• Conference Car 9800

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Tadman

Davis, you've got it. Many steam specials are in reality Amtrak specials (notice the P42 always behind MILW 261). That's because Amtrak has a large insurance contract so they get great rates. Friends of 261 probably carries 500,000 seat miles/year while Amtrak probably has 5 billion seat miles/year. Ergo Amtrak gets far better rates, and steam/fantrips (either on-network or off) are usually contracted thru Amtrak for insurance reasons.
  by strench707

Wow I never knew that, Amtrak's really involved in everything! I always wondered how all of those rare-mileage trips were executed by people but it seems like Amtrak can take care of all of that for you when contracting with them! I'd sure do it in a heartbeat but I couldn't imagine how much even a day trip would cost!

Davis
  by CSX Conductor

Although I can't state the exact pattern, the Clipper usually comes up to Boston on train #172 at least once a month and returns the next day on train # 171. This is a recent change. It used to come up from DC on 174.
  by acelaphillies

CSX Conductor wrote:Although I can't state the exact pattern, the Clipper usually comes up to Boston on train #172 at least once a month and returns the next day on train # 171. This is a recent change. It used to come up from DC on 174.
Thanks for the tip! If you hear anything else post it.
  by ThirdRail7

acelaphillies wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:The 9800 will be out and about on November 29th.
Cool,I am assuming on the NEC. Do you know what trains or what time?
Duuuh. I forgot to tell you. Where are my manners? The 9800 will operate WAS-NYP-WAS. It's piggybacking on the rear of 110 to NYP for a return charter move. I think the return move is 345pm. Some team is riding it, so it is subject to delay.
  by ThirdRail7

The 9800 will be out and about Nov 25, departing Philly approximately 630pm for NYP. It will return around 1000pm.
  by ThirdRail7

The 9800 will be out and about all weekend. It'll be on the rear of 90 tonight, a special on Saturday NYP-Was and return Sunday.
  by rodmanb294

9800 was part of the National Train Day exibit this past Saturday at 30th St Station in Philly... The walk thru was a nice surprise.