Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad Discussion (CSRX) - 2011

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#957602  by Jeff Smith

First, apologies to those who are getting tired of the back and forth, but I feel it's necessary for one last retort to Mr. Smythe.

Here he goes again:
John Smythe wrote: August 2, 2011 at 6:57 PM

John Smythe
Site Owner

It seems that rr.net's Jeff Smith is very preoccupied with both me and my website, in more a negative than positive light.
If you take a look at his forums, particularly the Conway thread, you can see the man obviously has a pre-occupation with this site and with me, starting when I took over site admin duties around October 2010. He goes on and on about me banning him, being a puppet, etc., inviting me on to his site and then withdrawing the invite, offering a "truce" (were we at war? I hardly noticed....), etc. he continues making false claims of connections to CSRX and censorship on my part.
John Smythe wrote:For someone whose so preoccupied with patting others on the back for sounding off about my comments regarding the death of a motorist / railfan chasing the #7470 last weekend he needs to take stock in something he seems to have overlooked by a country mile.
Again, he makes an allegation with no basis in fact. This is in addition to his statement about the owner of CSRX having blood on his hands. Now, I know there's been controversy in politics over the term "blood libel", but I think John here has libeled CSRX and its owner.
John Smythe wrote:What is that you may wonder? His signature posted at the conclusion of his posts.

Next stop, Willoughby

~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator

For those who don't know or don't remember...... " A Stop At Willoughby " is a old original " Twilight Zone w/ Rod Sterling " production about a overworked man with marital problems that eventually while commuting aboard a train leaps from the train coach platform to his death along the ROW and is carted off by " Willoughby & Son Funeral Homes hearse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSk5-tIp ... re=related

What an awful thing to post as your " Signature " on rr.net. Have you no shame? Don't call the kettle Black until you have taken a long look in the mirror at what you post yourself. Next stop, Willoughby my butt pal. What are you insinuating by that spin?
Really, John? That's the best you can come up with? A fondness for a story on the Twilight Zone with a dark ending? You're not only bitter, you're a tight-a$$ no-sense-of-humor idiot.
John Smythe wrote:Personally Jeff...... in my " Constitutionally Protected Rights " to form, speak and place into print my own personal opinions....... I think you are just a big crybaby.

Please somebody...... give him a pacifier!!
This is the sign of a desperate, bitter, man. I didn't start this, I was attacked back in October or November without provocation. I'd like this to end. As I've said, it is not my intent to humiliate the man, which I could. He's got enough trouble on his own web-site, with his members now turning on him.

Marine1 wrote:
bordenboy wrote:
August 3, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Rusty doesn't own the Valley RR, John rode to Hazens and back and nobody saw nothing and others probably turned a blind eye the whole trip. I'll bet you a hundred dollars he went all the way and back unseen. Good job buddy.
I just spoke to a friend who is a judge advocate and know a bit about the law. A hypothetical issue. Lets say someone had an active restraining order or a no trespass order and it was posted all over the Internet that the order was violated ,2 things could go into effect. 1, a bench warrant could be issued for violating the order and 2, the loudmouth who posted it could be subpoenaed by the complainant for posting said comment. so in other words bordenboy....know your role and shut your hole, you have just played right into rusty's pocket.

And if anyone is going to sit here and condone violating the law, well then we do have some issues then don't we??? You worry if young kids read this blog so you ask people to watch what they say???

Condoning breaking the law isn't the smartest thing now is it??? Whats next? Praising the guy who tresspassed and took a couple railroad items?

August 3, 2011 at 9:56 AM
So now it's been alleged that John is a lawbreaker as well.

P.s. here is the email I sent John that I've alluded to, and his response:
From: JOHN SMYTHE <address redacted> (Add as Preferred Sender)

Date: Tue, Jul 12, 2011 10:09 pm
To: [email protected]

From Subject (Thread Messages) Date Size
Dear Jeff,

Thanks for writing me. I'm glad you know the difference between MEC #501 and The Flying Yankee now. Quite a bit of difference I'd say. Now as far as CSRX. yes they have had pedophiles, child rapists in their employment. The New Hampshire State Police maintain a website for such purposes and I've done nothing wrong by naming names.
I also wish to remind you that I as an American citizen enjoy full Constitutionally Protected rights of " FREE SPEECH " even if some may consider what I say to be " HATE " speech. It was a recent U.S. Supreme Court decision a few months back. All I have done is make a suggestive statement which would if put to legal challenge surly survive under what is referred to " Constitutional Muster " it sounds like you can dish it out but can't take it.
Like you state it is for the best we do have 2 completely different websites. Looking at this situation from my end if I were you I'd learn to roll with the punches regarding your position as a Moderator or perhaps do as I did and begin your own site where you are the boss..... much more preferable to taking orders.
However to demonstrate to you that I can deal with these situations I'll issue a statement in my SCRX thread regarding the Finger Lakes issue.

