• Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by MBTA1016

NNR wrote:if you youtube G&U and filter the results by most recent uploads there is a video taken less than a month ago of them putting ties in in hopedale right before a busy street
I only typed in G&U railroad and the tie replacement vid is the first one on the list. I used the YouTube app on my iPod touch.
  by Cosmo

Wow, ok... that should answer the question of how far they have gotten by now.
Just inside of Hopedale! :D
  by MaineCoonCat

This just in:
Michelle Sanford Staff Reporter/Columnist · The Milford, Mendon & Upton Town Crier on July 09, 2012 wrote: During a June 19 meeting, the Upton Board of Selectmen voted unanimously to accept the Railroad Fact Finding Committee's report and also bring forward five questions to Town Counsel; four questions from the report and one from the Planning Board concerning the Grafton Upton Railroad's activities.
Read the full story on the Milford, Mendon & Upton Town Crier web site.

Stay tuned!
  by MaineCoonCat

Jon Delli Priscoli is slated to attend the Grafton Selectmen's meeting tonight to discuss grade crossings.
View the agenda
  by MaineCoonCat

On Wednesday, Jul 11 in the Grafton Daily Voice, Jennifer Lord Paluzzi wrote: The Grafton & Upton Railroad is offering to bring automated lights and warning bells to three railroad crossings near Grafton Common, railroad owner Jon Delli Priscoli told the Board of Selectmen Tuesday night
Full Story
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

papabarn wrote:
On Wednesday, Jul 11 in the Grafton Daily Voice, Jennifer Lord Paluzzi wrote: The Grafton & Upton Railroad is offering to bring automated lights and warning bells to three railroad crossings near Grafton Common, railroad owner Jon Delli Priscoli told the Board of Selectmen Tuesday night
Full Story
That monster! The light and noise polution from the crossing equipment will SEVERELY impact some selectman's quality of life 2 miles away!!!!!6!!

You know it's coming...they're already concern-trolling these safety upgrades G&U is voluntarily offering on an Exempt line that does not require them to do so.
  by B&M 1227

"Dowling, however, was concerned that a person stopping for the stop signs might get rear-ended by the vehicle behind them."

Maybe Grafton should reevaluate all their stop signs to make sure theres no danger. Or maybe computerized pillow droppers to cushion impacts. One way or the other something needs to happen about those dangerous stop signs...

Might I suggest the town/people find a hobby other than evangelical nimbyism. You can't interrupt interstate commerce, but there are still a lot of clouds in the sky to yell at! Look there's one now!
  by Cosmo

"Evangelical nimbyism".... gotta remember THAT one! :razz:
  by MaineCoonCat

B&M1227 wrote: Maybe Grafton should reevaluate all their stop signs to make sure theres no danger. Or maybe computerized pillow droppers to cushion impacts. One way or the other something needs to happen about those dangerous stop signs...
My suggestion is a bylaw that 1). Requires each motor vehicle operating on the public ways within the town of Grafton carry a "FRED". and 2). Whenever a motor vehicle is stopped on a public way, a person carrying a red flag (or at night, an illuminated red lantern) shall be placed at sufficient distance to the rear of the vehicle to surely protect the vehicle. In addition a red fusee shall be placed upon the road at the location of the flagperson. This fusee shall not be passed until it has completely burned out. After all, we don't want any motor vehicle accidents in Grafton! Image
  by frrc

B&M 1227 wrote:"Dowling, however, was concerned that a person stopping for the stop signs might get rear-ended by the vehicle behind them."

Maybe Grafton should reevaluate all their stop signs to make sure theres no danger. Or maybe computerized pillow droppers to cushion impacts. One way or the other something needs to happen about those dangerous stop signs...

Might I suggest the town/people find a hobby other than evangelical nimbyism. You can't interrupt interstate commerce, but there are still a lot of clouds in the sky to yell at! Look there's one now!

If somebody rear ends another car it's called "following too close", and should be paying more attention to the driver in front of them. I own a 16' box truck with large stop lights and a 1/4" steel bumper, and got rear ended a while ago by a person who
claimed "they didn't see me" when I was stopped at a stop sign. They even had the nerve to attempt and sue, and they lost the law suit...as their car was totaled.

J
Last edited by frrc on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by MaineCoonCat

frrc wrote:I own a 16' box truck with large stop lights and a 1/4" steel bumper, and got rear ended a while ago by a person who
claimed "they didn't see me" when I was stopped at a stop sign. They even had the nerve to attempt and sue, and lost...as their car was totaled.
And this happened where? If Massachusetts, what excuse did you use for stopping? And the judge/jury actually bought it? After all, everybody knows those octagonal red signs are obsolete and strictly for entertainment purposes only!

Sorry.. I just had to...

Pulling over for an emergency vehicle approaching may easily yield the same result as at least three of the drivers behind you are oblivious to the siren, air horns (if so equipped) and flashing lights, but I digress. Awright! I'll get back on topic.
  by b&m 1566

I knew it was going to be a matter of time, before they wanted to install lights. Not only will it improve safety but it will also improve travel time between point A and B, which will make the railroad more efficient.
  by apple1

FYI - after a short break, looks like work has once again commenced at/beyond Freedom Street in Hopedale.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

apple1 wrote:FYI - after a short break, looks like work has once again commenced at/beyond Freedom Street in Hopedale.
2.5 miles to Milford. They got any shot of making it this year, or is it looking like 2013 before they get far enough to deal with driveway dude? They still have to raise the low bridge at Hopedale St. shortly past the yard.
  by MaineCoonCat

On July 18th 2012 in the Milford Daily News, Mike Gleason wrote:UPTON — The Planning Board last night looked at ways to definitively determine whether the town has any jurisdiction over the Grafton & Upton Railroad.

Board members are interested in determining whether all of the activities of the railroad are federally protected, and therefore exempt from local and state oversight.
Read more: http://www.milforddailynews.com/news/x1 ... z2159eZdKw