Railroad Forums 

• Illinois Amtrak Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1327928  by jstolberg

Even without 110 mph, Lincoln Service is becoming competitive with driving. I was driving over 70 mph north of Lincoln on I-55 last month when I got passed by 304. I didn't stop going around Bloomington; the train did, and then passed me again before Pontiac. It must have been a nice, short station dwell time with good acceleration coming out of the station. I paced her for less than a mile, and she was doing 78-79 mph.
 #1328197  by GWoodle

HammerJack wrote:As of right now, what are the sections on the CHI-STL line that currently are operated with 110 MPH revenue service? Is it still only the 15 mile section between Dwight and Pontiac? Although that is a starting point, it isn't terribly impressive, given the fact that it can take a heavy train 10ish miles to accelerate to 110. What other sections are close to being ready for revenue 110 service?

http://www.springfieldrailroad.com/newsite/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Springfield project continues this year with something building till 2020 if funds are found. I thought there is some Dwight-Joliet track still to be upgraded. South of Dwight into Bloomington & Lincoln there should be some higher speed rail. picking up again from Springfield into Alton. Maybe getting most of the track on the line up to 79 is already an improvement?
 #1328202  by Matt Johnson

Don't know if they're still on target for the end of 2015, but the track seemed ready to me. The crossings also seemed to be all upgraded to 4 quadrant gates. So, I guess it's all about the signalling.

http://www.idothsr.org/2010_const/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the upcoming year, the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) will continue to work to have infrastructure improvements in place to support speeds of up to 110 mph on nearly 75% of the Chicago-St. Louis corridor by the end of 2015.

Also, this map would seem to indicate that the entire stretch from Alton on up to Dwight has new track by now, which jives with my observation. Even the approach into St Louis seemed to be new rail on concrete ties.

http://www.idothsr.org/pdf/study_area_map.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1328272  by gokeefe

So the Illinois track upgrades have in fact been moving forward at a strong pace but IDOT has kept quiet about it (perhaps due to the political season). I remain fundamentally convinced that the consistent operations of 110 MPH passenger service in mixed traffic outside the NEC and on a Class I owned corridor is a game changing event for passenger rail in the United States.
 #1328277  by Rockingham Racer

As per a recent Bulletin issued by the UPRR, there are exactly 15.2 miles of 110 MPH running with a 1.3 mile stretch of 100 MPH running south of Joliet.

This project has been going on for YEARS. It's certainly not my idea of moving things along at a good clip.
 #1328278  by gokeefe

Rockingham Racer wrote:As per a recent Bulletin issued by the UPRR, there are exactly 15.2 miles of 110 MPH running with a 1.3 mile stretch of 100 MPH running south of Joliet.

This is project has been going on for YEARS. It's certainly not my idea of moving things along at a good clip.
All very true but they could just as easily issue a bulletin order next week and bring 70 miles of track into 100 MPH service. Based on reporting in this very thread it would appear that such could be imminent. At the very least it does seem to support IDOT's position that this project will be completed before the end of 2015.
 #1335428  by Gilbert B Norman

Illinois is currently facing its perpetual "budget crisis". This time, the newly elected Republican Governor, who campaigned on a "shake up Springfield" line, is now threatening to impose budget cuts by Executive Order. Previously these cuts were for things like ground the State's fleet of airplanes, freeze purchase of police squad cars, and other visible "trivia". However, this morning during the 6AM hour, WBBM 780/105.9 reports that "Amtrak funding cuts" are on the table.

Who knows what effect, if any, this pronouncement will have on existing routes and frequencies, although any of the proposed routes such as to Quad Cities, Rockford, Dubuque, and Peoria are surely off the table.

Tune in again for the next episode of the annual Illinois Soap Opera.
 #1335644  by west point

One item do not understand. The east side bypass of downtown Springfield is slowly being constructed for improving timing. That will require a new station. However it seems that most of the traffic will be SPG - CHI. Why not use the old station and terminate some southbound trains there ? Might even be one or two slower thru trains.
 #1336050  by Gilbert B Norman

The budget Soap Opera continues - of course what else is new around these parts?

Tonight Local NBC News has reported that Illinois Amtrak budget was set to be cut 40% as of July 1 - the latest doomsday for a government shutdown.

However, the report stated Amtrak has not been notified which trains are to be cut. The time requirements for Notice of Abolishment for jobs has passed; nevermind the 180 Day Notice under ARAA 97.

Cue to the organ.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1336060  by GWoodle

west point wrote:One item do not understand. The east side bypass of downtown Springfield is slowly being constructed for improving timing. That will require a new station. However it seems that most of the traffic will be SPG - CHI. Why not use the old station and terminate some southbound trains there ? Might even be one or two slower thru trains.

