Railroad Forums 

• Conference Car 9800

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#970855  by Tadman

Davis, you've got it. Many steam specials are in reality Amtrak specials (notice the P42 always behind MILW 261). That's because Amtrak has a large insurance contract so they get great rates. Friends of 261 probably carries 500,000 seat miles/year while Amtrak probably has 5 billion seat miles/year. Ergo Amtrak gets far better rates, and steam/fantrips (either on-network or off) are usually contracted thru Amtrak for insurance reasons.
 #971027  by strench707

Wow I never knew that, Amtrak's really involved in everything! I always wondered how all of those rare-mileage trips were executed by people but it seems like Amtrak can take care of all of that for you when contracting with them! I'd sure do it in a heartbeat but I couldn't imagine how much even a day trip would cost!

Davis
 #976162  by acelaphillies

CSX Conductor wrote:Although I can't state the exact pattern, the Clipper usually comes up to Boston on train #172 at least once a month and returns the next day on train # 171. This is a recent change. It used to come up from DC on 174.
Thanks for the tip! If you hear anything else post it.
 #990863  by ThirdRail7

acelaphillies wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:The 9800 will be out and about on November 29th.
Cool,I am assuming on the NEC. Do you know what trains or what time?
Duuuh. I forgot to tell you. Where are my manners? The 9800 will operate WAS-NYP-WAS. It's piggybacking on the rear of 110 to NYP for a return charter move. I think the return move is 345pm. Some team is riding it, so it is subject to delay.