• future LIRR electrifications

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by peanut1

Oyster bay is already electrified. I think up to East Williston or somewhere around there. I think if any electrification should be done it should be up to Bayshore as there is storage space for the train to sit when out of service. Maybe up to Speonk eventually.
  by SwingMan

peanut1 wrote:Oyster bay is already electrified. I think up to East Williston or somewhere around there. I think if any electrification should be done it should be up to Bayshore as there is storage space for the train to sit when out of service. Maybe up to Speonk eventually.

That doesn't really count.

And I don't know of any storage space in Bay Shore you are talking about. If you're thinking the team track, that can in no way hold a long train without sh!tting up the crossings.
Nothing will happen in current decades, unless the MTA suddenly has money.
  by davelirrider

IMHO, the most logical (and probably the cheapest) branch to electrify would be the central.
Simply because it allows for MUCH more intra-island travel... changes at Hicksville instead of Jamaica, etc.
Granted, it's only 1-track, but so is a lot of the RR. It's flat, straight, and not all that long.
I think it should be high on the list of things to do, as it would really make routing so much more flexible.
  by M7 Warrior

A great rumor was the Hillside facility was going to be at Republic airport. Elecricfication of the central branch was home run if this was to happen.IMHO it still is add speed control and railroad flexibility would increase tremendously.
  by workextra

We all love to say how they need to electrify and double track out to Yahpank and or Riverhead.
However those are huge projects and cannot be funded anytime soon.
The most logical move and would cost the least expensive, would be to electrify and speed control the Central Branch. As part of the project open South Farmingdale and North Lindenhurst as either 4 or 6 car platforms put a passing siding at Wellwood Avenue for flexibility.
The Wellwood DEF would need a crossover switch in in the middle-west to allow for a trains to meet there and come back on the main for a stop at north Lindenhurst.
The project should be completed in less then 1 year. were only dealing with a little over 2 miles of single track.
  by nytrainsgogo

keyboardkat wrote:Those CPA-24 FM C-liners could take a 17-car Port Jeff train...
17 cars?what?
  by keyboardkat

Oyster Bay is electrified? East Williston happens to be only the first stop on the branch! This was done, I think, to give electric trains serving Mineola a place to change ends and cross over to the westbound track without tying up the main line. There used to be rush hour electric service to and from East Williston, and off peak service between Flatbush Ave and EW just shy of every two hours. Now I think there's one morning train EW to NYP, and that's it.
  by keyboardkat

nytrainsgogo wrote:
keyboardkat wrote:Those CPA-24 FM C-liners could take a 17-car Port Jeff train...
17 cars?what?
Yes. There used to be a train, Hunterspoint to PJ, consisting of two ex-B&M American Flyer cars, two P-72s, five modernized P-54s, two more P-72s, five more modernized P-54s, and one more P-72. That adds up to 17, by my math. This train always had a 2,400hp FM C-Liner on the point.

This train barrelling through Mineola in full cry, horns blasting for the crossings, was really something to see!
  by DutchRailnut

2400 ponies won't get 17 cars moving very fast unless there are one or two other engines behind it.
  by keyboardkat

DutchRailnut wrote:2400 ponies won't get 17 cars moving very fast unless there are one or two other engines behind it.
I guess you don't remember them thar C-Liners.
  by nytrainsgogo

if they electrify the central, then they might as well electrify out to speonk as previously said, because then all of the eastern nassau towns on the baylon line are getting jipped of the potential benefits.

If they want more intra-island travel, they can build lines in the medians or above north-south roads and expressways, ala Airtran on the van wyck. Also I think they should electrify the OB, it'd be a huge draw.
  by DutchRailnut

keyboardkat wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:2400 ponies won't get 17 cars moving very fast unless there are one or two other engines behind it.
I guess you don't remember them thar C-Liners.
If they where that flippin marvelous they would still be around.
a single E-8/9 was rated for 9 cars max at 2250 hp
  by wilsonpooch

keyboardkat is correct there were some 17 and 18 car trains back then.
Mostly 54 foot cars, but there were 72's mixed in.
i used to live in New Hyde park, and loved watching them blast through during the evening rush.
To port Jeff, and montauk. dont know how fast they went with the C-liners, but they kept the schedule.
I am sure there are pictures out there.
  by DutchRailnut

maybe two C liners but not one as Keyboard claims.
  by ch00ch00

DutchRailnut wrote:maybe two C liners but not one as Keyboard claims.
Why do you question? I will state as fact, I ran 17 car trains in and out of Port Jeff. There was NO way to multiple C-Liners. It has been said before, they were great engines, but they had to be turned for every trip. The exception was, running light from LIC to Morris Park.