• AEM7 to Museum?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by cnj1524

RR museum of PA to aquire an AEM7,can anyone confirm this or is this just a rumor???
  by Matt Johnson

They did get an E60, so I'd be willing to put money on it. They also have an original Budd Metroliner. If only Amtrak would see fit to send one of the Rohr Turbos their way!

(Interesting that the museum's Metroliner has a standard knuckle coupler when clearly the Metroliners originally did not.)
  by BuddSilverliner269

Considering that the Turbos had no connection to the state of PA, I don't see any reason why RR museum of Pa should get one. Listen, I know you miss them but there is therapy for that ;)
  by Ken W2KB

Matt Johnson wrote:They did get an E60, so I'd be willing to put money on it. They also have an original Budd Metroliner. If only Amtrak would see fit to send one of the Rohr Turbos their way!

(Interesting that the museum's Metroliner has a standard knuckle coupler when clearly the Metroliners originally did not.)
I wonder if there was a compromise coupler for rescue purposes, or what was utilized when the GG1s pulled the Metroliner equipment for a period in the latter part of the 1970's one winter if I recall correctly when ice/snow somehow disabled them?
  by Tadman

I believe the standard AAR tightlock couplers came when the units were rebuilt into Capitoliner trains for HBG service. I think in that capacity they were pulled 100% of the time by a locomotive so the normal couplers were a necessity.

What's really cool about that pic is the restored PRR appearance, I wonder how hard that was to do.
  by HexOmega2319

Tadman wrote:I believe the standard AAR tightlock couplers came when the units were rebuilt into Capitoliner trains for HBG service. I think in that capacity they were pulled 100% of the time by a locomotive so the normal couplers were a necessity.

What's really cool about that pic is the restored PRR appearance, I wonder how hard that was to do.

That unit was never rebuilt as a capitoliner. They literally did nothing to it.
  by NH2060

Perhaps they'll restore the livery to its original Phase III? ;-)
  by R36 Combine Coach

Regarding sending a AEM7 to museum, the one unit that would have the most historical significance, the prototype and class unit no longer exists (900).
  by ApproachMedium

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Regarding sending a AEM7 to museum, the one unit that would have the most historical significance, the prototype and class unit no longer exists (900).
the 902 is still around and is still an original DC motor, unfortunately there was no way to escape the loss of 900, and 901 being an AC. There really isnt much of anything that was different on the exterior or interior of the first unit from the first 20 of them. The 604 is not the original E60 but it was the best candidate as it had been overhauled and was in good working order before it left. The 902 would be the best bet we could ever have for a museum piece.

And with that, the 947-953 I hope see nothing but the light of the scrappers torch. And the 915. Those things are the biggest pieces of crap in the AEM-7 fleet. Source: I have to fix them!
  by amtrakhogger

MY pick is the 906.
  by R36 Combine Coach

ApproachMedium wrote:947-953 I hope see nothing but the light of the scrappers torch.
Any differences between those later 1987 units and the earlier 1979-82 models? The only thing I know is that the later AEM7s had body shells assembled in Austria (instead of by Budd). Those higher number units are usually on the Keystone.
  by amtrakhogger

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:947-953 I hope see nothing but the light of the scrappers torch.
Any differences between those later 1987 units and the earlier 1979-82 models? The only thing I know is that the later AEM7s had body shells assembled in Austria (instead of by Budd). Those higher number units are usually on the Keystone.
The one difference between the original order of AEM7's and the 947-953 is the latter is equipped for push-pull operation.
  by Tadman

HexOmega2319 wrote:
Tadman wrote:I believe the standard AAR tightlock couplers came when the units were rebuilt into Capitoliner trains for HBG service. I think in that capacity they were pulled 100% of the time by a locomotive so the normal couplers were a necessity.

That unit was never rebuilt as a capitoliner. They literally did nothing to it.
So that unit never made it to Amtrak colors? I thought they all got Amtrak colors by the late 1970's. That said, I'm not a metroliner expert.
  by ApproachMedium

amtrakhogger wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:
The one difference between the original order of AEM7's and the 947-953 is the latter is equipped for push-pull operation.

Other differences are not seen by the railfan outside. The schematics are different for the push pull operation and these might have come without the pressductors, which never worked right anyways. The interiors were also not assembled by EMD also right? It seems there are issues that these higher number units have and behaviors that are not ever seen in the other units.
  by Nasadowsk

What was the issue with Pressductor anyway? Actually, what the heck did they even HAVE those things in a locomotive for? I'm guessing it was another silly ASEA idea (long boring winters in Sweden?), but....