I left extra hanging on each end and bent them to approximately the correct angle. then i used glue to hold the strip not only in place, but at the correct angle. I then used the excess material to make the "sides" of the angled vent, just gluing a strip to it, then using flush cutters to take off excess material, finally hitting it with the files and fine grit sanding paper until it was smooth. On mine, i bashed it by accident, but then again, i should have (and will now) fill it in with either putt or Gap filling CA so that it becomes a solid piece.

Also, depending on which locomotive you're doing, you might need the "Danger: High Voltage" and "Authorized Personnel" decals. I'm working on an AEM-7 Supplement Decal Sheet with a few weird things that can't be gotten from other decal sets like properly-sized Amtrak logos and enough numbers for Phase IV AEM-7s, little Helvetica Amtrak logos in Pantone 302C that go on the small sideboards for the Phase V AEM-7s, and the above mentioned decals that were on practically every AEM-7 and E-60MA yet have never been produced in HO scale.

Now, to go finish playing Santa Jr. and wrapping Christmas presents!
Once again, you're gonna have to set me up. Merry Christmas to you!
  by green_elite_cab

Once i dullcote this, all the weird glares should go away. This was a GP40FH-2 shell that had seen the horrors of my early modeling career. in fact, most of the model is and casts made from another FH-2 (thanks Approach Medium) cannon parts now. Its in considerably better shape than it was! I also have all the lights, grab irons, and ladders to finish it off.

by jmusialek

atlas aem7 o scale engine
my question is how would or can you depower one of these engines. I have one extra atlas o scae marc aem7 engine that i want to de-power so i can use it at the end of my train set. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  by green_elite_cab

jmusialek wrote:atlas aem7 o scale engine
my question is how would or can you depower one of these engines. I have one extra atlas o scae marc aem7 engine that i want to de-power so i can use it at the end of my train set. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You can't consist this engine to run with the train? Considering the cost of these engines, and the details, i wouldn't play with it unless you were sure this is what you wanted to do.

I think the best way to do this is to remove the worm gears and drive train from the model, and put them in a safe place. This way, you can leave most of the model intact, so if you ever want it to run on it's own again, you just need to put the wormgear back in. Wit the worm gear removed, the locomotive should roll freely.

from the parts diagram, it looks like a snap ring holds the truck in to the frame from the top. slide this off, and the truck should fall loose, and it should be able to slip out of its drive train as well. Next, unscrew the bottom of the truck to open the halves up. take out the worm gear (the gear attached to the drive) and keep it safe. reassemble it. I wouldn't reccomend removing the other gears, as they may be particular to where they sit on the truck, and if you don't put them in exactly the way they came in, they might not work properly later.
  by green_elite_cab

Well, i tried the pantography idea, and that works. All you need to do is unscrew the screw from the right hand side of the pantograph frame. this will allow you to remove the old arm easily, without damage. You can easily unhook the arm from the stabilizer bar as well without damaging or bending it.

Next, just glue or solder a length of 1/32 wire on the underside of the lower arm of the bachmann pantograph, as well as use some of this wire to make new "spring hooks" to hook onto the original AEM7 springs, then reinstall the side of the pantograph frame. Then make and install a new stabilizer bar with thin wire. This works just fine, and the pantograph will operate without hick ups or issues. You may need to adjust it a little bit near the bottom, but only so that if folds flat over the pantograph frame.
  by green_elite_cab

There you go folks! the only necessary change was the stabilizer bar (little red wire) and the replacement of the atlas arm with a bachmann one. This conversion doesn't require you to permanently damage anything (all you need is a screw driver, some wire, glue/solder, and pliers). not really intimidating at all.

by timberley

A couple of weeks back, I got around to modernizing my Rapido RTR LRC cars, by adding the correct decals to update them to the modern livery. I will be doing the same with the Club car once I get it next week:

You can also see one of my in progress projects in the background of that image, in the modified 5-bay rapid discharge hopper. I'm currently working on building a set of the 5-bay rapid discharge hoppers owned and operated by the Cape Breton Development Corporation (DEVCO) Railway, and later by its descendent, the Sydney Coal Railway (SCR). The prototype hoppers can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28emqmzv7v8

The locomotives in that video are ex-DEVCO GMD GP38-2s. One of my other current projects is kitbashing and painting two of these GP38-2 locomotives. I have one completed, and am ready to paint the second. I kitbashed each locomotive from a Bachmann DCC on board GP38-2, and used detail parts from Miniatures by Eric, Railflyer, and an Athearn non-DB hood. Here's the first loco, completed:

Also ready for the paintshop is the second of my Cape Breton and Central Nova Scotia Railway (CB&CNS) MLW RS-18 locomotives. This second locomotive is one of the limited run Life-Like/Hobbycraft RS18 locomotives, and is a good looking engine. It will be the sister unit to my already completed (last summer) kitbashed RS18.

This first RS18 was kitbashed from an Atlas RS11, using Miniatures by Eric and Railflyer detail parts:

I'll post more photos of the sister unit to this RS18, as well as the GP38-2 to go with the loco above. I expect to have the two of them painted and decalled within the next few weeks. I also expect to get those hoppers into the paint-shop some time in the next month as well, so I'll have lots of new stuff to share!
  by deandremouse

Nice Bachman Kitbash! I really like the it. the colors remind me of the Louisville & Indianna.

Anyway Ive been Working on an Island Model Works P72 kit for my NY&A executive train-