Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1640288  by Jonathan

Is there any chance in a longer Valley run south past Conway presuming Conway Scenic is interested and does have a plan to rehab the line? Like it has been said, if they do have a plan, it will probably surface either in the next few weeks or months. I'm extremely interested in what that plan entails.
 #1640313  by NHV 669

SB Monday-Thursday, NB Tuesday-Friday, with local work in Rochester as needed. They also switch a customer at Rollinsford near where the Conway Branch joins the FML. No weekend jobs.
 #1640353  by Calebharris39

Beyond all of this CSX still retains deeded right from NHN north to Conway with a 700 foot section owned by silver lake between Mile Post B126.2 to B126.3. They have the first say and also have to release the deed to whatever carrier they see fit to operate the line as of the Release deed of June 28th 2001 as signed by Fink and the New Hampshire Attorney General. CSX could even if they wanted to stage an impasse. To block all competition from CSRX or NHN. Unlikely but could happen (e.g the mtn division between st j and whitefield during the fink era). Whoever makes it the most attractive not only with RFPs or others has to deal with Boston and Maine Corp Deed (CSX Retainer) and the State.
 #1640366  by jfwjr1

Currently HB1468 proposes to rip up the rails on the Conway Branch. Given that CSX has perpetual freight rights, does that mean CSX has to approve the sale of those rails? Does that mean that if CSX were to resume freight after the trail groups would have to pay back to reinstall the rail?

They really need to put a rail trail next to the rails!
 #1640414  by Who

jfwjr1: I explained this to you in the Conway Branch thread, CSX does not have freight rights to the Conway Branch, they only have bridge traffic rights. Here is a quote that I pulled from the state's feasibility study of the branch.
It should be noted that the Boston and Maine Corporation retained rights to transport rail freight
to or from distant points, known as “bridge traffic,” when it sold the corridor to the state. The
potential for such traffic is somewhat remote, however, given the constraints of operating over
the lines that connect with the Conway Branch to the north. The New Hampshire Northcoast
would be free to develop freight business along the corridor, however, in cooperation with the
Department of Transportation.
All it is, is a paper barrier to prevent a competitor railroad from coming in and siphoning traffic away from the B&M. Guilford made sure the MEC retained the same bridge traffic rights on the Mountain Division, those rights would prevent NHN from interchanging freight not belonging to one of their online customers.
 #1640419  by NHN503

Who wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:39 pmGuilford made sure the MEC retained the same bridge traffic rights on the Mountain Division...
They also retained some ownership as well, such as west of Gilman. They had on the Conway Branch as well, about a mile, but that was long ago rectified.
 #1640514  by Who

Aside from the Easter Bunny Express trains the last weekend of March and the Solar Eclipse train on April 8th, there will be no further train departures until Memorial Day weekend this year. I can't say for certain, but I think the long-anticipated track work in the North Conway railyard, will take place while the railroad is closed. I've been told that in addition to a new track layout the parking lot entrance will be relocated to the south end of the station, allowing for a longer platform and longer trains to extend north of the station.
 #1640515  by FatNoah

Here is a quote that I pulled from the state's feasibility study of the branch.
For the curious and/or more legal-minded, here's a link to the deed itself: https://mm.nh.gov/files/uploads/dot/rem ... d-deed.pdf

As noted above, the state can assign rights to local traffic to another party, but B&M (and its successors) can require that the other party interchange only with B&M. The other interesting tidbit, IMHO, is B&M also retaining an easement for installation and operation of telecommunications equipment and/or leasing the rights to do so.
 #1640632  by NHV 669

Who wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:43 am Aside from the Easter Bunny Express trains the last weekend of March and the Solar Eclipse train on April 8th, there will be no further train departures until Memorial Day weekend this year.
False...

Bartlett Valley runs return on April 13-15, 19-21, and every Saturday/Sunday after, through 5/19, where they are replaced by daily Conway Valley runs starting the following weekend (Memorial Day weekend/May 25).
 #1640741  by b&m 1566

Have the washouts on the Conway Branch been repaired yet? It might explain the reason for the delayed start for Conway bound trains.
 #1640742  by Who

No, not false, they must have updated their website after I posted that because there were no Bartlett excursions showing when I looked. Also, the website is showing Conway excursions will resume this summer.
 #1640763  by NHN503

b&m 1566 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:07 am Have the washouts on the Conway Branch been repaired yet? It might explain the reason for the delayed start for Conway bound trains.
Still a work in progress from what I can see from West Side Rd. on my way to work. Im guessing for those areas around the field its better to wait for the frost to melt and dry out so that material vehicles aren't getting stuck.