• AEM7 to Museum?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by fl9m2004

Last aem7 I saw was 917-948 on 99 but that was before turkey day
Haven't seen an hhp8 in a couple of weeks
945 was on 137 2 weeks ago thats all
  by ACeInTheHole

What's wrong with the 910 now? I'm too curious now. Hahahaha.
  by amtrakhogger

afiggatt wrote:If one of the AEM-7s goes to a RR museum, should one of the HHP-8s end up in a museum? Or does Amtrak send all 15 of their units back to Bombardier?
Bombardier is the owner, so what happens to the HHP8's is their call.
  by theozno

did 911 get scraped?
  by DutchRailnut

no but it will probably never run again.
http://members.trainorders.com/geoff_s/ ... .html#AEM7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by ryanov

Kind of a high number of these things dead in fires, eh?
  by jp1822

So Amtrak is ordering 70 new electric locos (right?) and had nearly 55* AEM7's. And then it currently has around 11 HHP8's or so? So the new order of electrics is not really going to "expand" the electric loco fleet that much......

Sounds like Amtrak should keep some of the HHP8's around if it can.....and maybe the best of the best out of the AEM7's?

* Edited number.
  by Matt Johnson

15 HHP-8's. I'm curious to see what happens to them (and to MARC's 6 HHP-8's as well). And I think it was 52 AEM-7's before they started dropping off due to fires.
  by Backshophoss

Amtrak might retain some of "better" HHP-8's for rare pinch hit passenger service,and work train/circus train service, and tow-ins.
Maybe a small pool of AEM-7's,(6-10) to handle the keystone service till all the ACS-64's are debugged and online.
  by ApproachMedium

911 was scrapped, I believe the 933 shell is the only one thats still left. All the others including the shrink wraps were cut up.
  by ACeInTheHole

ApproachMedium wrote:911 was scrapped, I believe the 933 shell is the only one thats still left. All the others including the shrink wraps were cut up.
Shrink wraps? Explain?
  by acelaphillies

beanbag wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:911 was scrapped, I believe the 933 shell is the only one thats still left. All the others including the shrink wraps were cut up.
Shrink wraps? Explain?
I would rather just show you:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3167311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
;)
  by afiggatt

jp1822 wrote:So Amtrak is ordering 70 new electric locos (right?) and had nearly 55* AEM7's. And then it currently has around 11 HHP8's or so? So the new order of electrics is not really going to "expand" the electric loco fleet that much......

Sounds like Amtrak should keep some of the HHP8's around if it can.....and maybe the best of the best out of the AEM7's?
* Edited number.
The Amtrak Inspector General's office criticized Amtrak for ordering 70 ACS-64s as that was more than the current number of trains need. Amtrak had, IIRC, 64 (nominally) working AEM-7s and HHP-8s when the ACS-64 order was placed. So 70 units is an increase in fleet size. But Amtrak is looking at the long view for the ACS-64 order to have a reserve for growth in Regional and Keystone service. Once the production line shuts down, ordering 5 units to fill a gap 10 years from now would be expensive.

As for the HHP-8s, there has been a lot of speculation on their fate, but rumors are that Amtrak may just return them to the lease holder when the lease runs out or when there is a return option in the lease. Some of the AEM-7ACs will probably be stored in reserve for some years.
  by afiggatt

Matt Johnson wrote:15 HHP-8's. I'm curious to see what happens to them (and to MARC's 6 HHP-8's as well). And I think it was 52 AEM-7's before they started dropping off due to fires.
MdTA and MARC have not made any official announcements as far I know, but they are ordering enough diesel locomotives for all 3 lines. Their plans appear to be to dump the electric locomotives entirely despite the hit in performance. In that case, the MARC HHP-8s will likely get mothballed once Amtrak retires theirs.

It was reported several months ago that SEPTA was seeking to buy ACS-64s to replace their AEM-7 units. If SEPTA's order follows the delivery of the 70 units to Amtrak, that would imply late 2016 to 2017 deliveries of ACS-64s to SEPTA. Which means that AEM-7s could be gone entirely from revenue service in the east by 2017 or 2018.