Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1249782  by DutchRailnut

last G string unit is being prepped for shipment in Harmon to GE, its time for 220 to get neutered.
 #1249822  by FL9AC

How's that sad? Unless you are an engineer operating them, the general public just sees a nice shiny new-looking engine so I'd say that's better for the public image...
 #1249840  by NH2060

FL9AC wrote:How's that sad? Unless you are an engineer operating them, the general public just sees a nice shiny new-looking engine so I'd say that's better for the public image...
Besides the newer livery is far superior in appearance to the G string livery. Would've looked great on the FL-9s and F-10s too had they stuck around long enough ;-)
 #1250167  by djmarco121

FL9AC wrote:How's that sad? Unless you are an engineer operating them, the general public just sees a nice shiny new-looking engine so I'd say that's better for the public image...
It was the last G string unit still in service and the un rebuilt units load out faster
 #1259324  by DutchRailnut

surprised legal Dept. released that unit so fast.
 #1259336  by twropr

Is there a difference in the characteristics of the rebuild that Metro-North's P32AC-DM's received vs the rebuild that Amtrak's received at Beech Grove?

Andy
 #1259344  by DutchRailnut

not sure on Metro North units, GE replaces all rotary equipment, plus overhaul the engine, and put it back with smaller turbo.
and bad metal is replaced, cab refurbished, then unit goes to Altoona for Imron painting, back to Erie for testing
 #1259352  by RearOfSignal

deadbug wrote:225 is north of the shop, prepped and ready to be sent to Erie for repairs.
If it's north of the engine shops, it's not going anywhere. If something is going out of Harmon yard it almost always gets set out on spot tracks for inspection first. Unless it's a light engine. Highly doubtful 225 will be going anywhere, especially under it's own power. In fact P32AC-DM's cannot be operated single light on MNR property.
 #1259418  by DutchRailnut

If it goes out to Erie, it will be moved dead by CSX after HTS crew brings it to Croton east yard.
 #1259531  by RearOfSignal

225 is now being prepared for tow to Erie. Rest of the equipment from 12/1 incident is still being held for investigation.
 #1259533  by DutchRailnut

RearOfSignal wrote:225 is now being prepared for tow to Erie. Rest of the equipment from 12/1 incident is still being held for investigation.
have you checked the post, 6 spaces up from yours ??
 #1259557  by RearOfSignal

DutchRailnut wrote:
RearOfSignal wrote:225 is now being prepared for tow to Erie. Rest of the equipment from 12/1 incident is still being held for investigation.
have you checked the post, 6 spaces up from yours ??
No, I checked the MoE webpage, still pending prep work as of few hours ago. Ya know sources other than media or railbuffs.