Railroad Forums 

• Reasonable Long Term Hopes

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1244587  by BPP1999

According to PA TEC, AmTrak will charge $12,000 round trip for each four-car SEPTA train to go from Thorndale to Atglen. This expansion would need to be heavily subsidized.

The above poster is right - we are really missing out. Other states are expanding their systems but we can't even restore service. It does not have to be this way. Hopefully viewpoints change with the new funding bill. Though I am biased I think Pottstown should be the first line restored as this area is pure sprawl, but with old downtowns that want restored train service. Newtown seem obvious to me as well but Bucks County must be run by complete losers. They should be demanding for Newtown, New Hope, and Quakertown. The development that is going on in Upper Bucks is not sustainable considering there is no real highway service - nor will there ever be.
 #1244590  by Suburban Station

$12k per trip or per year per rt?

one thing we can all agree in i think, atglen should be at the bottom of the list. parkesburg is nearby, its small, and the other places promise much better ridership. they should just add a few keystones during the morning rush and on weekends. one of the bucks county republicans is a primeary force against plcb privatization. nuff said
 #1244615  by Clearfield

Suburban Station wrote:$12k per trip or per year per rt?

one thing we can all agree in i think, atglen should be at the bottom of the list. parkesburg is nearby, its small, and the other places promise much better ridership. they should just add a few keystones during the morning rush and on weekends. one of the bucks county republicans is a primeary force against plcb privatization. nuff said
Except that Parkesburg, Atglen and Coatesville have a subsidy sponsor - PENNDOT. Newtown will continue to be an orphan.
 #1244620  by 25Hz

On the subject of rail service to the old downtowns..... THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! I totally support service expansion to new hope, though that is an entirely separate can of worms (NHIRR partnership?).

These are places aching for regional tourists, and, really you could have big events, festivals, etc that bring huge money from all over the world if you really took the time and built the train system we need. It would be like a second economic revolution, with lots of connectivity you get lots of economic stimulation. I think the REAL problem here is that public transit is seen as a liability vs an asset. That is the problem, and if we can educate people on all the HUGE benefits of a properly inter-connected region and mega-region, then maybe we'd start to reverse cuts and start expansions. No one wants to ride a system that us woefully inadequate, you gotta built it then the people come, you cannot base it on studies and charts and the past. You wanna know why SEPTA is so fail-tastic, is because it was never given a chance. As soon as SEPTA took over from conrail, cuts, more cuts, cuts cuts cuts. Who the hell wants to rely on a system when every schedule for the last 5 years has cuts and fare increases? /rant :P

But seriously, lets get our votes out and vote for people who are going to pull us into the future that we need, and not further into this rabbit-hole of BS and old feuds, and bad blood and misinformation and more traffic jams, lost economic activity.......
 #1244658  by bikentransit

I recently took a trip to Still River, MA and had the opportunity to ride the T's Fitchburg line into Boston. I know very little about the old Boston & Maine system, but from what I've learned, MBTA made huge investments to completely restore abandoned lines or make improvements to the existing ones, including expansion that added capacity. Despite being the same age as all the other "rustbelt" railroads, SEPTA seems to be the only one that constantly beats the "state of good repair" drum. NJT, LIRR and MBTA all have old bridges and stations too, but they aren't masking "state of good repair" with an agenda that is really transitizing a commuter rail system. SEPTA seems to distort the real agenda which includes bypassing expansion.

From what I can tell, the areas that aren't getting expansion aren't getting it because SEPTA and other planners have "spiked" the cool aid so the politicians have no reason to fight for dormant corridors. Don't you think if SEPTA was telling the politicians that the Bucks County market is underserved and under capacity (which they oddly said in a certain 1991 study) that the politicians would be doing their job and getting the funding? So SEPTA goes on record saying corridor X is unfeasible, too costly, low ridership, yada-yada, so the politicians ignore the public when they ask for service expansions. Fix that problem and certain corridors will come back.

