• Comet I's Officially Retired?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by njrail3963

There were a good number of Comet 1B's and 7 engines on the track behind Hudson tower (Center St Branch?) yesterday afternoon. They were still there this morning. Anyone knows what's up?
  by Silverliner II

Today in the CSX yard at South Kearny was a string of 15 Comet Ib cars and seven locomotives.

The locos were GP40FH's 4135, 4137, 4140, 4143, 4144 and F40PH-2CAT units 4117, 4118
  by BuddSilverliner269

That train of 12 Comet 1bs and 7 locomotives have been sitting on the Center Street Branch for about 3 days. I was thinking at 1st that maybe they were the cars that Septa purchased but the purchse was for 8 cars plus parts. Does that equate to 4 extra cars? Also where would the diesels be going to?Certainly not to Septa unless thers something going on that we dont know. This would be dumb that if this stuff or at least the cars are destined to Septa then why have CSX ship them? I mean a NJT crew could take the train to Trenton where a Septa crew could take it over down to SEPTA LAND. If these cars arent for Septa and when the cars do go to get shipped to Septa, does anyone such as JTGSHU have any idea how they will be shipped? No speculation since we know CSX could ship them down or NJT or Amtrak.
  by CNJGeep

That's not the SEPTA cars/engines. They're going to Montreal.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Thanks CNJ Geep, that was my other thought but wasnt sure. That makes sense why they were in Kearny Yard to get shipped out. :P
  by blockline4180

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Thanks CNJ Geep, that was my other thought but wasnt sure. That makes sense why they were in Kearny Yard to get shipped out. :P

Where are the 8 Comet I's that your getting??
  by BuddSilverliner269

No not me personally blockline.Hahaha. I use to work for Septa. Not anymore. When I hear anything I will post but I havent heard anything.
  by blockline4180

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:No not me personally blockline.Hahaha. I use to work for Septa. Not anymore. When I hear anything I will post but I havent heard anything.

Yeah, I wish I had the money to purchase one... Hahahaha! Thanks though!
  by nick11a

Yeah, so the string of FH-2s and IBs from the Turnpike overpass. An impressive looking sight.
  by Silverliner II

I'm surprised the two F40's were in the mix as well....

The 14 Comet Ib's in the lineup are (in order, though they were not coupled up in order)
5220, 5221, 5222, 5225, 5226, 5227, 5228, 5229, 5231, 5232, 5233, and 5234
Cab cars 5156 and 5157

I spotted three other Comet Ib's in the yard; not sure if they were the remaining three trailers, or all cabs. Safe to say all are no longer in service though?
  by TrainDuNord

Silverliner II wrote:I'm surprised the two F40's were in the mix as well....

The 14 Comet Ib's in the lineup are (in order, though they were not coupled up in order)
5220, 5221, 5222, 5225, 5226, 5227, 5228, 5229, 5231, 5232, 5233, and 5234
Cab cars 5156 and 5157
That's the cars Montreal's AMT says it has leased, together with 2 F40's and 5 GP40's. However, an update to the call for tenders for the cleaning of the cars (dated Aug 14) now talks of a total of 24 to 26 Comet 1Bs. I don't know if another dozen will follow.
  by CNJGeep

Well, you figure it this way.
They have twelve trailers and two cabs, enough to make two seven-car trains.
Let's say they bump that up to twenty-six, which would be ten trailers and two cabs, enough to make an additional two six-car trains. If they only want twenty-four, then there would be an additional two five-car trains.
Are five car trains frequently run on AMT?
  by TrainDuNord

CNJGeep wrote:Are five car trains frequently run on AMT?
It depends on the line. The Vaudreuil-Rigaud line and the Blainville-St.Jerome line use 8-cars trains (Bombardier bilevels and others). Two-Mountains uses 10-cars MR-90 trains. I don't know about the St.Hilaire line, but the Candiac line is limited to 5-car trains because many stations are too short.
  by Port Jervis

braves wrote:HOw many Comet I and Comet Ib cars are still in active service as of today and how many have now been retired from daily news.
Just a note, I did not see any Comet I's on the M&E/Boonton lines(s) at all this morning, which is a first for me. Everything was Comet IIM and up. Didn't see any at Hoboken either, but I can't speak for the Main/Bergen/PVL lines. They are definatley getting more and more scarce.
  by blockline4180

Port Jervis wrote:
braves wrote:HOw many Comet I and Comet Ib cars are still in active service as of today and how many have now been retired from daily news.
Just a note, I did not see any Comet I's on the M&E/Boonton lines(s) at all this morning, which is a first for me. Everything was Comet IIM and up. Didn't see any at Hoboken either, but I can't speak for the Main/Bergen/PVL lines. They are definatley getting more and more scarce.
Over a month ago I got a response from a customer service agent stating the last set would run sometime between this Thanksgiving and New Years 2009.. Perhaps plans have changed and they are all gone now... NJT has been wrong before, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were all taken out of service already!