Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1634250  by Ken W2KB

pdtrains wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:26 pm So if the are using equipment on hand, fair enough. I thought they had a dedicated train, based on the schedule and there not being trains in 2 different towns on the same day,

but whatever...
I strongly suspect that the one train per day limitation is primarily because the Operation Toy Train necessary number of volunteers can only be present at a single location on any given day.
 #1634256  by Bracdude181

You may be right. Looked to be about the same amount of staff out for yesterday’s train as there was for the Salem Branch run.

Will be curious to see if it’s a similar situation with the upcoming NYSW trip since that seems a far bigger event than the ones I’ve seen so far. Usually a lot more people out making donations for that one.
 #1634288  by AceMacSD

Bracdude181 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:51 am It has almost no power, burns oil and has flat spots on the wheels. It may seem ok when pulling a lone caboose but give it 8 or more loaded centerbeams up a small hill and it really struggles.

Hopefully 752 is on next years train.
. I've ran it many times and never had these issues. Pulled fine for me. How many times have you operated that engine that you can accurately make those statements?

Do you have to operate this engine to observe smoke blowing or to hear flat spots on the wheels and to observe pulling problems? No, of course not.--David
 #1634303  by Bracdude181

it LITERALLY blows blue smoke clouds EVERYWHERE sometimes and the flat spots were clearly heard almost all day Sunday. Furthermore, both myself and others on here and on one of the Facebook pages have seen that engine BARELY get up the hill at Pinebrook with 17 cars in Notch 8 the ENTIRE TIME and you say it has no problems? What GP38 is so rotten that it can barely get up a .75 percent uphill grade with 17 loaded cars? Even some of the absolute worst engines Conrail had got up that hill with similar loads no problem, and some of those engines were ready for the cutters torch!
 #1634307  by Bracdude181

AWSmith wrote:I didn't notice any smoke not flat spot hammering on my videos I took Sunday. Check it out on Youtube

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
I heard it briefly around 49 seconds. You hear those two little dull thuds? Those are flat spots. It’s a different noise than wheels going over joints which make a clack clack/clang clang noise. Flat spots are common but can damage wheels and tracks if it’s bad enough.

You have some nice videos on your channel! I’ll have to show my buddy that 1920s Victrola machine. He likes old stuff lol.
 #1634309  by pumpers

pdtrains wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:30 am You have to do a back up move to get from the LV to the Port Reading branch, unless they rearranged the tracks there somehow.
When did they (Conrail I assume) build the connector so that an eastbound on the Port Reading branch could get directly on the ex-CNJ (Chemical Coast) headed towards E-port? I'm guessing at least 25(?) years ago...

And how about the connector so that a southbound on the Chemical Coast could pull into Port Reading yard? Conrail or before?

JS
 #1634319  by R&DB

pumpers wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:42 am
pdtrains wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:30 am You have to do a back up move to get from the LV to the Port Reading branch, unless they rearranged the tracks there somehow.
When did they (Conrail I assume) build the connector so that an eastbound on the Port Reading branch could get directly on the ex-CNJ (Chemical Coast) headed towards E-port? I'm guessing at least 25(?) years ago...

And how about the connector so that a southbound on the Chemical Coast could pull into Port Reading yard? Conrail or before?

JS
1- circa 1995
2- back in CNJ days
 #1634320  by Bracdude181

Conrail has been looking to put another track in at RON to allow eastbounds to come off the PR Branch to go south on the Chem Coast to Motiva, but so far nothing has come of that.

Going back to the earlier discussion on TFT bringing their own equipment. One of my buddies asked about it on Sunday and the person he spoke with said they wanted to bring down the blue one from Phillipsburg the night prior but were unable to do so. They’ll try to have a car set aside for next time.
 #1634467  by pumpers

Yeah, I remember this announcement - seems like it was well over a year ago, but who knows.... I sort of remember hearing the "Barb" Branch extension shown on the map attached above was built, but it could be "deja vu"....
And I can't remember what "Barb" is short for. Barber??