Railroad Forums 

• MBTA's MPI HSP-46 Locomotives

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1345054  by Arlington

And what's our impression of how "Winter Ready" the HSPs will be? In terms of: they know what went wrong and can fix/adapt it (this may, or may not, be the same as the post-production mods now going on).

My sense is that theyve been doing OK from a "Heat Wave Ready" standpoint (haven't heard of any "hot" crises to go with last winter's "cold" ones)
 #1345302  by Bramdeisroberts

Arlington wrote:And what's our impression of how "Winter Ready" the HSPs will be? In terms of: they know what went wrong and can fix/adapt it (this may, or may not, be the same as the post-production mods now going on).

My sense is that theyve been doing OK from a "Heat Wave Ready" standpoint (haven't heard of any "hot" crises to go with last winter's "cold" ones)
I'll bet that those barn door-sized radiator vents probably help a bit in the heat. I've never seen a passenger locomotive that you could quite literally see through, and the cooling equipment on these still looks totally nuts compared to the EMD locos.

And I was under the impression that 2-strokes tended to run hotter than 4-strokes, too.
 #1345318  by MEC407

For both types of engines, the new emissions standards require significantly more cooling capacity than in the past. That's why on the freight side you're seeing EMD ECO rebuilds with radiators massively larger than before, even for the 8-cyl and 12-cyl repower packages.