• AEM7 to Museum?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Tadman

afiggatt wrote:The Amtrak Inspector General's office criticized Amtrak for ordering 70 ACS-64s as that was more than the current number of trains need. Amtrak had, IIRC, 64 (nominally) working AEM-7s and HHP-8s when the ACS-64 order was placed. So 70 units is an increase in fleet size. But Amtrak is looking at the long view for the ACS-64 order to have a reserve for growth in Regional and Keystone service. Once the production line shuts down, ordering 5 units to fill a gap 10 years from now would be expensive.
That's a bit frustrating. As Afiggatt mentions, it is really hard to buy a handful of such equipment once the production line is down. What happens is you often get an oddball or a problem locomotive. Witness CP's purchase of SD40F's after the SD40 line had been down for a few years. It was a total disaster. The Amtrak purchase of HHP's was not exactly a good deal, either - they needed a handful of conventional locomotives and shoe-horned the Acela technology into a conventional package. Big surprise, it didn't work well either.

The only other choice is to give up on adding new trains except every 20 years when new power is ordered. That doesn't make much sense.
  by ACeInTheHole

Saw the 915 flying through Rahway today. Haha.
  by ApproachMedium

That POS still pulls trains? Another motor i couldnt trust as far as I can throw it. lol

But when she runs let er go! lol
  by MBTA1016

ApproachMedium wrote:That POS still pulls trains? Another motor i couldnt trust as far as I can throw it. lol

Yes it does, I saw the pic that beanbag took. 949 is still out there too hahahaha.
  by ACeInTheHole

ApproachMedium wrote:That POS still pulls trains? Another motor i couldnt trust as far as I can throw it. lol

I saw it actually two days in a row! Now watch her quit today lol. I saw 915-918 yesterday, 939-940 two days ago, 947, 948, 950, 904, 912.. Yeah I saw a bunch. LOL. Any good stories involving these engines?
  by ThirdRail7

beanbag wrote:

I saw it actually two days in a row! Now watch her quit today lol. I saw 915-918 yesterday, 939-940 two days ago, 947, 948, 950, 904, 912.. Yeah I saw a bunch. LOL. Any good stories involving these engines?

Every engine has their own story Beanbag. They all have their own personalities..their own quirks..their own habits.

You almost have to treat them as humans. You have to listen to them...address their needs...and they will take care of you.

Think about the engines like you think about your car.
  by ApproachMedium

915 pretty much has to stay on harrisburg sets. Its been known to not play well with others and does not like being detached from cab cars.

947 and 950 are junk. The 947 will run good usually but its in that batch of not made by EMD AEM-7s so it has those quirks. I heard someone complain about 904 recently but that engine i often forget we have it because i never see it in the shop. Same with the 912. For a bit 912 was wonky but its also managed to stay out of my hair for quite a while. And its a DC motor too.
  by Tadman

What AEM7 were not made by EMD?
  by ApproachMedium

945-953 The bodies were not made by Budd either
  by ACeInTheHole

ThirdRail7 wrote:
beanbag wrote:

Every engine has their own story Beanbag. They all have their own personalities..their own quirks..their own habits.

You almost have to treat them as humans. You have to listen to them...address their needs...and they will take care of you.

Think about the engines like you think about your car.
Ah.. I see now. Kinda like the golf carts at the driving range I work at, each one has its own little things, like one will be quick in a straight line but not handle so well and the next will handle well but not be so fast. That type thing right? Last question, which locomotive do you like working with the best? Like when you see the paperwork for your next run.. Which number gives you that "this is gonna be a good run" type feeling?
  by fl9m2004

Saw 912-907 with 5 vermonter 54 both pantagraphs up cab car was 9635 right behind the 2 engines
cafe car was on rear
  by ACeInTheHole

ApproachMedium wrote:915 pretty much has to stay on harrisburg sets. Its been known to not play well with others and does not like being detached from cab cars.

947 and 950 are junk. The 947 will run good usually but its in that batch of not made by EMD AEM-7s so it has those quirks. I heard someone complain about 904 recently but that engine i often forget we have it because i never see it in the shop. Same with the 912. For a bit 912 was wonky but its also managed to stay out of my hair for quite a while. And its a DC motor too.
Classic bully in the sandbox who secretly has a blanket that he cant sleep without back home type thing there with the 915 eh? Hahaha
  by ApproachMedium

Something like that.
  by fl9m2004

So 915 could operate on Vermonter until they don't use the cab car
Any other aem7's acting up lately
Haven't seen 902 or 901 recently unless they're running between New York and Washington D.C. trains
  by ApproachMedium

901 has been out of revenue service for quite some time. It saw testing with the ACS64 and I think it snuck back in around the recently past holidays but its continually a problem so it doesnt pull passenger service.