• AEM7 to Museum?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Nasadowsk

If it's sitting in a good climate controlled building, then it would be 'hit the button and go'. Or close to it. Something that's sat outside a few years? I'd at least want someone to go over the high power circuitry and critical control stuff, before raising the pan...

Ideally, I'd want to see that either way.
  by Tadman

ApproachMedium wrote:Well its not like a diesel engine full of fluids or anything, probably just charge the batteries up and put the pan up and it might just work.
They did exactly this on South Shore 803 over at IRM. They towed it outside with a diesel, and used said diesel's compressor to charge up enough air to raise the pan. It then moved under its own power after not moving for quite some time.
  by South Jersey Budd

I'd say an AEM-7 should be included and maybe even an F40 as well. These two engines were the backbone of the rebirth of passenger service in Pennsylvania and the US as shown by AMTRAK's incredible passenger counts these days.
  by ACeInTheHole

South Jersey Budd wrote:I'd say an AEM-7 should be included and maybe even an F40 as well. These two engines were the backbone of the rebirth of passenger service in Pennsylvania and the US as shown by AMTRAK's incredible passenger counts these days.
There are still a bunch of ex Amtrak F40s all over the place, including a few that have made it to museums, were ok on F40s. Im sure at least one AEM will make it to a museum, just not the 949, Im sure Approach would singlehandedly scrap that one himself before that one ever so much as sets a wheel on museum property :-D
  by ApproachMedium

beanbag wrote:
South Jersey Budd wrote:I'd say an AEM-7 should be included and maybe even an F40 as well. These two engines were the backbone of the rebirth of passenger service in Pennsylvania and the US as shown by AMTRAK's incredible passenger counts these days.
There are still a bunch of ex Amtrak F40s all over the place, including a few that have made it to museums, were ok on F40s. Im sure at least one AEM will make it to a museum, just not the 949, Im sure Approach would singlehandedly scrap that one himself before that one ever so much as sets a wheel on museum property :-D

I would gladly push the 949 off a cliff as soon as I am givin the blessing. In fact I would love to personally be the one to push the launch button to send that engine in to a brick wall in Pueblo for crash testing.
  by R36 Combine Coach

beanbag wrote:
There is a F40 on the exhibit train: 406.
  by MBTA1016

ApproachMedium wrote:
beanbag wrote:

I would gladly push the 949 off a cliff as soon as I am givin the blessing. In fact I would love to personally be the one to push the launch button to send that engine in to a brick wall in Pueblo for crash testing.
We should all give approach a scale model of 949 to hang in his house. :)
  by ApproachMedium

Only if its a Pinata. And that can be 947, 949-953. Any one of those junkers.
  by ThirdRail7

For all of AM's complaining, I note the 949 is out and about quite a bit. It may end up in the shop occasionally but it always reappears in a matter of days(unlike other pieces of equipment.) Perhaps it is more than a lack of maintenance. Perhaps it has less to do with the actual motor and more to do with how they are operated and repaired...and by whom.
  by ApproachMedium

Well that I can say, I have heard that it does run very well and pulls good. Its always been HEP problems with that thing for me, that seem to not be repaired by what seems to fix everything else. That and I do recall we had a neverending cab signal/acses issue with it at one point. There really isnt one crappy engine out there though, therea a few of them and they all have their own quirks. Like the 915s whacky propulsion issues it had for a while. Then there are some that just work. Like the 926, and 937. The 912 I haven heard from in a while either. But the 910. Oh boy.... LOL
  by 25Hz

ApproachMedium wrote:Well that I can say, I have heard that it does run very well and pulls good. Its always been HEP problems with that thing for me, that seem to not be repaired by what seems to fix everything else. That and I do recall we had a neverending cab signal/acses issue with it at one point. There really isnt one crappy engine out there though, therea a few of them and they all have their own quirks. Like the 915s whacky propulsion issues it had for a while. Then there are some that just work. Like the 926, and 937. The 912 I haven heard from in a while either. But the 910. Oh boy.... LOL
Please do write a book with all these adventures in it. I would certainly buy a copy. (not being sarcastic)
  by ACeInTheHole

25Hz wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:Well that I can say, I have heard that it does run very well and pulls good. Its always been HEP problems with that thing for me, that seem to not be repaired by what seems to fix everything else. That and I do recall we had a neverending cab signal/acses issue with it at one point. There really isnt one crappy engine out there though, therea a few of them and they all have their own quirks. Like the 915s whacky propulsion issues it had for a while. Then there are some that just work. Like the 926, and 937. The 912 I haven heard from in a while either. But the 910. Oh boy.... LOL
Please do write a book with all these adventures in it. I would certainly buy a copy. (not being sarcastic)
I have to agree.. Maybe not to the extent that you write a book, but i do find your AEM7 explanations regarding the quirks of various units very interesting Approach.
  by ApproachMedium

Thanks guys, just keeping it real. Being knee deep in malfunctioning AEM-7s on the daily does give you a different perspective.
  by amtrakhogger

ApproachMedium wrote:
beanbag wrote:

I take it you don't particularly care for the 949. LOL.
  by afiggatt

If one of the AEM-7s goes to a RR museum, should one of the HHP-8s end up in a museum? Or does Amtrak send all 15 of their units back to Bombardier?