Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#553136  by Clean Cab

125 and 126 were shopped to Harmon. Maxi Bomb running on Waterbury Branch as we speak.
 #553215  by Otto Vondrak

DutchRailnut wrote:Who cares what way engine faces, the Dispatcher will send the train up , whatever way he wants.
Uh... well, us lowly photographers care. As you know, the sun angles favor southward-facing trains. Knowing if a unit is on the north or south end is very important, as southward-facing movements are more rare.
 #553248  by Fred G

Otto Vondrak wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:Who cares what way engine faces, the Dispatcher will send the train up , whatever way he wants.
Uh... well, us lowly photographers care. As you know, the sun angles favor southward-facing trains. Knowing if a unit is on the north or south end is very important, as southward-facing movements are more rare.
How utterly insensitive of him :P
 #553266  by DutchRailnut

Ill suggest we create job of Photo director at the Dispatchers office, so we can take care of railbuffs ;-)
 #553288  by Fred G

DutchRailnut wrote:Ill suggest we create job of Photo director at the Dispatchers office, so we can take care of railbuffs ;-)
How utterly sensitive of you! :P
 #553305  by Otto Vondrak

DutchRailnut wrote:Ill suggest we create job of Photo director at the Dispatchers office, so we can take care of railbuffs ;-)
I know you're making a joke, but I was just making a point that as part of this tracker thread, the orientation of the unit is just as important as the assignment. I make no apologies for being a photographer and being interested in this information.

Now, let's get back to the tracking assignments, please...
 #553825  by DutchRailnut

CDOT 127 with one coach heading New Haven to MO for Harmon just about now.
 #554183  by Clean Cab

The 128 will be out for testing tomorrow night (7/10) on both the Hudson anmd Harlem Lines.
 #554184  by DutchRailnut

If you look at page 11 of this thread same picture was posted here ;-)

As for 128 testing great more faking, apparently the real test is on Waterbury where the units can't produce more than 280 miles before failure.
so far I'm not impressed.
Testing should be with six cars (with one car having all HEP shut off), the BL209GH is specified for 5 cars in passenger service. , so six ed car would substitute for weight of about 400 passengers.
If it can not handle it its a dud, don't accept the unit as it can not make specifications.
 #554270  by LNJ614

Hey Dutch, I was told that among other problems with these engines is that they seem to have a problem with overheating, that includes the main diesel as well as the HEP.
 #554274  by Clean Cab

I have to agree with DRN. The BLO-20s do seem to be quite underpowered. I have ridden and operated them and although I do like how the cab is laid out and how nicely they ride, these engines are lacking in horsepower. I can't understand why they weren't designed for more horsepower. I also wonder why they didn't build just one and test the hell out of it before committing to buy 12 of them? Some adjustments in train schedules maybe required if something can't be done to crank these babies up a bit.
 #554856  by DutchRailnut

Metro North 110 and CDOT 130 are now in Harmon Yard