So back to MBTA, the Fitchburg line was a very pleasant ride. I boarded from the Littleton-495 station, and was about an hour ride into Boston. This station was brand new, complete with high platforms. What struck me as odd was that the parking lot was only about 70 or 80 spots. What strikes me as odd is that SEPTA usually shuts down stations with that kind of ridership, and only wants new stations with large capacity facilities. Littleton was intended to be a park and ride from the local expressway, and was in a very rural area that probably doesn't get much walk up ridership.

So I can only conclude that something is amiss with how SEPTA uses their money, sets priorities and brainwashes political leaders. Of course there is the Pennsylvania factor too, but that issue could be addressed by expanding the sphere of influence by making the SEPTA railroad a state concern instead of a regional one. Bring in other markets such as Pottstown, Reading, Hershey and Scranton, and there will be more voters on our side and all the good projects here will be a step closer to attainability. Until then, same old-same old.
 #1244671  by The EGE

Littleton was just redone; it's part of a big upgrade package that includes 9 miles of double tracking, two wholly rebuilt stations, and a 4-mile extension. Ridership was about 250 a day which is typical; there's lots of kiss-and-rides. Between the nicer station, general growth, and faster / more frequent service coming next year, Littleton's ridership has grown substantially; they're talking about a small garage which would have been unthinkable even five years ago.
 #1244906  by Tritransit Area

With the new USPS distribution center down there, a 70th Street Station on the Airport Line would be very useful for those coming from Center City. Sadly, I don't think that's even on the table for discussion.

Regarding Bucks County, the fight is for the growing Pennridge/Quakertown area, not Newtown. I'm not sure who besides Newtown borough and railfans is really clamoring for such a line to return to service, to be honest. In the meantime, demand for service up the 309 corridor is growing - that's why SEPTA restructured the weekday service to provide half-hourly service to Colmar (because everyone was driving to Lansdale for the half-hourly service).

Honestly, maybe now that SEPTA, for the first time in a very long time, has stable, predictable funding, we can actually start taking expansion much more seriously. It was difficult to talk expansion when you aren't sure if the next year you will be able to maintain existing service, and people who are in the position to award funding for expansion projects saw that.
 #1245288  by SCB2525

jtaeffner wrote:maybe this isn't reasonable, but i've always wondered about subsidizing an NH&I commuter service during the weekend, say four round trips a day, warminster to new hope during the tourist season. i know they do it once or twice a year; anyone have an idea how successful it is?
Four round trips would do little to attract riders away from just driving to Warminster. If NH&I were to be subsidized, it would make more sense to have half-hourly peak and at worst 2 hour off peak service from say Rushland to say Fern Rock or 30th Lower Level via the Railworks era CSX Blue Line route. They could extend those runs to New Hope as they wish to promote their tourist trains.

However, moving from a tourist operation to commuter, the ADA would come into play and they'd have to put mini-highs in at those stations. And being that you'd only be extending an existing electric route 5 or so miles it would mnake more sense to just extend electrification like was the case with Warminster and have SEPTA buy/lease the portion in question.
 #1245637  by pistolpete66

Clearfield wrote:I didn't mention Newtown because service to it only exists as a fantasy in the minds of railfans, and not in the minds of anyone able or willing to restore it.
Really? Did you attend all the public meetings with supervisors and commissioners held by PA-TEC in Newtown Boro, Newtown Township, Yardley, Hatboro, Southampton, George School, Richboro, Warrington, Wrightstown, and Bryn Athyn where there was routinely unanimous support for restoration of the line? Did you see the nice dossier of signed resolutions from the township officials giving full support of restored service? http://newtownline.pa-tec.org/documents/
Most importantly, were you around when PA-TEC met with Senator Chuck McIlhinney and Representative Steve Santasiero - both at the politico's invitation - to discuss rational options for basic restoration, only to have Bucks County Commissioner Charlie Martin invite himself to meetings at Pat Deon's insistance to discredit PA-TEC's efforts?

