Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1630669  by pumpers

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:47 am ...
Freehold customers

Reed and Perine
Builders General
EH Allen Pole (they use the team track. Their facility is in Sayerville)
Prestone
FWIW, until 5(?) years ago, Reed & Perine had a facility in Cranbury which received an occasional car and which was served from the very southern stub end of the old Camden & Amboy, north of Hightstown. But that facility was all demolished a few years ago, for a warehouse IIRC, and I think the C&A was cut back to further north after that. I think there are pictures somewhere here on RR.net, although they may have been elsewhere. The Cranbury station across the tracks I think is still there,used by an electrical business.

Did the R&P location on the Freehold line always get cars, or did that start only after the Cranbury location went away?
 #1630672  by Bracdude181

Ah don’t worry about it. Besides just about everything else in your post is accurate. They indeed did cut the C&A back quite a bit. It now ends less than 100 feet past Applegarth Road.

I’m not sure how long R&P has been on the FIT but I do know they had other rail served locations in NJ. There was one on the Robbinsville IT (which I think was the old C&A?) but it seems it’s all consolidated to Freehold now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #1630694  by R&DB

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:37 am No problem. Wish I knew who’s transloading all that ethanol.
i do not have 1st hand info but have been told its Lairds in Colts Neck. Apparently used in the production of their apple jack.
The way to find out is to catch the tanker truck there at Brick and see what's written on the truck.
 #1630695  by CJPat

I don't think I recall the bridge in the middle of downtown Hightstown, but I certainly remember the Rt 130 bridge that looped over the C&A and came back down to grade. It was neat to see the old tracks following 130 down to Robbinsville. Definitely a sad day when they removed the 130 bridge, ripped thru the tracks and built 130 at grade level.
 #1630703  by JohnFromJersey

A couple of things:
1. Who here will be attending the Golden Spike Ceremony next Friday?
2. The track work they were doing in Farmingdale this week has been done, and it looks very good.
R&DB wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:43 pm
Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:37 am No problem. Wish I knew who’s transloading all that ethanol.
i do not have 1st hand info but have been told its Lairds in Colts Neck. Apparently used in the production of their apple jack.
The way to find out is to catch the tanker truck there at Brick and see what's written on the truck.
I thought that it was well-established that the tanker is for Laird's at this point. As for the tanker that comes to pick it up, someone said a while back that it comes in the middle of the night to ferry the ethanol from Brick Recycling to Laird's in Colts Neck
 #1630719  by pdtrains

So getting back to running everyhting thru red bank till track/trestles are fixed in the Jamesburg to Freehold area....

Lots of ways to do this......

If it were me... (and we're talking about 1 crew) Head out of red bank freehold cars 1st, then the lakewood/other SOUS cars.
Tie down the cars for lakewood just north of the crossings in farmingdale (or back a bit further if its safer)
Head to Freehold and do wotk. Then back toward Farmingdale, and tie down the Freehold empties west of Farmingdale. Then head light up the the SOUS cars that are on the SOUS main, couple up and run to Lakewood.

The next day of operation..Head up to Farmingdale with Lakewood empties, pick up the Freehold empties that are tied down on the Freehold main...and head to RB.

The down side....probably would be a 12 hour day. Maybe 3 days a week of operation would make a little easier, as less cars...If CSAO can run to RB 3 days a week.

Also tying cars down on the main.... You'd have to find a spot where kids/idiots wouldnt get to them. Morons kicking off brakes is not a good thing. UP uses portable derails now, whenever they leave cars where derails arent already installed.

I guess we'll see.......
 #1630728  by JohnFromJersey

pdtrains wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:56 pm So getting back to running everyhting thru red bank till track/trestles are fixed in the Jamesburg to Freehold area....

Lots of ways to do this......

If it were me... (and we're talking about 1 crew) Head out of red bank freehold cars 1st, then the lakewood/other SOUS cars.
Tie down the cars for lakewood just north of the crossings in farmingdale (or back a bit further if its safer)
Head to Freehold and do wotk. Then back toward Farmingdale, and tie down the Freehold empties west of Farmingdale. Then head light up the the SOUS cars that are on the SOUS main, couple up and run to Lakewood.

The next day of operation..Head up to Farmingdale with Lakewood empties, pick up the Freehold empties that are tied down on the Freehold main...and head to RB.

The down side....probably would be a 12 hour day. Maybe 3 days a week of operation would make a little easier, as less cars...If CSAO can run to RB 3 days a week.

Also tying cars down on the main.... You'd have to find a spot where kids/idiots wouldnt get to them. Morons kicking off brakes is not a good thing. UP uses portable derails now, whenever they leave cars where derails arent already installed.

I guess we'll see.......
I mean, they did park 2005 on the stub track by the wye. They could always drop the cars for Freehold off on what will become the northbound leg of the wye, run to Lakewood and back, park 752 with the Woodhaven empties somewhere on the SOUS main, switch to 2005, and run along the FIT and back, and then reconnect everything in Farmingdale. Could even get a second crew to come out and work simultaneously, if need be.