• Illinois Amtrak Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Boyishcolt23

The most expensive option is from the 1970's to complete the re routing of Freight traffic to the east side of I-55. Yes this is extremely expensive but right now maybe the last realistic chance to get started on it because of IDOT is starting the engineering of finally widening I-55 to six lanes around Springfield .

these are Generational decisions that are being made that IMO shortsighted . 10th street has no more rail business so it just a run threw Springfield onto Decatur .years ago Norfolk would use 19th street on rare occasion because of work being done on its line and use the old IC now CN line and switch back over to it own line under what is now the Dirksen parkway overpass. Tracks still cross there but the switch was removed years ago.

UP on occasion has a coal drag that goes down to Kincaid power station come down 3rd street or 19th street.

So if the railroads all agreed as a Freight could all be re routed on the 19th street line. and eliminate 10th street and its many rail crossings
Amtrak should stay on 3rd street because it at the center of town .3rd street was double tracked up until the late 1980's tripled tracked and more in places when it was the GM&O .
10th and 19th street were all double tracked up to at least the mid 1980's . i would have to check dates on old photographs to be sure on the dates

This combination of all lines on the 10th street is a boondoggle. First it was claimed Memorial Hospital was holding up expansion because of Vibration from trains that fizzled out when they figured out St John Hospital is as close to the 10th street tracks, Also if its that a big problem why don't you expand away from track not towards the tracks.

With Union Pacific expansion of the land port in Joliet yes we are going to get more train traffic, Norfolk forecast the same thing . so in 10 years could we have 200 freight trains or more going threw Springfield ? that very possible all that and Amtrak on the 10th street line ? that would be the end of the east side of Springfield as that would cut it off even further also the noise of that not to mention the pollution. That's why IMO the East of I-55 rail relocation should be included in the expansion plans of I-55 .

Looking even further down the Road what if Norfolk was to merge with any of the 2 western railroads ? this could very easily because a Chicago bypass to the East Coast
  by Woody

GWoodle wrote:
west point wrote: ... it seems that most of the traffic will be SPG - CHI. ...
You make a good case for a "state house" train to take state officials to Chicago for a day of business & return home. You could run another from Chicago to Springfield to do legislative business & get home for dinner.

Should save the state many ways if they can give up flying & running on I-55.
My understanding is that no one flies Springfield-Chicago since the Lincoln service was doubled. Including the Texas Eagle, there's five trains a day. A few puddle jumpers are still flying Springfield-O'Hare. If you aren't connecting to a longer flight, the train gets all your business.

I'm sure most of the train traffic is to Chicago. But both ends get plenty of ridership. (I don't think that kind of breakdown of the info is published.) And I doubt anybody wants to add the complication of having one or two short runs turning in Springfield. Once the train has come as far as Springfield, it will want to go the short distance to St Louis and be done with it.
  by Boyishcolt23

True ..... United is the only one flying to ORD and service is unreliable and expensive lot of people still drive to St. Louis or Bloomington
American flies to Dallas
The State was flying there own aircraft till recently so i assume most of the lawmakers ( if you call them that) are driving .

Even with all the bustitudess and the Texas Eagle now back to hours late the trains always seems busy when I used it. I think before anything else is added such as the return of Blackhawk all the existing lines should be in top condition of course that makes too much sense. It still takes over 2 hours to get to STL from Springfield which is an easy drive at a little over a hour and 15 minutes
  by dowlingm

Does anyone know what the detour route for Texas Eagle is in this situation?
  by CHTT1

dowlingm wrote:Does anyone know what the detour route for Texas Eagle is in this situation?

The detour always runs over UP's former Chicago and Eastern Illinois route.
  by dowlingm

CHTT1 wrote:The detour always runs over UP's former Chicago and Eastern Illinois route.
thanks!
  by Woody

The Railway Gazette offers news in a fine example of good old-fashioned journalism:

http://www.railwayga...is-upgrade.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For those who refuse to click thru, the Railway Gazette has taken the 15-day service interruption, which the Brits seem to call a "blockade", as the news peg to give an update on the [280-mile] St Louis-Chicago route upgrade. (It notes several previous 8-day blockades since the beginning of 2012, while warning of a few more to come next year and even the next.)

The article says about [60 miles] in various spots are being double-tracked. "Around a third of the route is being fenced, and 234 of the 256 level crossings are being upgraded. In total, $757m is being spent on track and structures and $218m on level crossing works …"

Much of the track has been relaid, and "Union Pacific has been deploying its TRT909 automated track renewal train and has already laid more than [190 miles] of concrete sleepers, according to Patrick Halsted, General Director, Design & Construction."

"Work has recently started on installing an optic fibre communications backbone to support the interoperable I-ETMS version of Positive Train Control. The line is also being equipped with elements of GE Transportation's Incremental Train Control System to manage level crossing operation at higher speeds."

