Railroad Forums 

• Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1052016  by Ridgefielder

KEN PATRICK wrote:railroad ties will not be accepted at mass burn plants. they must be landfilled at $55-$65/ton ( $3 tie). look at the 'pile' and gons and project the total costs of disposal. i don't live near a railroad but have run across this practice in bidding on a rail removal project. i projected tie disposal costs to be equal to the value of rail and otm only to be laughed out of the room by folk who routinely discarded ties on the row. i notice that pwrr has been told by the epa to clean up old ties. g&u is avoiding tie disposal costs. it should be forced by the epa and towns to dispose of these properly. ken patrick
Who said they were going to Massachussetts? If they're loaded in a gon suitable for interchange they could go anywhere from Hay River, Northwest Territories, to Tapachula, Mexico.
 #1052033  by jimw

In my opinion, the RRFFC report is a royal wast of time and effort!

That town will never change, they are so against any successful business. I do however find it ironic that for 40+ years Upton Fuel and Construction Company operated in that same location and did things that would shock the locals today.... maybe because the owner was the head of the DPW at the time...... just a thought......
 #1052082  by apple1

Here is the Transmittal Letter from the RRFFC dated 4 May 2012.
Here is the Draft Report of the RRFFC dated 4 May 2012.

And now you know why almost everything is now made in China.
 #1053480  by MaineCoonCat

On June 11th 2012, Sandra Hakala, Department Coordinator - Town of Upton, Ma. wrote: in the Meeting Minutes of the Selectmen Meeting 5/15/12:

135 Distribute the Executive Summary of the Railroad Fact Finding Committee
136 Ms. Robinson prepared at the request of the fact finding committee a copy of a transmittal letter,
137 and draft of the executive summary, table of contents and opinions of the committee on whether
138 or not the Board of Selectmen should file for a declaratory ruling from the Surface
139 Transportation Board. The RFFC had asked that the Board be provided with this portion of the
140 report for their review, prior to the RFFC making a formal presentation to the Selectmen at the
141 June 5th meeting.
 #1053508  by MaineCoonCat

I previously wrote: Just quietly wondering... Once trackage and service is restored through to Milford, will they quietly "stop and protect" the "private crossing" on Green Street in Hopedale, or will they (in the interest of safety mind you!) make sure they sound the standard warning sequence with the horn? Or will they really teach the property owner a lesson by making them REMOVE the crossing?

I'd think this issue would come to the forefront fairly soon.
Hmmmm.. The Assessor's map shows a "right of way" from a parcel abutting Greene St. ("part of 13-44-0") to #44 Greene St. crossing the G&U. So I guess, if this is correct then it's just a matter of installing a grade crossing... Wait a minute.. NOTHING'S EVER THAT SIMPLE... The lawyers have to get involved somehow!
 #1053633  by KEN PATRICK

in scanning some of the lawyerly and committee comments relative to the pellet bagging, i am surprised that no one realizes the implications of the NET fiasco. pellet bagging is not 'transportation' . there is no federal exemption. local zoning and permitting applies. i don't know why the furor but it is what it is so local control is in play. i can't believe the economics work either. ken patrick
 #1053654  by Ridgefielder

Cosmo wrote:Doesn't matter.
NORAC rules do not require a whistle sounded at private crossings.
Really? Could swear I'd heard MNRR whistling for the private crossing just south of the station in West Redding, CT.
 #1053692  by Cosmo

Ridgefielder wrote:
Really? Could swear I'd heard MNRR whistling for the private crossing just south of the station in West Redding, CT.
FWIU, it's not required, but nor is it prohibited. There may be some particular circumstance with that particular crossing.
 #1053795  by MaineCoonCat

NORAC may not, but the FRA might have some input on the matter. [Note the word might.]
On the [b][color=#0000cc][url=http://www.fra.dot.gov/Pages/1773.shtml]FRA Train Horn Rule Fact Sheet page, The FRA[/url][/color][/b] wrote: Sounding the Locomotive Horn: Under the Train Horn Rule, locomotive engineers must sound train horns for a minimum of 15 seconds, and a maximum of 20 seconds, in advance of all public grade crossings, except:

If a train is traveling faster than 45mph, engineers will not sound the horn until it is within ¼ mile of the crossing, even if the advance warning is less than 15 seconds.
If a train stops in close proximity to a crossing, the horn does not have to be sounded when the train begins to move again.
There is a "good faith" exception for locations where engineers can’t precisely estimate their arrival at a crossing.

