• Conway Scenic Railroad Discussion (CSRX) - 2011

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Jeff Smith

I would only caution against the use of real names when discussing operations that might get someone in trouble. Remember, one may have inside sources, and that's great; just consider the ramifications of posting the information. No one wants to get an "innocent" fired.

I think Noel and Steamer both have good points; let's just find a middle ground here. We're not looking for a thread with rainbows and leprachauns nor a thread with daggers and mob hits.

In other words, let's keep it clean and professional. Good advice for me as well. ;-)
  by steamer69

Jeff,
Right on,

Noel,
If you are trying to say that I am someone else, um no. Jeff knows who I am, and it's not who you think I am....Sorry if I get you rilled up because I tell the truth...not my problem.
  by Steameng7

Rumor control: No decision has been made about doing a new form 4 for 7470 when the current one expires in mid-2014. As Noel says a lot can happen in 2-3 years. No gag order has been issued to CSRX employees about 7470, that's nuts! No damage was done to 7470 by running her up the mountain. 5 cars are well within her tonnage rating and she is built like a tank and is well maintained. A test run was made on Saturday, July 30. 7470 ran on the 1:30 Valley train as shakedown for the trip to Whitefield. In other matters as far as derailing twice in the same spot remember the second train was a TEST train with no passengers aboard. This train was run at great expense by the company to insure that the problem was resolved. The problem was identified and corrected. There have been no issues since. This car was inspected by 3 other railroads before it ever arrived at Hazen's. I point this out to demonstrate that the problem was difficult to diagnose but it was found and corrected. How about some support for CSRX instead of continuous tearing down? What the hell is the matter with some of you people?
  by Cosmo

Steameng7 wrote:Rumor control: No decision has been made about doing a new form 4 for 7470 when the current one expires in mid-2014. As Noel says a lot can happen in 2-3 years. No gag order has been issued to CSRX employees about 7470, that's nuts! No damage was done to 7470 by running her up the mountain. 5 cars are well within her tonnage rating and she is built like a tank and is well maintained. A test run was made on Saturday, July 30. 7470 ran on the 1:30 Valley train as shakedown for the trip to Whitefield. In other matters as far as derailing twice in the same spot remember the second train was a TEST train with no passengers aboard. This train was run at great expense by the company to insure that the problem was resolved. The problem was identified and corrected. There have been no issues since. This car was inspected by 3 other railroads before it ever arrived at Hazen's. I point this out to demonstrate that the problem was difficult to diagnose but it was found and corrected. How about some support for CSRX instead of continuous tearing down? What the hell is the matter with some of you people?
Amen!
  by MEC407

Hear, hear!
  by gokeefe

Steameng7 wrote:How about some support for CSRX instead of continuous tearing down? What the hell is the matter with some of you people?
We don't know.

I'm quite sure practically all of us remain as grateful as ever for what CSRX does. Just keep doing what you've always done. Feel free to ignore the cranks.
  by jscola30

Let me just say that coming up last weekend brought back many memories of when I was younger taking the Valley train and then later the Notch train. I wish I could come up every year but I can't do to my jobs. I would love to come up for a railfan weekend sometime and go down the Redstone branch. I miss the sisters, but I think the new locos are great and I love all the new artwork/logos featuring them. Let's just hope #7470 will be steaming along for a good many years to come.
  by Reader#108

I for one agree....there has been alot of bashing going on and alot of it seems to me to be out of sync. I have had a million conversations with people that work there and I have also ridden frequently. As I have stated before, everytime I walk out of Zeb's, I want to see 7470 waiting for the next ride. I am also reallistic enough to understand that you want your gem to run during peak times and at peak performance.

These hard working folks at the railroad have just hosted a boatload of people for 2 weeks of Thomas the Train....they just took 7470 up through New Hampshire's
most beautiful scenic area and invited EVERYONE. They swapped out the sisters for the yellow birds and have been able to get more efficient use out of their power
because of it. They had 1055 put back on her "home" rails over at Downeast Scenic (which, I need to get to ). Poor little 15 got moved off to Canada, where she will
run regular service, with people who love her and want her to run again for a long time. I met these folks, they are top notch people.

Anyone who saw me standing next to the turntable Sunday would have noticed immediately that I have a very deep feeling for 7470. There isn't much left around
from even when I was a kid, and in that whistfulness, I started to think about all the great things about North Conway NH. For my family, Conway Scenic is both
the start and finish of any trip I make up there. The people are warm and friendly, the ride is great and there is nothing like hearing the whistle echo off the mountains.

I will continue to go again and again....and I hope you will too.
  by jscola30

Reader#108 wrote:I met these folks, they are top notch people..
No pun intended right? yuck yuck yuck
  by Jeff Smith

I will say this much; I appreciate the points being raised here, BOTH PRO AND CON. I can neither vet nor confirm anything posted here, and I have no reason to believe or disbelieve it. So long as it doesn't degenerate into personal accusations, hyperbole', and ad hominem attacks, take what you read here and assess it yourself. That said, asking what the he!! is wrong with critics may not be the right tack, even if many or most sympathize.

Criticism, mostly constructive, should be welcome. So yeah, you can enjoy riding steam, and it's a blast. But for some who know "how the sausage is made", it may be frustrating.
  by Mikejf

Evidently my post was either not submitted or removed. So I'll try it again.

The two derailments in one spot have been beaten to death. Steameng7 said it best. But I will add that prior to that, they NEVER had trouble with wheel sets. So not knowing what the problem was, was the only reason for the second derailment. I bet the next time, the wheelsets will be inspected for movement on a car that has sat for years.

The dining car grease problem was solved. No damage, just a good cleaning by the kitchen crew.

The Hattie missed only 1 revenue day due to its fire. Great job by the shop crew getting it back in service.

And finally the notch fires. The story made the fires bigger than they actually were.

Bottom line, all of these involved human error. A mistake on somones part. I bet none of these happen again because of the lessons learned. Life goes on, just like Conway Scenic.

Mike
  by b&m 1566

WOW, I go away on vacation and I miss all the fun!
Steameng7 wrote:Rumor control: No decision has been made about doing a new form 4 for 7470 when the current one expires in mid-2014. As Noel says a lot can happen in 2-3 years. No gag order has been issued to CSRX employees about 7470, that's nuts! No damage was done to 7470 by running her up the mountain. 5 cars are well within her tonnage rating and she is built like a tank and is well maintained. A test run was made on Saturday, July 30. 7470 ran on the 1:30 Valley train as shakedown for the trip to Whitefield. In other matters as far as derailing twice in the same spot remember the second train was a TEST train with no passengers aboard. This train was run at great expense by the company to insure that the problem was resolved. The problem was identified and corrected. There have been no issues since. This car was inspected by 3 other railroads before it ever arrived at Hazen's. I point this out to demonstrate that the problem was difficult to diagnose but it was found and corrected. How about some support for CSRX instead of continuous tearing down? What the hell is the matter with some of you people?
Mr. Hallet, I can't speak for everyone but I do appreciate what you people do. Since 2005, my girlfriend/fiance and I have been on at least one train ride a year and up to as much as five, with the majority being on the notch train (in fact we just rode the notch train July 6th). Including the other dozen or so rides I've taken since the early 90's, I can honestly say, it never gets old.
  by CSRR573

Anyone know what happed to the outside braced boxcar at bartlett?