• MBTA's MPI HSP-46 Locomotives

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Bramdeisroberts

I've seen it in YouTube videos of HSP's, as well as hearing it, especially under what I presume is dynamic braking coming down the neponset bridge. I figured it was from the solid-state power-handling systems to drive the AC traction motors, similar to what you hear from European AC traction motive power.
  by Fan Railer

For reference, this is the GE AC motor / inverter sound from a P32AC-DM in electric mode (no rev up from the prime mover; easier to hear the traction equipment when the engineer advances the throttle): http://youtu.be/nRZVnPSbOOw?t=3m10s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The HSP uses the same motor / inverter package.
  by atsf sp

Rode the CapeFlyer today and in Middleboro I saw two hsp's coupled together offline in the layover yard. Anyone know which units these were?
  by The ViRoCo

2008 and 2010 were on the CapeFLYER. The two other units in the layover yard have been there for a week or so. I don't know the numbers.
On the way to Hyannis past Bridgewater 2008 was having a rough ride after they hit 40 mph. They operated no faster than 40 after they got onto MC territory. Even on the way back into Boston, they were still running at 40 tops.
  by Cosmo

Actually, (IMHO) 40 mph is pretty good if they were really able to do all of it for most of the (MC) route. A steady average of 35 mph with no traffic stops (ie: red lights, turns, congestion etc) is what you'd need to begin to approach "competitive" with driving.
  by The ViRoCo

Cosmo wrote:Actually, (IMHO) 40 mph is pretty good if they were really able to do all of it for most of the (MC) route. A steady average of 35 mph with no traffic stops (ie: red lights, turns, congestion etc) is what you'd need to begin to approach "competitive" with driving.
To my knowledge, they really don't go over 40 mph past the bridge toward Hyannis. They'll go about 55 from Middleboro to Wareham.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

The ViRoCo wrote:
Cosmo wrote:Actually, (IMHO) 40 mph is pretty good if they were really able to do all of it for most of the (MC) route. A steady average of 35 mph with no traffic stops (ie: red lights, turns, congestion etc) is what you'd need to begin to approach "competitive" with driving.
To my knowledge, they really don't go over 40 mph past the bridge toward Hyannis. They'll go about 55 from Middleboro to Wareham.
59 MPH North of the Bridge (except for a few speed restrictions here and there) and 30 MPH South of the Bridge
  by jmar896

2 HSPs were in the Worcester layover yard around 7:30 today. They all seem to have the sooty headlight problem
(Sorry for the thumbnail no images wider then 800 pixels are allowed)
The one in the front had the 8 car superset
  by GP40MC1118

Saturday Extra out of Middleboro after 6AM for Readville. Picking up 4 HSP46's
there and bringing them to Middleboro. Mass Coastal eventually takes them
to Rochester.

D
  by Mass Coastal 2010

Today around 2:30pm train 015 to Middleboro met an Extra (Extra 1722) from Middleboro (?). It had a regular commuter rail set that was used earlier in the day. The power for this extra was four HSP46's! I only know one number- 2024 as it was on the set before it was ran as an extra.
-Mike
  by chrisf

GP40MC1118 wrote:Saturday Extra out of Middleboro after 6AM for Readville. Picking up 4 HSP46's
there and bringing them to Middleboro. Mass Coastal eventually takes them
to Rochester.

D
Why were/are these getting shipped out? Warranty/acceptance work?