• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by John Smythe

Just to let people know, I haven.t been hiding on this website, I'd rather be out in the open. Anyways, I want to wish all the luck in the world to the new owners of CSRX David Swirk & his partners. I do indeed look forward to seeing the day when MEC #501 will steam under her own power again. I'd like to see someone begin a new 501 thread.
Otto.... Your idea of having the MEC#470 visit Conway Scenic sounds nice however unless the group restoring her installs roller bearings on her she'll be running at Downeast Scenic only. Pan Am Railways won't allow & it's a general rule of thumb that unless the item wanting to move is equipped with " Roller Bearings " it won't be allowed to travel.
  by p42thedowneaster

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20000 ... +scenic+15+" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I remember seeing #15 with this car many times at Bartlett and Crawford's during the major restoration of the line back in the later 90s. I believe it was used to hoist ties, rails, and debris...which is probably all done now with Hi-rails.
  by backroadrails

Very interesting! I wonder if they would ever use it on the railfans day photo freights?
  by flyingfox10

No, because railfans like seeing period looking freight trains. You throw in the ugly crane car and now it looks like a hideous train. Now if it was a wreck crane that would be a little interesting, but still out of place on a freight train.
  by p42thedowneaster

The modifications to the period flat car certainly make it less of a period piece...but it is kinda neat to see. I'm sure the younger railfans would be thrilled to see it. Might even help to warm over any hard feelings about 1757 on Thomas weekend!
  by Otto Vondrak

Arborwayfan wrote:The Monticello Railway Museum (Illinois) has a caboose on its normal train and there is sometimes fierce competition to sit in it, especially the cupola. Kids like the cupola, but so do other people, and I dont think it is all railfans... None of this says that Conway Scenic could make money by repairing and running one or more cabooses. But I think it does say that a caboose does not just attract railfans.
The Conway Scenic is in the business of running passenger trains. First there's the issue of capacity: The coaches and first class cars carry more people than a caboose ever could. Just to sell a few "premium" tickets? That's a good business proposal for a railroad that runs shorter trains on an infrequent basis. I've seen other operations do it, where they have one or two coaches and then tack on a caboose. Yes the caboose is attractive for some. But that's not Conway Scenic's business model. They run long passenger trains, through mountain grades, and perform a runaround move at each end. Throw in a caboose into the mix with its freight car brakes and freight car handling, and you add unnecessary operational complications. That's what the cabooses and freight cars come out for operation on special event days only, like Railfan Day (which is a pretty ambitious schedule of operation, if you ask me).

Just my opinon.

-otto-
  by b&m 1566

Otto, you must have missed the news. The Conway Scenic purchased another more modern caboose that will be refurbished at some point and made available for private parties/functions, etc. and will only be used on the valley train. It will not become part of the regular train but added when called upon.
  by Jonathan

Otto Vondrak wrote:Throw in a caboose into the mix with its freight car brakes and freight car handling, and you add unnecessary operational complications.
I wouldn't say complications. All they are doing is occasionally adding a caboose.
Last edited by MEC407 on Fri May 18, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: excessive quoting
  by CSRR573

random thought of the day, im sure he has passed on by now, but watching older csrr videos on you tube, you can hear the old commentator Ed(I think his name was) talking about everything and everything about the railroad and he included every detail about everything about the railroad and it really added to the trip. last time I went through the notch, hell even the bartlett train, I missed his history of the valley. Things like the "sleeping Indian" and etc
  by b&m 1566

Is he the one that use to sing a song as the train pulled into the station?
  by CSRR573

Thats him! He would whistle all the time too. Talked to him a few times, talk about an encyclopedia of info
Last edited by MEC407 on Sat May 19, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
  by b&m 1566

I miss that guy and I do believe he has passed. The last time I remember him, he narrated the notch train to and from Fabyans. He had loads of info and the stories he told made the train ride really enjoyable. Half asleep by the end of the notch ride, he closed out the narration by singing a song (as he always did) and started right before the engineer blew the horn for the last crossing. He had the song timed perfectly to match the horn and the bell as the train slowly crept into the station. Having experienced him many times before, I took enjoyment seeing the smiles appear on everyone's faces because of it, it was priceless.
  by bpiche84

What they're probably basing the caboose operational model on will be what the Valley Railroad does with their caboose. They operate it one weekend a month and add it onto a train if it's chartered to do so. It's simple, it's predictable, and it's not operationally going to be getting in the way by having it taken on and off all the time.
  by Dick H

A reminder that the Mass Bay RRE "A date with Millie" trips are this Saturday and Sunday.
Depart North Conway station at 11:00AM, run down to Redstone, then west through
Bartlett to the Frankenstein Trestle. At last report, Saturday was sold out, but some
seats were available for Sunday. Weather looks like Sunny and low 70;s.