The support is there by many who are able and willing, but they are silenced by SEPTA and DVRPC. The system is fixed. It always has been and it always will be. You are correct in that the only reason Atglen is getting a station is does not need is because PennDOT is subsidizing it, but more importantly, because the line is already running, there is minimal opposition and it is owned by Amtrak, not SEPTA.
 #1245692  by bikentransit

Clearfield wrote:
pistolpete66 wrote:
Clearfield wrote:I didn't mention Newtown because service to it only exists as a fantasy in the minds of railfans, and not in the minds of anyone able or willing to restore it.
Really? Did you attend all the public meetings with supervisors and commissioners held by PA-TEC in Newtown Boro, Newtown Township, Yardley, Hatboro, Southampton, George School, Richboro, Warrington, Wrightstown, and Bryn Athyn where there was routinely unanimous support for restoration of the line? Did you see the nice dossier of signed resolutions from the township officials giving full support of restored service? http://newtownline.pa-tec.org/documents/
No, but neither have I seen ANY POLITICIAN step up to the plate to even discuss funding for the reactivation of the line. SEPTA doesn't tell legislators what to do, its the other way around.
What I heard is that SEPTA and certain board members shooed the other Bucks County politicians away from Newtown. So if the pols are told its a bad project, they're not going to bat for it. Seems you are providing misinformation here.
 #1245846  by 25Hz

Newtown line is a PITA because you need all parties involved pushing for restoration of service, once that happens, it will become reality. Perhaps some phone calls and emails need to be sent to get everyone on the same page, and then move forward from there.....?
 #1245897  by Pacobell73

bikentransit wrote:What I heard is that SEPTA and certain board members shooed the other Bucks County politicians away from Newtown. So if the pols are told its a bad project, they're not going to bat for it.
That is correct.
Clearfield wrote:SEPTA doesn't tell legislators what to do, its the other way around.
According to some people, perhaps. But not always. SEPTA may want the general public to believe that, but it is not always the case. Newtown is one of those instances.

I have been reading this post with interest and frustration. Moderator AlexC made a good point noting how every post about the Newtown line revolves around trains coming back and why can’t it happen. Many feel they are in the know. Enough time has passed that the facts can be dispersed and the Railroad.net readers and Newtown fans will have closure. Here is what happened. All of it.

PA-TEC was started in mid-2009 by three individuals, I being one of them. Our initial goal was to truly understand why the Newtown line remained derelict after the herculean efforts made to restore service in the 1990s. The first goal was to gauge support from residents. To that end, a petition was started and promoted at SEPTA stations with mock timetables (clearly stating such). Over 5,000 responses were received, from local residents, commuters and of course, train buffs. Most support came from Bucks residents but a good 35% were MontoCo. We spoke to DVRPC officials who advised that both they and SEPTA will do what the pols want; we had to “sell” the benefits of the reactivated Newtown line to them. PA-TEC also spoke directly with Byron Comati, SEPTA Director of Strategic Planning and Analysis, on several occasions. He reiterated all the things working against the line, but admitted there was a need for it. He also said without political support, there is no point in proceeded.

PA-TEC then embarked on a Newtown Line Campaign Blitz. The website R8Newtown.com was created. PA-TEC devised a very simple plan involving an incremental expansion instead of all at once. With few exceptions (MBTA Greenbush line), this is how every other transit agency in North America embarks on expansion projects – little by little. Every politician at a local and Commonwealth level that had a say in the line was contacted, with their corresponding email address being listed on the website. Interested users could send one cohesive letter, outlining the benefits and basic start-up costs to all politicians in one shot. Eventually, SEPTA began receiving calls almost daily from politicians they did not even know existed. The pols were armed with basic facts concerning population, ridership estimates, etc. and wanted to know more about this railroad line owned by SEPTA within the 5-county region that very few had even heard of.

