Railroad Forums 

• future LIRR electrifications

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#862984  by peanut1

Hello,
I have been wondering this for awhile. I read on wikipedia that the LIRR is looking to electrify babylon central [Between babylon and Hicksville] and Babylon to Speonk. Does anybody know anything about this or have any information?
 #862993  by R36 Combine Coach

I support Speonk electrification, being a yard location and decent traffic. On off-peak periods and weekends electric trains could run to Speonk, with a cross-platform transfer to a diesel shuttle to the Hamptons and Montauk.
 #863005  by SwingMan

R36 Combine Coach wrote:I support Speonk electrification, being a yard location and decent traffic. On off-peak periods and weekends electric trains could run to Speonk, with a cross-platform transfer to a diesel shuttle to the Hamptons and Montauk.

How could it be cross platform if there's only one platform in Speonk :P ? LIRR should focus on ESA and double tracking the rest of the Main Line to KO, not electrifying to nowhere. But it is strange that they didn't electrify the Central Branch, would hep more than hurt.
 #863015  by Amtrak7

Port Jeff electrification and double tracking makes more sense to me than the Montauk Branch. Of course, the Central Branch should be the most important to electrify, as this weekend's service pattern shows.
 #863034  by Teutobergerwald

ESA will be it for a long, long time. No chance of any changes to the LIRR as it currently exists. The MTA doesn't have the money now, and it won't in the future. The bills for the debt built up since the '70's & '80's is due....30,000,000,000 dollars, isn't that the latest figure?
 #863260  by peanut1

I think they should electrify the central branch as well. You could run more service from the south shore to the north shore from Babylon without having to go all the way to Jamaica.
 #863268  by queensdee223

If you could forgive a question from the uninitiated, what is the goal of electrification? Is the idea to improve the reliability of service through use of electric equipment, which is more reliable? Are they also more cost-effective? Is part of it going for a one-seat ride?
 #863285  by LongIslandTool

Operating costs are dramatically cheaper.

Reliability and operational flexibility is much better.

Travel time and capacity are greatly increased and are train lengths.

Crew costs are reduced and manpower efficiency increases.

Maintenance and operating costs per passenger/mile are reduced.

Conversion to rapid transit-type operation and its benefits (!) are greatly accomplished.
 #867584  by wilsonpooch

Tool, I was out east recently on a greenport train. It looked like they were laying the same cables we saw being put in, when they went to 261 from Patchougue to speonk. Are there any plans to 261 from KO to greenport?
 #868157  by peanut1

The LIRR is not meant to be a subway system. They are a commuter rail plus that would be alot of money.
 #868198  by LongIslandTool

With the automated fare collection that is coming, it will be difficult to tell them apart.
 #868257  by keyboardkat

peanut1 wrote:The LIRR is not meant to be a subway system. They are a commuter rail plus that would be alot of money.
My comment about turning the LIRR into one big subway system was meant sarcastically. I certainly would not want that, although the LIRR, which used to be a RAILROAD, now seems much more of a transit machine, with cloned, lookalike MU cars, and cloned, lookalike locomotives and double deckers. Give me the LIRR of the late '50s and early '60s, with great on-time service even with older equipment, with a variety of locomotives from two manufacturers, and a variety of passenger rolling stock from MP-70 double decker MUs, to P-72s, to P-54s, and two Budd RDCs.