The Railway Gazette article says that the Stimulus-funded work must be completed by June 30, 2017. About 75% of the route will be able to handle 110-mph trains. After this phase of the project is finished and the new bi-level cars and Charger locomotives arrive, it says the trip time will be reduced by "around an hour" from 5:20 now.

That time savings is more than I recall seeing. I was thinking 40 minutes in Illinois (and 50 minutes in Michigan). Hope the article is right on that point.

It's probably wrong to report that the bi-levels will arrive starting next year. We'll be lucky if they all arrive on June 29, 2017. The Railway Gazette goes on to say that an option for another 20 Chargers was recently exercised (guess I missed that news), which it says will allow all of Amtrak's Midwest fleet of locos to be replaced.

And not least, this news: "The upgrade will also provide capacity to operate a fifth Lincoln Service train each way per day."

Four frequencies on the Lincoln Service got 630,000 passengers. The bi-levels can carry 30% more riders than the Horizons about an hour faster, so that gets me to 820,000. Add a fifth frequency to carry 200,000 more.

Coming soon: Over a million riders on this corridor, plus some more St Louis-Chicago riders on Amtrak's Texas Eagle LD train. This will be big.
  by Balerion

Ninth Street rail underpass reopens; Amtrak service not yet back to normal -- State Register-Journal
A section of Ninth Street in Springfield reopened Monday after a month-long shutdown that included a major rail-bridge upgrade and removal of a center pier long considered a traffic hazard on the busy corridor.

Amtrak service interrupted by the construction is not quite back to normal as a result of other bridge upgrades on the Union Pacific line between St. Louis and Chicago.
An advisory posted Monday by Amtrak and IDOT indicated service interruptions would continue through Nov. 10, while bridge repairs continue. Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari said the interruption should be the last of the construction season. Schedule changes announced Monday include:

* Lincoln Service trains 300, 301, 305 and 306 canceled.

* Lincoln Service trains 302, 303, 304 and 307 on a normal schedule between St. Louis and Bloomington. Buses will operate between Bloomington and Chicago.
  by jstolberg

A late resolution to Illinois support of Amtrak service.
http://www.sj-r.com/article/20160205/NEWS/160209696" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Amtrak service in Illinois -- including Lincoln Service trains through Springfield -- will remain at existing levels through an agreement announced Friday by the Illinois Department of Transportation.

The agreement extends the current schedule through June 30, the end of the state fiscal year.
  by Woody

Then try to hold out for one more year; in about 18 months, the upgrades to the line St Louis-CHI should start to kick in. I'll be surprised if there's still a subsidy required after the 110-mph speeds cut about an hour from the run's end-point times, and another frequency or two make more convenient schedules.

What the linked article does not report, is if Gov Ruiner will allow construction projects to proceed on the other corridor routes.
  by gokeefe

I saw this as well and thought it was an interesting outcome. Amtrak seemed to make some concessions from the normal PRIIA formula and I think rightly so given the capital expenditures by IDOT in support of the service over the years prior to the implementation of PRIIA.
  by Balerion

Morning Spin: Rauner is lobbied on Chicago-to-Quad Cities Amtrak service
Democratic U.S. Rep. Cheri Bustos is asking Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner to release previously approved state funding for a Chicago-to-Quad Cities Amtrak line.

In a letter to the governor, the Democratic congresswoman from the Quad Cities area said she has met with business leaders, elected officials and families across central and western Illinois.

The governor’s office said the project remains “under review” after an executive order Rauner signed last year froze grants and public works projects as part of a comprehensive look at state spending.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Volks, it's an election year for all 435 of those critters.
  by MisterUptempo

An article from the Quad Cities Times website, dated June 22, 2016, reports efforts to re-establish passenger rail between Chicago and Moline will proceed, providing that the FRA grants IDOT an extension for federal funding.

Invoking Fair Use-

Illinois commits to Chicago-to-Q-C rail project
Ed Tibbetts [email protected]
Updated Jun 22, 2016

The state of Illinois has told the Federal Railroad Administration that it is moving forward with the Chicago to Quad-Cities passenger rail project, an official said Tuesday.

The decision may well keep in place $177 million in federal funding that was awarded in 2010 for the connection, but that will be up to the Federal Railroad Administration, which had said the grant would expire June 30.

Local officials have been lobbying Gov. Bruce Rauner to ask for an extension.

“The Illinois Department of Transportation has informed the Federal Railroad Administration that it will be proceeding with the proposal to reintroduce passenger rail service between Chicago and Moline," Guy Tridgell, a spokesman for the Illinois DOT wrote in an email Tuesday morning. "As we move forward, we remain strongly committed to looking out for the best interest of all Illinois taxpayers."
Link here