Railroad Forums 

• Saratoga & North Creek (S&NC) Discussion - 2012

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1026378  by The Man

The four cars from Florida are not from the Florida fun train. They where the Inland Lakes then Florida Rail Adventures cars, A CZ dome car, a UP late budd coach, a ATSF bad and a SAL dinner. Florida fun train was high level stuff I think and I belive it went to Alaska but I'm not sure. I know the Florida cars well, the dinner and bag are ex Acadian and the dome is from them as well but was never rebuilt and the coach showed in Florida in Amtrak paint. But they have picked up a lot of cars at Iowa Pacific and some are kept at SNC for later use on other lines I belive. I know of four other cars I was personally involved in the sale to IPH including my own private car witch my family and I no longer wanted since we are trying to devote more time to cars we want to use rather than a hanger queen. The other thing to remember is IPH is in the market for bigger and better things down the road. Ed Ellis has a vision that seems to be working for him and I have to give the man a lot of credit since he is trying things they said will not work. Someone asked about the work on the 808 and 807, they are being worked on now and 808 will be the first to SNC and the 807 will follow. A few road blocks and extra time have prevented the move but it should be soon now. And for what it's worth the sale of the E-8's has been a great thing for the CNY as they could no longer run them, FGLK feels they are to big and NYS&W will not run passenger trains anymore so the sale was one of the best options for the engines. The money from the sale is marked for another historic engine to be purchased and restored as well as the improvment to the CNY NRHS fleet. But when you think of some of the trips those E8's did, WOW! They went up the Montreal line out of Syracuse, Down to Scranton, up the MA&N to Lyons falls and from Syracuse to Utica under it's own power on the Chicago main, And to Geneva on FGLK. Not a bad run for a museum group. Now they are off for a new life doing the same thing.

JJ-
 #1033691  by Otto Vondrak

As reported on the SNC Yahoo Group, according to Jody, SNC Manager of Train Operations, North Creek Yard is full of equipment while they work on maintenance during the down time. "North Creek pretty much looks like an object lesson in how to stuff a yard full of coaches. By my count we have 20 coaches, two cabooses and four locomotives sitting in the station area in North Creek right now, with an additional privately-owned locomotive and two passenger cars stored a short distance away."

Regarding upcoming operations:

"Not much going in the way of specials for the next six weeks. There are some trips out of Hadley at the end of the month, and not much else planned outside of a trip to retrieve some cars in Saratoga at some point, and hosting an FRA geometry car. That won't happen until mid-month."

Regarding the 821:

"One sneak preview I will offer up. When you next see the SNC 821, it will be looking pretty special. I won't say much more, except that it won't be painted in the SNC's D&H inspired blue and grey, but will be in a new paint scheme for the SNC that makes sense for the unit and should be a crowd pleaser."

-otto-
 #1043060  by RussNelson

There's a Yes/No opinion piece in The Adirondack Explorer about the Tahawus Branch, plus a story about how the state supports continued use of the branch. The NIYBYs (Not In Your Back Yard) are saying that the easement through the Adirondack Wild Lands has expired, and they want the rails ripped up.
 #1047207  by KEN PATRICK

reading a letter to the stb makes me believe the management is stupid. why create a row enemy? especially over what, if true, are situations easily corrected. battery acid? containers of foul stuff. please. hire herzog to do a row clean-up before applying to the stb. is the railroad so undercapitalized that it can't afford a reaonbale clean-up? i suspect the management is clouded in thinking about trash on their row. ken patrick
 #1047350  by KEN PATRICK

the homeowner memo filed with the stb on 5/14 by john lacarrubba of north river cited the battery acid bottles and containers on the row in front of his house. apparently he has been in contact with national lead since 2000 to no avail. i'm surprised he has not filed a complaint with epa. his memo also points out other waste on the row. again i am amazed at the railroad's lack of responsibility. ken patrick
 #1047378  by joshuahouse

I'm not surprised, after all its been sitting there for at least 12 years through at least 2 different owners. We constantly berate people who whine about noise when they move next to a rail line, that line has been there for 70 years, did he think that railroads operated on magical pixie dust in the 40s? Sounds like he'd knowingly move into Love Canal after all the problems were known and then complain a decade later when his cat had 3 headed kittens.
 #1047414  by charlie6017

joshuahouse wrote:I'm not surprised, after all its been sitting there for at least 12 years through at least 2 different owners. We constantly berate people who whine about noise when they move next to a rail line, that line has been there for 70 years, did he think that railroads operated on magical pixie dust in the 40s? Sounds like he'd knowingly move into Love Canal after all the problems were known and then complain a decade later when his cat had 3 headed kittens.
LOL.........well put. Why move to a home that's next to railroad tracks if you don't like what is there?

Did he not research the property well enough? I'm guess there wasn't a gun to his head as he signed the
paperwork at closing time.

Unreal.........

Charlie