The constant barrage of emails and phone calls resulted in SEPTA calling at their headquarters on January 15, 2010. All major political players were in attendance. SEPTA CFO Richard Burnfield commented that it marked the only time major representatives of this magnitude from both counties and related townships were together in the same room with SEPTA to discuss the Newtown line in earnest (interestingly, Bucks County Commissioner and SEPTA Board member Charlie Martin called in from his Doylestown office). Burnfield ran the meeting and discussed how residents along the Newtown corridor could drive to the Warminster or West Trenton line for service. PA-TEC respectfully disagreed and explained how the line will attract many drive-tos from a larger catchment area like Wrightstown, Richboro as well as displaced Warminster or West Trenton riders (case in point - nearly all those cars parked at Hatboro and Warminster are not locals; same would hold true to Newtown and Southampton). I spoke with both Mr. Comati and Mr. Burnfield, thanked them for holding the meeting and said if it not meant to be, PA-TEC will go quietly. Both men were respectful, understanding, well spoken, educated and shrewd when called for. Notably, a young Burnfield was on hand when the line switched to busses in 1983 so he was able to offer firsthand insight. When asked about the possibility of public/private partnerships (DBOM, like NJT's RiverLINE and Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, as well as Denver RTA), Comati said that was not possible in the Commonwealth because laws enacted in the 1950s forbid it. In addition, there is no dedicated tax for rail expansion in the Commonwealth. NJ, CO, CT, MD, VA and MA all do not have these restrictions. Also, unlike most states, SEPTA is not a branch of the Commonwealth's DOT. Nearly every other state with passenger rail service includes it as part of their corresponding DOT program. In essence, SEPTA has few options to consider for expansion and funding, leading the belief that Pennsylvania is still stuck in the mud. At the conclusion of the meeting, State representative Steve Santarsiero stood up and said, “there will be a study done, and I will see to it.” Bucks County Commissioner Diane Marseglia was also in attendance and a staunch supporter. Comati also stated that he was impressed with the level of professionalism PA-TEC exhibited and asked that we keep him in the loop as to our progress, which we did. PA-TEC was about creating healthy working relationships and maintaining transparency.

The next major event was a Town Hall Meeting sponsored by the Newtown 21st Century Voice group at George School on February 28, 2010 which was streamed live online. There was near unanimous support from all attendees. State representative Steve Santarsiero was in attendance that afternoon and publically supported restored service as well as improved bus service to NJT’s Trenton station. He was not blind to the fact that commuters need options in both directions.http://www.cheltenhamchamberofcitizens. ... 3-5-10.pdf

PA-TEC explaining details of the Newtown Branch project - George School meeting - 2.28.10

State representative Santasiero addressing attendees at George School, supporting PA-TEC's efforts and better public transport - 2.28.10Image

PA-TEC continued their Newtown line campaign meetings with the following towns:
- Abington EAC (10.9.09)
- Rockledge (11.29.09)
- Upper Southampton (1.6.10)
- Wrightstown (4.12.10) - http://www.cheltenhamchamberofcitizens. ... -13-10.pdf
- Newtown Boro (4.20.10) - http://www.buckslocalnews.com/articles/ ... 263732.txt
- Newtown Township EAC (4.26.10 http://www.twp.newtown.pa.us/commission ... 426min.htm)
- Upper Moreland (5.10.10, 12.20,10 http://www.uppermoreland.org/commission ... spx?id=312)
- Lower Makefield (6.2.10)
- Warwick (6.22.10 http://www.buckslocalnews.com/articles/ ... 345427.prt - "The Board of Supervisors unanimously adopted a second resolution in support of reinstated commuter rail service on the Newtown-Fox Chase commuter rail corridor"
- Middletown (7.12.10)
- Warrington (7.27.10)
- Newtown (8.1.10)
- Hatboro (8.16.10)
- Bryn Athyn (10.4.10)
- Jenkintown (10.13.10).

