Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1475535  by B&Mguy

It’s interesting that they added the second trip on Sunday so close to the actual date of it. If you go to the trip page on the MBRRE website, there’s no mentioned of the Saturday trip any more, only Sunday. I presume that this is because Saturday has long been sold out? I do wonder how they’ll do the photo stop at Frankenstein Trestle?
 #1475786  by John Smythe

I believe it's only fair to allow the new owners of CSRX to operate the railroad how they see fit. The previous owner did things his way, Mr. Swirk has quite a bit of hands on railroading experience under his belt & wants to think outside the box. if he wants to operate his caboose (s) on the valley train then it's his call. I do know for fact that riding in a caboose is for many railfans is " A Must Do " adventure, regardless of the cost. CSRX # 573 or #7470 certainly has the extra power needed to move a caboose over the rails. I know for fact from a extremely reliable source that Mr. Swirk & his partners have many changes planned for CSRX, he is both steam friendly as well as railfan friendly.

I'd like to see the MEC track restored all the way back to The Maine / NH state Line at Fryeburg & Conway. Perhaps this will awaken the powers to be in Maine that they need to renew efforts to restore the Portland to Fryeburg ROW. I'm behind the new owners of CSRX 100% in making the whole train riding experience the best it can be .
 #1475890  by Dick H

Yesterday, the 1751 and 216 are stored on the freight house track mixed in with
the snowplow, caboose and freight cars, Quite a few cars will have to be moved
to move them to the Engine House area. Notch service starts tomorrow (6/12)
#252 was the "protect" engine for the 573 and Millie yesterday, The snowplow
now occupies the space where the 4268 sat for many years.
 #1475919  by Jonathan

John Smythe wrote:I believe it's only fair to allow the new owners of CSRX to operate the railroad how they see fit.
I agree. That’s what every owner does. One owner starts something, another builds on it, and the process continues. I would like to see what Mr. Swirk does to add onto what the Seybolds did. So far, he has expressed an interest in rebuilding 501, he bought a caboose, and 4268 is in the process of being returned to service.
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: excessive quoting
 #1475930  by drvmusic

Jonathan wrote:I agree. That’s what every owner does. One owner starts something, another builds on it, and the process continues. I would like to see what Mr. Swirk does to add onto what the Seybolds did. So far, he has expressed an interest in rebuilding 501, he bought a caboose, and 4268 is in the process of being returned to service.
Totally agree. Very much looking forward to what is in store. So excited to see 4268 progressing!
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: excessive quoting
 #1475958  by MEC407

John Smythe wrote:Perhaps this will awaken the powers to be in Maine that they need to renew efforts to restore the Portland to Fryeburg ROW.
Find someone to pay for it. :-) Until then, I'd prefer that my taxes be spent on more important things.
 #1476056  by p42thedowneaster

I believe the wye was last used (for a full turn) sometime around the year nineteen hundred and ninety six, by B&M 4266 or possibly MEC 15 shortly after the re-opening of the line. The wye was used regularly until the end of steam, and then saw sporadic use when it was used to access the peg mill.