Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1640064  by BandA

Assuming track was rehabbed to class 1, how long would it stay in spec? One of the good things about railroads other than Guilford/PAR or Housatonic, once something is rehabbed the capital investment usually lasts a while, i.e. "build it and they will (hopefully) come"
 #1640072  by NHV 669

NHN503 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:37 pm you bet that that operator is going to be taking up a majority of funding the rehab cost. Current cost of ties are $53 each, so, its about 3mil for just bare minimum Class 1 in ties for MP110 to MP133. Not including your stuff and surface costs.
I guess i misstated my point there, being that they already get help for what work they do just to keep things moving. I guess what I'm asking, is what [amount/scope of work] could they possibly finance? They simply cant take on the whole Conway Branch at once, let alone the Mountain, and they'd still have to deal with the state regardless... Thanks for really hammering it home with the updated tie cost.
 #1640094  by b&m 1566

If the Conway Scenic was serious about the Mt. Division, then I have no doubt they have the means to restore the Conway Branch, just the lower miles alone drops the restoration price but that's assuming they intend to use the same rail. We still don't know if they are looking at all or part of the Conway Branch or even know what their intended purpose is but I'm sure over the coming weeks and months that will start to surface. And if this potential freight business develops in the Tamworth area for NHN, then there is potential we could see the two railroads link up. Either way you look at it, you can't ignore the growing effort to build a rail trail, this is going to be the one last shot at revival, and if any of these potentials dry up, you can garrentee a rail trail without rail is coming.
 #1640116  by p42thedowneaster

Would be great to work the branch on each end like the Hobo does (and be able to move equipment between easily. Conway can do its thing and then a Rochester-or Somersworth-based operation could serve another large population that might be interested in doing rides up to Wakefield and back. I think it would be a great dinner train route and it wouldn't even interfere with NHN.
 #1640152  by NHV 669

Only if you ignore the fact that it would be on NHN property, requiring coordination with the railroad and dispatch, and staying out of the way of the southbound gravel runs that would be traveling along that track around the same time. Add in the fact that there's really nowhere useful to park the equipment.

In other news more based in reality, the 470 Club has continued working on 1741, moving it between roundhouse stall bays under its own power. Cosmetic repairs are up next, including the body and cab floors, and they hope to have the unit painted and airframe work done after that. The goal is to have it in service this summer.
 #1640166  by Goddraug

p42thedowneaster wrote:Would be great to work the branch on each end like the Hobo does (and be able to move equipment between easily. Conway can do its thing and then a Rochester-or Somersworth-based operation could serve another large population that might be interested in doing rides up to Wakefield and back. I think it would be a great dinner train route and it wouldn't even interfere with NHN.
Doing a run from Conway to any point north of the Ossipee gravel pits would probably be best case scenario. BS&G wouldn’t appreciate any interruptions to their supply chain of NHN, and running in between their schedules would probably be a massive pain.
 #1640196  by Calebharris39

To play nice with BS&G with anti competition they could easily just operate to current "end of track" in South ossipee at the old depot where then its severed under 28/ old route 28 and if I remember correctly NHN has rights to old 28. They could easily play nice there and have an interchange point like NHN has with Csx in dover yard if need be and CSRX Has at hazens. Gives both railroads an opportunity for double ended traffic and moves
 #1640198  by Who

Madison Station has a freight house siding; Mt. Whittier has a freight house siding and a regular passing siding, Mountainview has a freight house siding and Ossipee had a freight house siding and a regular passing siding.
 #1640252  by Jonathan

b&m 1566 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:20 pm The Conway Scenic doesn't have to take the state to court, state law already dictates that rail take precedence, besides there's never been any approval of a rail trail on the Conway Branch by the state. As someone already pointed out, the state of Maine's refusal to work with the railroad, has forced the railroad to refocus on other avenues of growth, if that area of growth involves the Conway Branch south of Conway, NHDOT will listen.
And NHDOT, knowing how well Conway Scenic does with the trains they run now, would be dumb not to allow Conway Scenic to expand operations on the Conway Branch. One person already mentioned the possibility of them running to Silver Lake and honestly, since the Silver Lake Railroad is no more, I would love to see them try and expand operations there. Think about the amount of people they could attract and how much traffic on 302/16, mostly through North Conway village, could be eliminated if Conway Scenic made use of the station in Madison. I'd be supportive of that effort, plus maybe efforts to start in the Freight business if they're interested.
Last edited by MEC407 on Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: excessive quoting
 #1640287  by b&m 1566

Jonathan, you will never see the Conway Scenic get into the freight business, if any freight appears on the Conway Branch, it will be handled by NHN.
It does sound like ownership was willing to create another short line freight railroad specifically for the mountain division in Maine to help off set costs but they would've had direct interchange with CSX in the Portland, not with another short line operator like NHN.