Railroad Forums 

• Dover & Delaware River RR

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1624032  by AceMacSD

Bracdude181 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:09 pm RP-1 runs Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from Rockport to Phillipsburg and back for the NS exchange, working customers along the way.

RP-2 does literally everything else now. The run down NJT to Lake Junction, the branch lines out of Lake Junction, the Rockaway Branch, and Totowa. This train runs Tuesday and Thursday but it seems whatever they is at complete random. No clue when they do Totowa anymore…
Runs as needed.
 #1624038  by pdtrains

Re: NJT acquisition of WASS...

Does NJT already own Dover to Hackettstown?

Is this acquisition ..
Dover to Hackettstown, or Hackettstown to Pburg?
 #1624039  by Bracdude181

Yeah I’m a bit confused myself. The map CR7876 posted seems to suggest the line being acquired is Netcong to Hackettstown??? I thought that was already NJT owned? Plus the filing itself says NJT will not be running any sort of revenue trains on the line to be acquired.

Highly unusual. When I first saw it on the STB website I was like “is this how NJT intends to get to Allentown?” LOL
 #1624050  by CR7876

I didn't think I needed to spell this out, but I forgot who I was dealing with.

While the entire Washington Secondary Track runs westward to Phillipsburg, New Jersey MP 80.0, the portion currently
used by NJ TRANSIT only extends from M.P. 48.1 to M.P. 58.0. NJ TRANSIT is not purchasing the portion of the
Washington Secondary Track from M.P. 57.25 to M.P. 58.0. NSR will continue to own this remaining .75 mile
segment of track.

Starting in 1994 when service was extended to Hackettstown, NJT LEASED the WASS from 48.1 to 58 from Conrail. Now NJT seeks to purchase from 48.1 to 57.25, and give up its lease from 57.25 to 58.0.

This is nothing but legal paperwork, nothing operational changes.
 #1624110  by Bracdude181

Maybe they’ll fix up that siding there near the station to use as a parking spot?

While on the topic of this area, what’s up with RP-2 towing the FRA inspection train through Hackettstown a few weeks ago?
 #1624210  by AceMacSD

That siding belongs to the private industry, not the railroad. The FRA cars were inspecting the line from Phillipsburg to Dover. They'd came off an NS inspection from Sunbury to Phillipsburg with an Allentown crew. The cars were interchanged with D&D at Phillipsburg. Then handed off to NJT at Dover for inspection on their lines. One of the cars were handed off to go to Long Island RR where the car derailed before going back to NJT then handed off to CR Shared. They'll be back again.
 #1624226  by CR7876

C&M has been shipping out a few cars a month, guess these two are next.
 #1624230  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote:Are those DRRV gondolas? Where do they go when full?
Yes, there is a pool of six of them. The scrap goes where ever C&M is selling.
 #1624657  by Bracdude181

According to accuweather, a big storm is gonna hit the Washington area later. Big storm cell moving through the area today. Other part of it is hitting Flemington right now. Heard there’s a tornado on the ground there…