Railroad Forums 

• New SEPTA Loco

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1464770  by sammy2009

They are really pushing these babies out Quickly. I like that. They was ahead schedule with the first car....so there will be five units in SEPTA LAND once they get here. Siemens might have to make the next push-pull coaches, and LRV's at this rate lol. I can see SEPTA being happy about this and keeping them in the wings for some other rail products.
 #1464945  by silverliner266

What it suggests to me is that they plan on exercising the option on the Multilevel contract. 55 new cars is approximately 8 new train sets. With 7 sets existing 15 locomotives would make sense.

Edit: My math was a little off, they currently have 8 sets so even without exercising the option 45 cars creates 7 new sets so the total is still 15.
Last edited by silverliner266 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1464946  by mcgrath618

silverliner266 wrote:What it suggests to me is that they plan on exercising the option on the Multilevel contract. 55 new cars is approximately 8 new train sets. With 7 sets existing 15 locomotives would make sense.
Do you think they will mix sets? Like have Comets with bilevels?
 #1464949  by silverliner266

mcgrath618 wrote:
silverliner266 wrote:What it suggests to me is that they plan on exercising the option on the Multilevel contract. 55 new cars is approximately 8 new train sets. With 7 sets existing 15 locomotives would make sense.
Do you think they will mix sets? Like have Comets with bilevels?
I kind of doubt it simply because it creates more opportunities for something to go wrong and doesn't really have any operational advantages.
 #1464983  by Backshophoss

The CRRC MLV "Clones"will be different "enough" as to not work with the Comet cars.
Only MBTA uses mixed consists of Bi-levels and Comets with not so great results,overcrowded to the point of SRO/no ticket collection possible.
NJT does not run mixed sets in service,only on deadhead shop moves to/from MMC.
 #1465019  by andrewjw

mtuandrew wrote:UTA Frontrunner and MARC have/had mixed sets in service, but I doubt SEPTA will.
MBTA Commuter Rail also runs mixed sets. The NJT MLV cars are finnicky about trainlining in general, from what I've read.
 #1465025  by sammy2009

SEPTA ain’t running no mix consist lol. Maybe in yard moves , if the Silverliner VI and V’s not mixed the. The coaches and mlbs won’t be. That looks tacky anyway lol. But I’ve been meaning to ask and express if SEPTA would exercise their options on both contracts. I think it make sense , particularly for the price and ridership levels. And the price tag wasn’t too hefty.
 #1465061  by andrewjw

sammy2009 wrote:SEPTA ain’t running no mix consist lol. Maybe in yard moves , if the Silverliner VI and V’s not mixed the. The coaches and mlbs won’t be.
Please don't make claims like this without bringing any new evidence to the thread. I see no reason that lack of EMU mixing would mean there can be no coach mixing. After all, they mix the SEPTA I and SEPTA II cars.
 #1465064  by mcgrath618

In his defense, they're both Bomby Comets. They're nearly identical, save the center door.
 #1465140  by sammy2009

andrewjw wrote:
sammy2009 wrote:SEPTA ain’t running no mix consist lol. Maybe in yard moves , if the Silverliner VI and V’s not mixed the. The coaches and mlbs won’t be.
Please don't make claims like this without bringing any new evidence to the thread. I see no reason that lack of EMU mixing would mean there can be no coach mixing. After all, they mix the SEPTA I and SEPTA II cars.

I'm not making claims ,i'm stating my opinion. What are the SEPTA I and II cars ? Their may technical and mechanical differences that could possibly forbid for regular service....KEYWORD "POSSIBLY".
 #1465154  by glennk419

By SEPTA 1 and 2 cars, I believe he's referring to the two generations of the Bombardier push-pull coaches. The original 35 cars went into service in 1987 with the additional 10 cars ( tacked on to a Metro North order hence the center doors ) joining the fleet in 1999. Other than the center doors, they are virtually identical mechanically and fully compatible.

As for the SL IV's and V's, while they both have the same spear couplers and similar MU connector blocks, the door circuits are incompatible and I'm not sure they can even trainline for propulsion which is why they will never operate in mixed configurations in revenue service.