• AEM7 to Museum?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by aem7ac921

ApproachMedium wrote:Somebody probably mistaked the 939 as the 937 maybe. The 939 is still out and about and I think 936. 937 was taken out fairly early and should have been scrapped already.

Unless someone can report such magic with photos I really doubt this happened. 947 and 949 were also quick to leave the game because they are those high number push pull DCs that had a lot of weird problems.
I thought it was strange too. The thing is though, they saw 939 earlier in the day and they said the 937 was missing a lot of parts.
Also, I saw the photo of 947 and 949 yesterday. Both looked like they received new paint jobs in phase 5, which doesn't make sense either. The pantograph of 947 was up, and they were sitting in the Metro North New Haven shops surrounded by M8s. They weren't sitting in the usual motor storage in New Haven. I also heard that the CTDOT is considering using those two for SLE service to relieve some of the GP40s. I don't know how reliable that information is and I don't want to spread any misinformation. If they are replacing the GP40s with 947 and 949, I think that is not a very smart move in my opinion.
  by 8th Notch

Sorry but this is one of those see it to believe it "rumors." Most of the DC units had fairly fresh paint jobs when they were put up for retirement so possible you saw an old photo...
  by ThirdRail7

aem7ac921 wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:Somebody probably mistaked the 939 as the 937 maybe. The 939 is still out and about and I think 936. 937 was taken out fairly early and should have been scrapped already.

Unless someone can report such magic with photos I really doubt this happened. 947 and 949 were also quick to leave the game because they are those high number push pull DCs that had a lot of weird problems.
I thought it was strange too. The thing is though, they saw 939 earlier in the day and they said the 937 was missing a lot of parts.
Also, I saw the photo of 947 and 949 yesterday. Both looked like they received new paint jobs in phase 5, which doesn't make sense either. The pantograph of 947 was up, and they were sitting in the Metro North New Haven shops surrounded by M8s. They weren't sitting in the usual motor storage in New Haven. I also heard that the CTDOT is considering using those two for SLE service to relieve some of the GP40s. I don't know how reliable that information is and I don't want to spread any misinformation. If they are replacing the GP40s with 947 and 949, I think that is not a very smart move in my opinion.

So, your rumor source states they are using retired electric engines to replace diesel service trains? Interesting. The C-DOT shops are not electrified, but the switching crew could perform a double drill if needed.

I'm still not buying it though. The units aren't showing in NHV and if they intended to use electrics, there are plenty of REMANS that are stored out of service available. Why go with a decommissioned DC?

Your source likely saw one of the remans assigned to the PTC test trains floating around. The 927 was involved in the testing. So was the 940.
  by ApproachMedium

940 and 919 are sandwiching a coach for PTC/ACSES testing in SSYD. No signs of the 937. Sounds like a lot of misinfo there. Amtrak if they were to be leasing anything out, it would be AC remans. Also SLE service just got the NJT P40s so why would they bother with amtrak electrics?
  by amtrakhogger

Afaik, the 937 has been scrapped. There was a popular Amtrak sponsored auction on e-bay with some parts from the 937, such as number boards etc.
  by aem7ac921

amtrakhogger wrote:Afaik, the 937 has been scrapped. There was a popular Amtrak sponsored auction on e-bay with some parts from the 937, such as number boards etc.
937 has not been scrapped. Just because it was parted out doesn't necessarily mean it's been cut up. To my knowledge, only 902, 910, 912, 950, 951, and 953 have been scrapped. This is according to On Track Online, which has been very reliable for me in the past. If I am mistaken, please let me know as I like to keep as up to date as possible. Thanks so much and I apologize for any confusion I may have caused about the 947/949 thing. I'm still not quite sure what happened, and I'm honestly done with trying to figure it out.
  by DutchRailnut

don't you love it when buffs argue with real railroaders ??? you got lot to learn kid.
  by ACeInTheHole

aem7ac921 wrote:
amtrakhogger wrote:Afaik, the 937 has been scrapped. There was a popular Amtrak sponsored auction on e-bay with some parts from the 937, such as number boards etc.
937 has not been scrapped. Just because it was parted out doesn't necessarily mean it's been cut up. To my knowledge, only 902, 910, 912, 950, 951, and 953 have been scrapped. This is according to On Track Online, which has been very reliable for me in the past. If I am mistaken, please let me know as I like to keep as up to date as possible. Thanks so much and I apologize for any confusion I may have caused about the 947/949 thing. I'm still not quite sure what happened, and I'm honestly done with trying to figure it out.
Bring us another source rather than an online website that isnt a railfan resource, the owner of which to get those numbers likely relied on the same Facebook pics and heresay any other buff has and maybe we will believe you. Right now, that attitude, trying to shove an online resource in the face of Amtrak employees as credible evidence, thats how you burn bridges. Dont do it.
  by aem7ac921

DutchRailnut wrote:don't you love it when buffs argue with real railroaders ??? you got lot to learn kid.
I'm not trying to argue with anyone. It's obvious that the Amtrak employees are correct. I was just stating my sources to back up my info. I did not mean to cause any harm. I apologize.
  by aem7ac921

ACeInTheHole wrote:
aem7ac921 wrote:
Bring us another source rather than an online website that isnt a railfan resource, the owner of which to get those numbers likely relied on the same Facebook pics and heresay any other buff has and maybe we will believe you. Right now, that attitude, trying to shove an online resource in the face of Amtrak employees as credible evidence, thats how you burn bridges. Dont do it.
Ok I'm sorry. That site has been reliable in the past for me. I apologize amtrakhogger, I didn't know where you recieved your information. I'm just trying to get the most up to date info. I'm currently working on a plan with my city to preserve 1 or more of these units at a museum nearby. Therefore, it's imperative that I have that info so I can make accurate decisions. Please, if possible, post the numbers of the scrapped units so I can review them. Thanks so much!
  by Tadman

mod note - 24 hour cool off please
  by Jeff Smith

Tadman wrote:mod note - 24 hour cool off please
Thanks Tadman. I'd add this is a museum topic, not a status topic. Let's stay on topic, please. And, reliably sourced, I'm told the unit seen was 917 which ran on train 56. Thus why it was parked at NH.