In the process, we obtained support from the likes of State reps Josh Shapiro, Tom Murt, and Senator Chuck McIllhinney. SEPTA did a good job erasing the line from existence, as younger pols had never even heard of the Newtown branch. We received unanimous support from nearly every township and have the resolutions to prove it. We also spoke at Bucks County Community College (11.19.10). These discussions were not just about the Newtown line, but dealt with Regional Sustainability and Regional Planning and how resumption of even minimal service plays an important role in that. Gannett Fleming, Inc. was tapped to begin a basic study with Santarsiero securing money from the state. We were happy that the Newtown line was now back in the news and being represented in a positive light. It appeared many old political obstacles had died away and there was a genuine chance the branch would at least find its place back on SEPTA's Long Range Planning report. PA-TEC had found the line's political cheerleader. Next would be a Senator who shared Santarsiero's views.

Then came the meeting with Senator Chuck McIllhinney. McIllhinney was very interested in the group and our ideas based on his communication with Santarsiero. Within minutes of the meeting’s start, Bucks County Commissioner and SEPTA Board member Charlie Martin arrived unexpectedly, saying SEPTA Board chairman Pat Deon (a Bucks County resident) insisted Martin be present. Martin then proceeded to discredit PA-TEC at every point in our presentation and our efforts to dissuade McIllhinney from being interested. Instead of being a discussion with McIllhinney, it was a tennis match between PA-TEC and Martin to create the illusion of controversy. Concerning the Jenkintown parking garage, Martin said he himself would much rather drive to Jenkintown to board SEPTA Southampton (his hometown or Newtown) and most residents would do the same. We asked him if he would like us to publish the fact the Bucks County Commissioner feels his constituents should drive to MontCo to board a train. He had no response. Martin added that “no trains will ever run on that line again. If they ever do, it will be done by SEPTA.” I will let all of you interpret that on your own. The meeting was an eye-opener and proof positive that certain factions within SEPTA are the reason the line is dead.

Threats and brainwashing continued. PA-TEC met with Upper Moreland in May 2010 and received notable support from Commissioner Lisa Romaniello. She was later advised by representative of SEPTA by supporting Newtown line restoration efforts, she would nullify funding for the Willow Grove station redevelopment. Our last call with Lisa Romaniello was the sound of a visibly shaken person.

Bucks County Commissioner Diane Marseglia was a wonderful resource for PA-TEC. She too was silenced when she became DVRPC Secretary. We have not heard from her since, and when we last did, she was not the same person. DVPRC put her in a corner and it was obvious.

We attempted to meet with Northampton Township, who at the time was led by Pat Deon's brother, Vince Deon. Vince told us to "get lost - we don't need outsiders telling us what to do." The brash Vince was voted out shortly thereafter and cooler heads now prevail in Northampton, who have gone on record saying "no trails"http://northampton.patch.com/groups/pol ... r-township and that commuter trains are needed, but there is no money.

PA-TEC also testified at the State Transportation Commission for the Newtown line’s inclusion in PennDOT’s 12-year transportation program on September 2, 2009. We also met with PennDOT representatives in Harrisburg in Summer 2011 to discuss the Newtown line and its relation to I-95. They were alarmed that neither SEPTA nor DVRPC included the line as it related to PennDOT’s massive reconstruction project slated for I-95. Some never even heard of the line whatsoever. They wished there was more they could do. Since SEPTA was not a part of PennDOT whatsoever, nothing could be done but watch and question.

