• Home for URHS museum at old CNJ terminal?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by C. Crane

I just wonder what kind of grants need to be found to get the ball rolling?
Our State Legislature had the golden moment in Phillipsburg and could not bring themselves to commit financially to the concept of a State Transportation Museum. Unlike neighboring states, I don't think we'll ever see that kind of mindset from Trenton.

As for LSP, from a marketing perspective it is the ideal location. Yes, I am speculating, as we all are, but in terms of success of the venture, I can't think of a better spot.

by Steamtown Observer

I think many people posting here have hit it on the head - the state is very unlikely to providing funding for a NJ Transportation Museum. Never say never, but you get the idea. However, I could see the state giving money if a credible museum is established.

In the meantime if there are serious (i.e. not just posting on this website) people who want to consider the CNJ Terminal as a museum site I would make the following suggestions:

1. You need to keep in the loop of the planning at Liberty State Park. They have a friends organization - what is their relationship with the state Forestry & Park people and for that matter with the politicians in Trenton? If there is some kind of steering committee or planning group can URHS or someone else be appointed to it - the idea being to give historical input on preserving the terminal.

2. A careful watch needs to be ongoing to see what uses the Park plans for the trainshed. As pointed out before the shed is in rough condition and will take a lot of money to repair/restore. However because of the asbestos issue the state may be forced to do something quickly if roof sections start falling in order the asbestos otherwise can become airborne. There may be a great temptation to "document" the structure and then simply remove it. If there is no historical outcry from people with an historical background (hence point #1) they might get away with it.

3. It sounds like the Friends group will play the environmental card to prevent rail use of the terminal. In order to beat this back I think an environmentally friendly rail use should be proposed. Right now auto access or shuttle bus are the only way to get to the terminal. It would be nice to have an environmentally friendly way to get from the LSP light rail station to the terminal. How about extending the one restored track that is at the north side of the terminal back out along the access road and then route it to a point near the LSP station? One of the original CNJ RDC's (556) could be restored and replace the shuttle buses to the Terminal, providing an all rail, environmentally friendly access to that part of the park? One or two "stations" could be added to pick up people from the remote parking lots. In the beginning this track could remain isolated from the national rail system but at a later date a connection could be built. This would allow an authentic operation of CNJ passenger equipment into the terminal, serve a useful purpose and act as a beachhead to brining more historic equipment into the Terminal eventually.

by Jersey Jeff

Don31 wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:I think a great place would be the roundhouse in Cranford!!!!!

Too bad its in use by the public work department of Cranford, but that would be perfect!!
I agree JT, I think Cranford would be an excellent choice! :wink:
You can walk to the museum!!! Seriously, the site has easy access to the GSP, but parking may be a problem in that area, right?

by Jtgshu

yes and no - there are other buildings that have been built onto the round house that would need to be demolished, but depending on how large the property is, im sure there would be some parking - they store some trucks and old vehicles there outside the building.

Not to mention, Cranford Yard is still there although the tracks are long abandoned, most are still there, though no longer connected to live rail.

by Otto Vondrak

I think the CNJ Terminal would make an excellent museum site, and using a CNJ Budd car as a shuttle is another excellent idea. Of course, it doesn't matter what I think!

-otto-

by cjvrr

Group,

I sent the LS Park Superintendent an email yesterday to see what his thoughts are on the idea. If I get a response I will post it here.

Steamtown Obs., very valid point about getting involved with the FOLSP.

Right now I want to see the viability of the idea with the people involved in the park's management. Costs associated with the idea come later.

My personal opinion is this would not be a Transportation Heritage Center which would include busses, trucks, air, boat travel etc. That may not be a popular approach but lets just concentrate on the RR artifacts first.

Can anyone state exactly how many items are currently in the collection? This is needed to determine the amount of storage and display area required. Is the shed large enough for the collection? Would there be room left over for the farmers market and event area as contemplated by the FOLSP group?

Chris

by NJT4272

cjvrr,

There are 21 locomotives and 38 pieces of rolling stock currently in the collection. That's all inclusive: Everything in Boonton, Ridgefield Park, Holland NJ, Tuckahoe NJ, Ringoes NJ, Lebanon NJ, and Passaic NJ. Also a few pieces at NWS Earle in Monmouth County.

by Don31

CNJGeep wrote:Now now-what would the foaming masses say if they saw a U-Boat in Cranford? Or A GG1? :-D
GG1's have been in Cranford before, I posted pics here a while ago......

by Don31

Jersey Jeff wrote:
Don31 wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:I think a great place would be the roundhouse in Cranford!!!!!

Too bad its in use by the public work department of Cranford, but that would be perfect!!
I agree JT, I think Cranford would be an excellent choice! :wink:
You can walk to the museum!!! Seriously, the site has easy access to the GSP, but parking may be a problem in that area, right?
True, parking would be tight, that's the major drawback.....

by Don31

Jtgshu wrote:yes and no - there are other buildings that have been built onto the round house that would need to be demolished, but depending on how large the property is, im sure there would be some parking - they store some trucks and old vehicles there outside the building.

Not to mention, Cranford Yard is still there although the tracks are long abandoned, most are still there, though no longer connected to live rail.
IIRC, there is a development proposal before the Township for the former yard, I need to check on that. If not, that would be perfect for parking, with a pedestrian bridge over the RVL to the roundhouse area.....

by E-44

Is it that complex of buildings I see backing up to Aldene Rd. and bounded by Cox St on the other side? I don't see a "round" house but something that looks like it could have been shops and, as described above, has had other structures attached to it.

What road did this belong to? LV?

by Don31

E-44 wrote:Is it that complex of buildings I see backing up to Aldene Rd. and bounded by Cox St on the other side? I don't see a "round" house but something that looks like it could have been shops and, as described above, has had other structures attached to it.

No its not. There are several different operations located in that complex. The old CNJ roundhouse is in Cranford on North Avenue at the foot of Elizabeth Avenue, adjacent to the WB RVL (former CNJ Main).

by E-44

Don31 wrote:
E-44 wrote:Is it that complex of buildings I see backing up to Aldene Rd. and bounded by Cox St on the other side? I don't see a "round" house but something that looks like it could have been shops and, as described above, has had other structures attached to it.

No its not. There are several different operations located in that complex. The old CNJ roundhouse is in Cranford on North Avenue at the foot of Elizabeth Avenue, adjacent to the WB RVL (former CNJ Main).
Ah, I see it now. Thanks, Don.

by Don31

E-44 wrote:
Don31 wrote:

Ah, I see it now. Thanks, Don.
Okie dokie E-44 :-)
  by cjvrr

Hi Christopher;

Recently we have been speaking with Bill McKevly and the NJ Transportation Museum. We are in the very preliminary stages of seeing if anything is possible. There is talk of seeing if its possible to have a track ran into the park and to the trainsheds, but the trainsheds could not be used until they were refurbished, which is estimated at over $60 million. There is no funding for this project at the current time.

If and when this happens, the train equipment we would be looking at would need to have a direct correlation with the operation that took place years ago in this location. We are especially interested in CNJ equipment.

If you would like to talk to me please give me a call,

Thanks

Josh Osowski

201-915-3404

----
Mr. McKelvy has been one of the largest supporters of the NJ Transportation Museum and has been able to obtain artifacts that most of us never even knew existed.