Railroad Forums 

• Comet I's Officially Retired?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#562164  by braves

HOw many Comet I and Comet Ib cars are still in active service as of today and how many have now been retired from daily news.
 #562167  by blockline4180

How many more new threads do we have to make for this, really????

My guess would be 4 or 5 sets left. I'm not certain, but I believe the 7-car set still runs to Suffern during the evening rush.
 #562169  by Chessie GM50

blockline4180 wrote:How many more new threads do we have to make for this, really????

My guess would be 4 or 5 sets left. I'm not certain, but I believe the 7-car set still runs to Suffern during the evening rush.
I swear that we already had a thread on this topic...
 #562178  by NorEasterNick

As a tribute to the Comet I and IB cars, I think we should have a photo thread dedicated on their behalf. I personally would like to see the I's and IB's running on the ACL. Any photos of that would be greatly appreciated. I started riding the ACL in '99 when II's and IB's were used, but sadly never shot any photos.
 #562520  by Silverliner II

blockline4180 wrote:How many more new threads do we have to make for this, really????
Well, the Search function is certainly not helping me find the older threads quickly. It seems to treat "Comet" as the search term and ignored the "I"....so you can imagine how many times "Comet" came up....
 #562819  by Port Jervis

Last Tuesday, the 1:10 to Middletown from Hoboken was a 5-car Comet I set. If I hadn't just boarded a PVL train with 4 Comet III's on it, I'd have been really shocked.
 #563517  by Port Jervis

TDowling wrote:I am fairly certain that the 1:10 from HOB always uses Comet Is.

I know, but this particular time it was a solid Comet I set (7/29). It was the first off-peak Port Jervis train I've seen using the older cars. Ever.
 #563908  by nick11a

Gladstone had a 4-car set last week on a run from Hoboken then returned.
 #566557  by blockline4180

Got very lucky today...Caught train #1001 with a solid set of Comet I's... The engine, one of my favorite(4112) was pulling 5 Comet's with cab car 5123. Turned as train #660.