Regards,

John Smythe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: address redacted
Sent: Tue, July 12, 2011 5:07:39 PM
Subject: Hello John

Hello John,

I believe this is your email; I found the address in the archive folder. Every once in a while someone on our site peruses your site to see what's going on, and came across the below post, which I wanted to respond to. First, I want you to know I have nothing against you or members of your site (some of whom I know are on railroad.net). I am not doing anyone's bidding and I have zero connection with CSRX. That should be obvious as you once posted on your site I couldn't distinguish the Flying Yankee from the 501, right? I admit that. I'm an amateur railfan and a site moderator; that's all. I do not know who runs CSRX, or have any loyalties to him/her or you. This is why I choose not to get in the middle of any argument or disagreement between you and them. I would tell CSRX the same thing. For all I know, everything you say could be true. Or you could be blowing steam. I don't own the site, and I can't put it or myself at risk if someone (and I'm not saying you would) posts something that could get us sued.

Believe me, the only orders I take are from the owner of the railroad.net site, and he basically lets me moderate it to my choosing. Otto moderates a forum or two over here, but has no admin priviliges. I am actually glad that you have your site. You are able to post things on your site that I am unable to allow on railroad.net due to its corporate ownership. I know there was a controversy in the recent past over CSRX' employment of someone on the sexual offender's list. The moderator of that forum and I agreed we couldn't post allegations we couldn't substantiate. It was not a judgement on the veracity or motives of the person posting it. You, however, were able to post it. This is why I'm glad you have your site. You can post what I can't allow. You fill that gap. You obviously take railfanning very seriously. You obviously take Conway Scenic very seriously. I think that's great.

As for the reasons for your original ban from Otto and me continuing it, in some of the forums I moderate myself, I see plenty of pissing contests and moderate it the same way; by telling them to take it off line. You can agree or disagree with the way I moderate, but my goals are different than yours. That's all. When you registered a few months back and tried to post, I would have allowed it except for a couple of reasons; you were very confrontational as I recall, and you immediately posted my replies on your site as evidence of some conspiracy on behalf of CSRX and railroad.net. I felt it misrepresented my motives for not approving your posts. I just didn't want to play that game and get involved in mediating disputes between individuals, whether it was you, Otto, or CSRX.

I have no issues with Otto; Otto was the one who introduced me to the new owners, and I appreciate the way he moderated the site in the past. And I'd also like you to know that I did not use railroad.net as some forum for bashing you or responding to your posts about us. All I said was, this is not a forum to discuss someone else's forum. So, in response to your post about me locking or banning some topic on CSRX' swapping out power with Finger Lakes, I can tell you it won't happen, and I hope you will clarify your allegation below. I appreciate that you offered me a chance at rebuttal a few months back on your site; maybe I should have taken you up on that and we could have cleared this up long ago.

But whether or not you clarify it, I would hope you would stop bashing me in your posts with blatant falsehoods.

I wish you and your site the best of luck.

Jeff Smith

Topic: Conway Scenic Railroad @ N. Conway NH
Word on the streets of N. Conway based on the condition of anonymity is that the two " U-Boats " will be departing CSRX for a new home at Finger Lakes Railway in exchange for a GP-9. I suppose one again there will be a total news blackout on rr.net or a new " U-Boat Locomotive Fantasy Forum " will be initiated then locked down by Jeff Smith on orders from CSRX? It's just a matter of details to be worked out. Remember you read it here first. Barring any last minute changes, look to this website for future coverage. Thank You. For those of you who regularly viewed this site last spring in 2010 NERF stated that the CSRX F-9's would be leaving and I got hell for it? Remember? It's just a matter of what day and hour.
By the way I love those captions submitted by our regulars to Brians photo. Maybe a few of them could be published in the Conway Daily Sun. Keep them coming. Thanks and enjoy.
--

Remember......... Conway Scenic RR has a past history of train derailments in 2010. I used to volunteer there and in my opinion " They Place Profit First.... and Safety Last "
Play it safe. Please patronize any of our other great New England area Tourist Railroads which offer more honestly described train rides, place customer safety first and serve higher quality food / dining options.
Don't be fooled by Conway Scenic RR offering so called " Old Fashioned " train rides with NO steam locomotive. Avoid this " Tourist Trap " at all costs.
John Smythe Site Owner and Administrator
July 8, 2011 at 1:06 PM FlagQuote & Reply
John Smythe lacks grace, is a bully, and a tyrant. I've tried to take the high road. It's over. I feel sorry for him. I've tried to encourage him to behave in a better manner. I ignored his b.s. for over 6 months. Read his threads on Conway. Read his other News thread. It's sad. John, grow up. I'm not the baby here. I've tried to be the adult. I've ignored you. I've asked you nicely to cut the crap. You are the one throwing the tantrum. I can see why you've been barred from CSRX property.

/End rebuttal.