Five years later, I can say I was there for all of it. We spoke to every pol possible, we kissed babies, and we were told "no" as many times as "yes." There were a few occasional "whys" and some "you guys are nuts. But you've gotten father than most would have." Some politicians were myopic, some doubtful, and some outright loving the idea and wondered why SEPTA said nothing about the line - but all supported better public transportation. On several occasions, Comati and Burnfield kindly asked us, “can’t you guys like a different line?” They too are acutely aware of the political football surrounding the corridor. PA-TEC has no ill will towards those who have helped us, listened to us and even slammed doors in our faces. There are greater forces at work that have something to hide. Whatever that is, is it probably locked away with details pertaining to the JFK assassination.

http://www.pa-tec.org/
http://newtownline.pa-tec.org/n1.html
http://newtownline.pa-tec.org/documents/

Of course, PA-TEC was mocked right here on RR.net with "hey, PA-TEC, how is the Newtown line going? I heard you got it up and running. Great work." What we did not hear from this community or the Bob Clearfields and Matthew Mitchells was, "how can I help?" "Where is the next presentation?" "What townships have signed resolutions?" PA-TEC did have one young man in his early 20s who followed us around in the beginning and loudly supported the efforts for the line. Last we heard, he took the road more easily traveled and is now the Communucations Director at DVARP. It is much easier to play Monday Morning Quarterback from the comfort of one's laptop or dismiss the efforts as fruitless when in fact one does not have the perseverance to endure pure politics week after week, night after night, asking pointed questions about a prickly topic that few wanted to deal with but many wanted answers to.

We spoke to more politicians who said, "well, SEPTA said is needs to be double tracked, right? SEPTA said it needs full electrification, yes? That will cost billions." We learned that SEPTA prepared a rolodex of excuses why the line had no chance and simply rolled through them when questions arose. We never disagreed. We would respond with, "it could be double tracked in places, but it is not necessary" (pointing to the Warminster line), or "yes, electric can be done inexpensively, but dual mode cars are available and used on NJT, Metro-North and Amtrak. SEPTA just needs to be reminded to think outside the box." We spent a great deal of time correcting the errors and misinformation spewed for so long.

When a lie is told repeatedly for so many years as has been done by SEPTA and DVRPC, you will start to take it as truth. Brainwashing is effective and used by those in power. If someone keeps trying to whitewash a turd with, people will start believing it. Conversely, if something good is blacklisted, like the Newtown line, you will believe that lie as well. The line only became a hotbed for upheaval because SEPTA and politicians made itthat way. It is what the line represents vs. what it actually accomplishes. Its evils are everywhere in discussion but nowhere in substance. Politics keeps the tiny Cynwyd line alive, not ridership. Politics keeps the Newtown line dead, not lack of ridership.

At this point, all we can say is to continue contacting your local, county and state representative. Most have seen our proposals. Aside from a Santarsiero, Marseglia or McIllhinney, most will simply go with the flow and only stand behind a project that wins them votes.

PA-TEC supports all rail expansion projects provided money is allotted properly to them. Projects should be driven by need, not politics, which is bad policy
The list is here. http://pa-tec.org/projects.html

We welcome all discussions on all projects in rational, respectful terms.
Thank you.
Last edited by Pacobell73 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
 #1245985  by BPP1999

Great post, PacoBell. Thanks for the information, even if it is disturbing and tragic.

That being said, I have reviewed and re-reviewed PA-TEC's website, and I don't agree with everything I see there. That website takes issue with the projection of 3k new daily users on a restored Reading line. It then says "How could this be when ridership was only 690 when the line was cut?" Ok, maybe so, but what about the tens of thousands of people, most of them well-educated professionals, who live along the Route 422 corridor that weren't there 30 years ago (or even 20 years ago). Populations and demographics have changed significantly. I would think the TEC would want restored service to on-the-rebound anti-sprawl towns via an underutilized, well cared for, double-tracked line complete with gorgeous abandoned stations and large parking areas, such as those in R-Ford and P-Town.

If Newtown is so despised by some well-connected cronies, why not take the advice mentioned in your post and focus on another line?
 #1246000  by AlexC

Removed the finger pointing.