• Saratoga & North Creek (S&NC) Discussion - 2012

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by lvrr325

I was in on that E8 deal from almost the start, hence some of my previous posts hinting at a surprising purchase of more power for up there. Both need work to even leave the siding they're on - brakes are out of date and need inspection. And there's the matter of some missing rail on the siding. It might be a while before both are in regular service.

And for those dissapointed by the sale, the Chapter is working on a replacement with a more CNY pertinent pedigree.
  by tj48

I thought they were to get a second BL2 as well. Did this ever happen?
  by Otto Vondrak

tj48 wrote:I thought they were to get a second BL2 as well. Did this ever happen?
From what I understand, it's getting work done at a private shop as we speak.

-otto-
  by Otto Vondrak

lvrr325 wrote:I was in on that E8 deal from almost the start...
You get a gold star! :-)
hence some of my previous posts hinting at a surprising purchase of more power for up there.
...Which told us absolutely nothing of value.
And for those dissapointed by the sale, the Chapter is working on a replacement with a more CNY pertinent pedigree.
I'm not disappointed at all... The engines had a good career when owned by CNY NRHS, and now they are going to a good home where they will continue to do the work they were designed for. Very responsible move on the part of CNY NRHS, if you ask me.

-otto-
  by Mem160

Otto, get your facts straight about BL2's before you put it in PRINT! Your numbers are wrong about those engines. There are at least FOUR operating BL2's: SNC, as well as one in Elkins, W. Virnginia, One in Honesdale, PA, as well as one in Monon paint in the Kentucky Rail Museum.
  by ticker

I don!t have a link to post on this but I am going to post it anyway. The person who asked how the Snow train is doing?. I have some friends who are close to the people involved in this (Snow Train). They tell me it is going so so . They are waiting for a decent snowfall before they think it will take off . The numbers on the ski train are not what they hoped for . However they expect a surge as soon as we get a snowfall of any substance. Gore Mountain has not opened the majority of there trails.
  by joshuahouse

Wow, I'd not really though much about how poor the snow has been this year but according to Gore Mountain's website their base is only 12-27 inches. http://www.goremountain.com/mountain/al ... itions.cfm

Does anyone know of a way to compare year to year base? I can't see one on their site.
  by Otto Vondrak

Mem160 wrote:Otto, get your facts straight about BL2's before you put it in PRINT! Your numbers are wrong about those engines. There are at least FOUR operating BL2's: SNC, as well as one in Elkins, W. Virnginia, One in Honesdale, PA, as well as one in Monon paint in the Kentucky Rail Museum.

The ones at Honesdale, Elkins, and KRM were the only ones I could find when I was doing a search... What did I say in print?

-otto-
  by Jeff Smith

Site Admin Note:

All,

It's come to my attention that there has been a bit of a "brou-ha-ha" on here. This is not the place to settle personal scores, and let's not try to overreact to each other. It's often difficult to divine intent on a message board.

It's the internet folks. Take what you read with a grain of salt and don't make it personal.

That said, if you have issues with the moderation or operation of the site, please email me at [email protected]. I'd be happy to discuss them. I'd suggest first taking a deep breath and instead of blasting someone on line, take it "off-line" (PM or Email) and see if you can resolve it in a friendly manner with the other person.

Otto was the previous owner of railroad.net. I work for the new owner (I am not the owner). When he sold it, Otto had built a forum where over 5,000 members could discuss trains and railroads from all over the world. FOR FREE. Moderators have a difficult job. I've not always handled every situation correctly (and I'm not saying that's the case here). Let's cut them a bit of slack, whether or not they're previous owners.

Jeff Smith
Site Admin
  by Otto Vondrak

Train didn't run on Friday. Friends went up to shoot it and found a note taped to the door explaining the cancellation. Troubles with the BL-2?

-otto-
  by Noel Weaver

Friday was a bad day weather wise. A number of large ski areas were not operating Friday (January 27th) because of ice conditions, lightning and other dangerous conditions. Being on a ski lift is no place to be in a thunderstorm and yes they can occur even in the winter.
Killington in Vermnt has been open every day since they first opened in very early November, I don't have the date, but they did not open Friday, January 27th.
Noel Weaver
  by Noel Weaver

There is an interesting article in the Times Union for Sunday, January 29th, here is a link, please note that this article also involves the Adirondack Scenic so I am going to post the link there too, hope you find it interesting:

http://www.timesunion.com/business/arti ... 781474.php

Noel Weaver

FAIR USE QUOTE: "The future may be at a crossroads for two historic Adirondack rail lines — one that carried Gilded Age millionaires to luxurious Great Camps, and another that let mines ship minerals to help win World War II. Both lines face similar questions: Is rail poised to make a comeback if gasoline prices skyrocket? Or should rails come out one day to make way for unique recreational trails through the wilderness for bikers and snowmobilers?"

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/business/arti ... z1l3axNNc3