You make a good case for a "state house" train to take state officials to Chicago for a day of business & return home. You could run another from Chicago to Springfield to do legislative business & get home for dinner. Should save the state many ways if they can give up flying & running on I-55.
 #1336082  by ryanch

GWoodle wrote:
west point wrote:One item do not understand. The east side bypass of downtown Springfield is slowly being constructed for improving timing. That will require a new station. However it seems that most of the traffic will be SPG - CHI. Why not use the old station and terminate some southbound trains there ? Might even be one or two slower thru trains.

You make a good case for a "state house" train to take state officials to Chicago for a day of business & return home. You could run another from Chicago to Springfield to do legislative business & get home for dinner. Should save the state many ways if they can give up flying & running on I-55.
They're not building the bypass to improve timing. The bypass is because there is no realistic way to elevate the existing track nor to put several important streets over or under it. Some capitalians were trying to block the expansion of service over concern that it would mean more time waiting for trains to pass. Though from my memory growing up there, Amtrak trains cause very little traffic delay - it's freights that are the problem.

I'm not really sure of your point, GWoodle. There are a bunch of Chicago-Spfld. trains already, with a couple more frequencies planned. Are you saying that won't be sufficient? Or that the schedule needs tweaking?
 #1336103  by Gilbert B Norman

Rockingham Racer wrote:As per a recent Bulletin issued by the UPRR, there are exactly 15.2 miles of 110 MPH running with a 1.3 mile stretch of 100 MPH running south of Joliet.

This project has been going on for YEARS. It's certainly not my idea of moving things along at a good clip.
As Mr. Rockingham notes, I too have to wonder about this "Illinois HSR" project. For at least the past five years, passengers have been inconvenienced with "busteetoots", detours over the C&EI (lest we forget, not everyone is a fan), and general confusion. Even with only 15 miles allowed 110, Mr. Lustig's reports reveal timekeeping remains problematic.

Awful lot here plays of "boondoggle".

With the Joliet Intermodal Terminal, UP obviously considers the Alton an integral part of their system (C&EI is shared with CSX roundly Danville-Chicago). If there ever was really intent to have a "fairly high speed" route that was to be shared with freight traffic, then what was in place on the Alton (GM&O) until about 1960 - namely double track - should have been restored. Otherwise this whole project is just going to be a smoke and mirrors charade, or at best, publicly funded improvements benefitting UP and their shippers.

disclaimer: author holds long position UNP
 #1336217  by GWoodle

ryanch wrote:
GWoodle wrote:

They're not building the bypass to improve timing. The bypass is because there is no realistic way to elevate the existing track nor to put several important streets over or under it. Some capitalians were trying to block the expansion of service over concern that it would mean more time waiting for trains to pass. Though from my memory growing up there, Amtrak trains cause very little traffic delay - it's freights that are the problem.

I'm not really sure of your point, GWoodle. There are a bunch of Chicago-Spfld. trains already, with a couple more frequencies planned. Are you saying that won't be sufficient? Or that the schedule needs tweaking?
I'm thinking for the 183 miles Chicago-Springfield & 3 hours cut down to 2ish with higher speeds to serve a different market for different folks. Any little incentive to get better ridership on the train. IIRC Amtrak once ran a train Chicago-Springfield only with no connection to St Louis. You may be correct in adding some service to fill in some time slots.
 #1340678  by Boyishcolt23

The so called combining Amtrak with Union Pacific on the Norfolk & Southern Line on the 10th street corridor is being pushed by both the City and County Governments .
Somehow in all their wisdom they think this is a good idea to move the train station to the East side right across from the jail and social service row .
The present station is walking distance to State offices and residential, the east side is anything but that . This will be a huge mistake for Springfield if this really goes thru. Presently one rail underpass on the 10th street line is under construction and the city is actively trying to combine 2 more underpass' as one project .
The City unsuccessfully tried to remove money from the Union Pacific /Amtrak line and move it to the 10th street line .

Work started on 3rd street this week .
http://www.sj-r.com/article/20150723/NE ... /1994/NEWS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the Railroad switch was re installed further east under the Dirksen Parkway bridge where N & S and CN tracks cross .N& S could bypass the City now VIA 19th Street .
All Trains can by-pass and use 19th Street except N.& S .

10th street could be pulled up with just stub coming in for Norfolk to use their yard . ( Norfolk wants a new yard outside of the city if they agree to UP combination ) Amtrak could stay on 3rd street . where it belongs.
When the switch was still in at Dirksen many years ago I did see Norfolk by-pass when they were repairing 10th street .
 #1340761  by west point

Putting all these ideas together.
1. move all freight trains to 12th or 19th street.
2. Transfer existing route to either Illinois DOT or Amtrak.
3. Improve existing route by upgrading track by temp using freight track and station.
4. Last time thru Springfield it appeared that it once had two tracks. Could two tracks with their closer clearances be re installed ?
5. Run some Springfield originators to CHI / STL especially early in morning.
6. Rebuild station