Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am Railways, For Sale/Acquisition/Merger?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1389863  by Cosakita18

Whatever rumors are floating around about how the system could potentially be divided are just that... Rumors. As far as I know most of the confiemed talk has involved PAS / D3 and most of us are making Wild speculations about the fate of District 1 and District 2.

That being said, Waterville is a foolish place to cut up the system and I can't think of any railroad that would actually want Keag-Waterville. Even PAR only runs daily NMWA / WANM trains out of grim necessity. NS and / or WATCO certainly fighting over that stretch of the system
 #1389910  by MEC407

Cosakita18 wrote:As far as I know most of the confiemed talk has involved PAS / D3...
Confirmed where, and by who?
 #1389925  by Cosakita18

MEC407 wrote: Confirmed where, and by who?
As in, we know that there is something in the works involving PAS, that much has been fairly clear for a while, but the fate of the rest of the system is still anyone's guess.
 #1389997  by GulfRail

If Norfolk Southern bought out Pan Am, I think a lot of customers would be willing to give rail another chance, since Norfolk Southern has a better reputation for customer service than Pan Am does.
 #1390042  by MaineCentral252

GulfRail wrote:If Norfolk Southern bought out Pan Am, I think a lot of customers would be willing to give rail another chance, since Norfolk Southern has a better reputation for customer service than Pan Am does.
That's not really saying much, as it's not hard to have better service than PAR. However, why would NS be interested in anything other that PAS? The entire MEC is a fixer-upper, perfect for the right regional operator but a major turn-off for a class 1.
 #1390048  by CN9634

Actually district 1 from WTVL to Portland is in decent shape. The branches need a tune up, but the majority of slows are switches. Quite a bit of welded rail in there (Portland almost to Danville) and in the next year there is slated for 15 miles more (track or linear I can't recall).

There are crews tamping and regulating ballast out there too this summer, one working Portland east and another in the Auburn area.
 #1390089  by BostonUrbEx

I made a thing.

http://i.imgur.com/eRi95pW.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Purely hypothetical. The MEC could actually be a very slim, lean operation for Norfolk Southern. The only hard pill to swallow is the Rumford Branch, which would inevitably decline and go bust even if NS service proves to make for a short-term uptick in traffic.
 #1390103  by roberttosh

Are things at Rumford and Jay really as bad as everyone has been saying? Paper is obviously not used like it was in the old days, but I can't see where we get a rid of it altogether any time soon and plus didn't Jay just convert a machine to making a specially packaging type of paper for the food industry? Not sure why everyone seems to be convinced both mills are living in borrowed time....
 #1390123  by b&m 1566

BostonUrbEx wrote:I made a thing.

http://i.imgur.com/eRi95pW.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Purely hypothetical. The MEC could actually be a very slim, lean operation for Norfolk Southern. The only hard pill to swallow is the Rumford Branch, which would inevitably decline and go bust even if NS service proves to make for a short-term uptick in traffic.
What's with the yellow?
 #1390128  by F-line to Dudley via Park

roberttosh wrote:Are things at Rumford and Jay really as bad as everyone has been saying? Paper is obviously not used like it was in the old days, but I can't see where we get a rid of it altogether any time soon and plus didn't Jay just convert a machine to making a specially packaging type of paper for the food industry? Not sure why everyone seems to be convinced both mills are living in borrowed time....
Verso is for-reals Chapter 11 bankrupt. So yes, Jay is at mortal terror threat for sudden closure or downsizing depending on how the company gets restructured. As Verso is a pretty vast (and vastly messed-up) conglomerate the reorg puzzle pieces that trigger decisions on Jay's future more likely than not have absolutely nothing to do with Jay, making a prognosis doubly unpredictable. If court-approval of the reorg plan requires sacrificing one plant so the pieces fit and ledgers balance on some wholly unrelated sector of the company, things can change very suddenly and out of left field.

If Jay falls Rumford destabilizes in a big way. Their rail rates increase a lot, and with the rest of the printed paper supply chain in New England gone post-Jay they are saddled with additional price inflexibility on expenditures because of their more extreme regional isolation as last man standing. Their owners are in British Columbia and manage several regional clusters of plants, some of them likewise operating at less-than-full capacity because of the decline in demand. If Rumford becomes a far-isolated outpost with no additional cost efficiencies to wring because of the disappeared Maine supply chain, if forced with a choice of pruning a plant in the Midwest situated where they have several plants...or pruning Rumford over a thousand miles away from any other company holdings...Rumford zooms much further up the list. It most definitely does NOT become stronger by being the last game in town...quite the opposite. So Rumford could be closed even if it's presently operating at outright higher capacity and profitability than another company plant in a different region, simply because Rumford's extreme regional isolation in a post-Jay world is that much of a liability to the continentally-distributed conglomerate that owns them. Absolutely no interests inside the state of Maine will have any bearing on how this plays out. Shareholders and execs who've never set foot in Maine are going to be making those decisions off a spreadsheet and formulas about which potential moves do what to the stock price. You can throw the sum total of local, on-the-ground knowledge out the window when making a stab at a prediction, because it'll get decided very far away by strangers chewing on very abstract financial models.

Yes...this is a highly volatile and unpredictable situation that won't have any clarity you can place betting odds on until a clear picture takes shape of Verso's final Chapter 11 reorg plan. Best case is Jay gets lucky in the reshuffle and winds up +1 higher priority in the corporate pecking order, which in turn answers enough of Rumford's owners' questions about the disappearing supply chain for status quo to be a safe choice from one Five-year Plan to the next. Worst case is Jay winds up odd-man-out in the reorg, gets scuttled like Bucksport did because nobody's interested in buying a plant that no longer has a robust regional supply chain, and the falling dominoes send Rumford's owners heading for the exits. Right now it's a total crapshoot where any extreme and any point in between is possible, and developments are highly month-to-month volatile because of the nature of Chapter 11 negotiations.
 #1390135  by mec 381

Don't count Jay out just yet. Verso seems to want to keep and run that mill and it has been doing just fine here lately. I haul a lot of caustic up there and talk to some of the guys and there seems to be no indication that Verso wants to shut that mill down. The big reason Bucksport was axed, was because there was no pulp mill; all pulp came from Jay.
 #1390145  by Cosakita18

It seems like we MAY (fingers crossed) have hit the bottom of the barrel for the paper industry in Maine. Of the 5 major mills left in the state, 4 are relatively healthy and Verso is making investments in their Jay plant so they clearly see some kind of future in it. The other mills are beginning to shift to other types of paper with more promising and stable futures.
 #1390163  by MEC407

Don't tell that to Governor LePage; he said fairly recently that they're all "dying or on life support" or something to that effect.