Wherever feasible, train horns must be sounded in a standardized pattern of 2 long, 1 short and 1 long. The horn must continue to sound until the lead locomotive or train car occupies the grade crossing.

For the first time, a maximum volume level for the train horn has been established at 110 decibels. The minimum sound level remains 96 decibels. Railroads have until 2010 to fully comply with the maximum volume level requirement.
This does use the word "public" and the driveway would obviously be "private" so it probably can argued that the rule therefore does not apply.. I wonder how the relevant liability insurer would look at it.

ADDENDUM
Okay, after some further looking, It would appear that the rule is indeed not applicable to private crossings:
In the [b][color=#0000cc][url=http://www.fra.dot.gov/downloads/Safety/train_horn_rule/FAQ4.pdf]FRA Train Horn Rule Frequently Asked Questions Dec 2003 Interim Final Rule, The FRA[/url][/color][/b] wrote: 4. Private Crossings
4.1 How are private crossings treated under the rule?

This regulation does not address the use of horns at private crossings except when those private crossings are within a quiet zone. (Section 222.3)
FRA will not at this time require that the locomotive horn be sounded at private highway-rail crossings. Whether horns must be sounded at such crossings will remain subject to state law (if any) and railroad operating rules. FRA, by not applying this rule to private crossings which are not in quiet zones, has left States free to require the sounding of locomotive horns if it is deemed necessary or appropriate.
At a minimum, private crossings within a quiet zone must be equipped with crossbucks and “STOP” signs conforming to the standards of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), together with advance warning signs.
Private grade crossings that allow access to the public, or that provide access to active industrial or commercial sites, may be included in a quiet zone only if a diagnostic team evaluates the crossing(s) to determine whether the institution of the quiet zone will significantly increase the risk of collision at the private crossing. The crossing must then be equipped or treated in accord with the recommendations of the diagnostic team. (Section 222.25)
So I guess I stand corrected [and "self corrected" as to the FRA's involvement]..
DISCLAIMER: I'm no lawyer nor do I play one on TV and NO, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...
Attachments:
THE “TRAIN HORN RULE”
Frequently Asked Questions

(491.73 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Train Horn Rule Fact Sheet.
(33.16 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
 #1055362  by MBTA1016

Since it's been about a week since the last post. Has the G&U made progress on the line past what they have done already?
 #1057813  by MaineCoonCat

On June 5th 2012, Sandra Hakala, Department Coordinator for the Town of Upton wrote: At 6:30 the Board of Selectmen invited the Railroad Fact Finding Committee to present their
report. Gary Bohan, Chair, Richard Desjardins, Vice Chair, and Bill Taylor, Citizen
Representative was present.

Chair Bohan called the meeting to order because they were posted and proceeded to give the
Selectman an overview of the project. He spoke of their mission statement and stated because
the committee was unable to come up with a consensus the two groups wrote a position paper.
Each group then gave an overview of their viewpoint. >> Read the full meeting minutes HERE <<
or the attached copy below.
This is Streeter Barncat reporting. Stay tuned for news (not quite) as it happens...Image
Attachments:
Selectmen's Meeting Minutes June 5, 2012.
(84.26 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
 #1057990  by daylight4449

Alright, I got a railfanning question; when is the latest the Grafton and Upton runs? I'm hoping I can go out and catch their operations within the next two weeks on Tuesday after 6:30. Anything I should know, aside from the obvious?
 #1058275  by G&U Future

The G&U normally runs M-F. The the crew is on duty at 0700 and usually is back by or before 1530. On a good day they will hit Waterville St between 0830 and 0900. Then pull into the Upton Yard anywhere between 1000 or 1100.

Hope this helps.

As for the track work I have not seen much going on. Last time I drove by the Yard in Upton I saw a few track machines on a siding. Looked like they were being worked on. Hopefully they start to Hopedale before the ground freezes. ;p

Oh and a side note the North Grafton yard has changed a lot since I was. Anyone know whats going on there?
 #1058589  by NNR

if you youtube G&U and filter the results by most recent uploads there is a video taken less than a month ago of them putting ties in in hopedale right before a busy street