• Pan Am Railways, For Sale/Acquisition/Merger?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Cosakita18

I think the biggest appeal about the ramp in Portland is that there is so much room to grow. Portland is in an ideal position to take advantage of new arctic shipping lanes from Asia.
  by CN9634

Cosakita18 wrote:I think the biggest appeal about the ramp in Portland is that there is so much room to grow. Portland is in an ideal position to take advantage of new arctic shipping lanes from Asia.
No its not. Halifax and Saint John are. Portland can keep dreaming but their have no real estate for a ship larger than 1200 TEU. Also the politics of the northwest passage won't realize it as a real shipping lane if at all for years.
  by GulfRail

I say sell everything south and west of Portland to NS and sell the MEC to WATCO or Irving.
  by CPF363

CN9634 wrote:No its not. Halifax and Saint John are. Portland can keep dreaming but their have no real estate for a ship larger than 1200 TEU. Also the politics of the northwest passage won't realize it as a real shipping lane if at all for years.

All of the more reason ST has to get the line to Mattawamkeag operational again.
  by Rockingham Racer

Good luck on that. They can't even run a snappy operation with the lines they have right now.
  by GulfRail

Do you mean there hasn't been any NS power at Deerfield or do you mean there have been no NS run-throughs with PAS?
  by newpylong

Neither - the yard was cleaned up and tracks repaired last week in anticipation of NS officials coming this week and they did not come.
  by B&M 1227

that's certainly one way to scare the company into fixing the physical plant. maybe next week they'll be coming to check out all the 10mph sidings... :wink:
  by gokeefe

johnpbarlow wrote:For all you Facebookers, here's more grist for the mill: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

And here's the original South Portland Sentry article (Pan Am reference is at article's end):
http://sentry.mainelymediallc.com/news/ ... _sale.html
I'm not convinced this isn't just a case of someone reading something online (possibly this very forum) and reporting on it in public. If that individual had made it clear at least in general terms where his information was coming from I would find it more convincing. Significant nonetheless.
  by GulfRail

gokeefe wrote:I'm not convinced this isn't just a case of someone reading something online (possibly this very forum) and reporting on it in public. If that individual had made it clear at least in general terms where his information was coming from I would find it more convincing. Significant nonetheless.
Same. Considering Gov. LePaige's track record, I think it'd be best to wait and see what happens with GTI/Pan Am before jumping to conclusions.
  by strangelyamused

wow that Facebook article/screenshot nearly gave me chills. Am i the only one sad to see Pan am go? Yes, they have their fair of problems but i will sill miss it. I can imagine NS not really caring too much for the smaller money making customers/general freight etc. I just hope it doesnt get slowly phased out until all thats left is intermodal and autos. And then comes the death of yet another small regional line. Im sure the autos and intermodal will stay but whats new england without a boxcars and old shitty engines?
  by newpylong

After having seen the B&M raped and pillaged and its infrastructure left by the wayside I think you are in the minority if you will miss this outfit. My only fear is for the workers and I hope most get rehired.

The system has been marginalized already to the extent that further reduction in service (ie branchlines) would not really be cost beneficial, even to a Class I looking to only capitalize on mainline traffic.