Once more, and hopefully for the last time, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
 #957619  by steamer69

You two need to get a room. I'll even provide the boxing gloves. If you two love eachother so much, maybe you can go on a date. Isn't there a railroad forum anywhere where we don't have to deal with this stuff? Over here it's you and John....over there it's Marine1 and Bourdon Boy. Maybe the four of you can go on a double date!....:-p Just kidding....or not....
while this is destracting you, get all the pictures and rides on the #7470 while you still can, it has been confermed that when her form 4 comes due, they are not going to renew it. It will be put to pasture.
 #957625  by steamer69

Not a problem Jeff, just trying to break you two "lovebirds" up for a bit....LMAO!!!!!!!
 #957641  by steamer69

Her 1472 will be due in 2014 and this has come from employees at CSRX who have been told that due to the financial restraints in doing a form 4 re-build, they will not be preping the engine for it, or setting aside the capitol to do it. Also with the trend in Northern New England right now to get rid of the steamers, (example at the Cog) this is not such a hard pill to swallow. Also, take a look at the use of the engine now. It is being used less and less every year, most likely to save operating days and OOS credit to strech it's tube time as long as possible. You figure that to do it right, it will take a few years of man hours pluss the $100,000-$200,000 in parts and tubes that are required to be replaced reguardless of weather or not their time is up.
 #957657  by jscola30

well at least we still got a few years. It will be sad though, but I guess as you say, not surprising. Unless I guess we establish a "Friends of #7470 to raise the money"? That would be the only way to avert it.
 #957659  by steamer69

That would be a great idea, but you would have to raise the purchase price of the locomotive as well. Also remember that you would need to provide the personel to do the work as CSRX doesn't have the people to "legaly" do the boiler work. I don't think that the current management at CSRX would go in with a group based on nothing more than a promise, and with the way the management works, you would have no promise as to where and when the locomotive would run. The only real good place for the 7470 where you are not beating the ever loving CR#! out of it is on the southern end. Using her up on the mountain, while quite amusing and putting on a good show, really doesn't do much other than beat up the engine and track. Not really the streatch of railroad to be running an 0-6-0 on. Now something like the 501....that's a different story for a different thread at a different time. Just sayin......
 #957685  by jscola30

well I was thinking more along the lines of a group that could raise funds to donate to the railroad to pay for the upkeep of 7470 and it's form 4 etc. I guess to some degree we could even broaden it to include the 501.
 #957727  by daylight4449

Reader#108 wrote:Steamer.....can you provide a link or info on what exactly a Form 4 is for those of us who don't know/aren't sure what it means?
I think of it as a boiler overhaul. Replacement of tubes/flues, hydrostatic tests, and replacing super-heater units that are no longer fit for service. But that's what i get. There is probably way more to it than that...
 #957734  by Cosmo

steamer69 wrote:That would be a great idea, but you would have to raise the purchase price of the locomotive as well. Also remember that you would need to provide the personel to do the work as CSRX doesn't have the people to "legaly" do the boiler work. I don't think that the current management at CSRX would go in with a group based on nothing more than a promise, and with the way the management works, you would have no promise as to where and when the locomotive would run. The only real good place for the 7470 where you are not beating the ever loving CR#! out of it is on the southern end. Using her up on the mountain, while quite amusing and putting on a good show, really doesn't do much other than beat up the engine and track. Not really the streatch of railroad to be running an 0-6-0 on. Now something like the 501....that's a different story for a different thread at a different time. Just sayin......
Steamer, thank you. That was a well thought out, informative, and very fair and realistic posting. Keeping steamer like 7470 running IS a very expensive undertaking, her Form 4 all the more so. Many people will no doubt come out with "they could, they should," and "they oughta's," but I think that about the only way would be for a group like the one mentioned above to undertake fundraising specifically for the task. Also, the roundhouse in N. Conway just isn't set up for that kind of work, not at the level that 7470's going to need. They just don't have the space, the income or the manpower/expertise for that kind of rebuild. Oh, don't get me wrong, it's out there, but it's COSTLY! The remaining certified pressure vessel welders and contractors in this country don't work for cheap.
And I agree that the 0-6-0 just is not suited for the Notch. Oh, she looked good,.. no, she looked AWESOME going up the mountain, but doing so took hours of service off her life, and the tracks as well.
We can only hope she'll be well taken care of when they park her next to the 501 so maybe someday in the future she might be able to run again.
 #957750  by superwarp1

If she's not going to run again on the Conway when her time is up, she needs to be sold to someplace where she will run. Nice little engine which deserves to operate. There's nothing I hate more than a static steamer displayed somewhere rusting away.
 #957755  by steamer69

Reader,
For information on the form 4, you can look here
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/te ... ain_02.tpl

If memory serves the section on 1472 day (also called a 15 year or form 4) is pert 230.17. That will give you an idea about what has to be done. The entire part 230 covers the regulations on steam engines in regulated service.

Thanks Cosmo...anytime. Hope you had a good trip. Hows the "rice burner" doing in Essex?
 #957758  by Cosmo

steamer69 wrote:Reader,
For information on the form 4, you can look here
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/te ... ain_02.tpl

If memory serves the section on 1472 day (also called a 15 year or form 4) is pert 230.17. That will give you an idea about what has to be done. The entire part 230 covers the regulations on steam engines in regulated service.

Thanks Cosmo...anytime. Hope you had a good trip. Hows the "rice burner" doing in Essex?
She's gettin' there. Too bad CSRR couldn't find one of those for sale someplace. :wink: