Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#448682  by Mem160_2000

Do you think the D&H, if it were still the D&H today, that the
D&H would still have went from double to single track by now between
Richmondville and Cobleskill? For some reason, I remember when I was
a kid going across the 2 track crossing on the Warnerville Cut Off
Road, that there was guardrails on one of the two trestles to the
west, the one that still has track on it. I remember it was that one
because the guardrails weren't very straight. I do not remeber there
being guardrails on the other bridge (NB Track?) Why would they do
that on one trestle and no the other unless, perhaps, they were
already considering going to single track? I could be wrong
completely of course, and there may have been guardrails on both
tracks there....

Anyhow, just something I thought of when I had nothing better to
think about.

------ Mark
:wink:
 #466518  by Bob Sandusky

the economics for a "D&H" wouldn't be any different than for the CP.

There isn't enough traffic to justify a double track mainline and the cost of maintaining the second line in usable condition is just an unbearable expense if the profits aren't there.

Heck if there was enough traffic the D&H would not have gone into receivership and been sold.

#466529  by RussNelson

The abutments in Potsdam are built for double-tracking on the former Rome, Watertown and Ogdensburg, nee New York Central, nee Conrail, nee CSX. It had been double-tracked through Watertown. But the bridge was only single-track. I speculate that it was MUCH easier to make the abutments a little bit wider in exchange for not disrupting existing traffic.
 #466892  by Bob Sandusky

that when building a railroad it would be more cost effective to make them to maximum size then to try and adapt them later.

#467827  by D&HFan

I cant see them installing another track, the only thing I can see them doing is making the passing siding in Richmondville/Worcester longer. I am always hearing talk from crews about how it isn't long enough.

#489379  by trevor macpherson

I think they should double track from Afton up to the tunnel, and on the other side a little ways. Trains are always underpowered and getting stuck. Holding up traffic. IF they had double track they would'nt have to worry about it so much.
 #552992  by Mem160

If they were to extend the Richmondville Siding, would they go East or West. I would think they could go either way, because from what I understand, the entire Susquehanna Division was once two tracks. I don't know how close the siding comes to the West Richmondville grade crossing, but I would have to think they wouldn't put 2 tracks through that crossing ever again. Also, Isn't it true that New York State taxes railroads for actual trackage?

---- Mark
 #553004  by D&HFan

I think they would extend it south not north due to the crossing. NYS does tax rail miles on railraods, if they did double track further they would end up paying for it to the state.
 #553015  by Mem160

Yeah, well I kinda figured in the conditions the D&H was in before it went to CP, they were probably getting ready to single track Cobleskill to Richmondville anyhow, even if Guilford had never gotten involved.
 #553024  by D&HFan

That was the plan. They had to cut the fat to make the deal work. I am glad they did thought because look at the operations today. There is more traffic, there will be a sharp increase ( at least I believe ) with the Pan Am Southern deal. I am a firm believer that they will extend some passing sidings with the potential increase. All good things come in time. Maybe, just maybe someday we will see Amtrak in the area with the way fuel prices are going.
 #553074  by Mem160

yeah Amtrak would be cool. And, with such increases in operations, who knows what roadnames you will see on the D&H in the future. I will always miss the 2 tracks in W Richmondville and @ the Warnerville Cut Off, though. But I suppose the 1 track now is probably in better shape by itself, than the 2 in the 19070's+80's were, put together. Amazing how time flies, doesn't seem like so long ago when it was 2 tracks..........................
 #587812  by Engineer Spike

My former trainmaster came out of accounting. I asked him about the track reductions made at CP takeover. He said that that was based on traffic levels made at that time.
This topic came up at a time where traffic was very heavy. The whole railroad was a bottle neck. He said that the cuts were too deep. When traffic eventually increased, movements became inefficient. This resulted in higher operating expenses. You notice all of the new sidings on the south end.
The north end has gotten the new Howards siding. They replaced Rockland, and are extending Rouses Pt. They were going to put double iron from Ballston Spa to Saratoga.
If the Pan Am/NS deal goes through, I bet there will be more sidings between Mechanicville and Binghamton. I can't tell you how many hours I have waited at either Afton or Bing. for a train to get over the hill. They used to have Dyes, which ended under the I-88 bridge. I think that Cobleskill would be a good place for a new siding. Kellys would be good too. I think that there will eventually be a siding between Afton and Oneonta too. The old Unadilla siding location would be good. There is over 2 miles without a crossing. I do not like the old siding location in Schenevus, because of crossings, but Maryland would be good.
 #587919  by Mem160

Cobleskill would be ideal..... I doubt that they'd re-double-track the old 13 mile stretch, but there is a good stretch of track between the Warnerville Cut-Off and the Barnerville Rd X-ing where there are no major grade crossings.....

----> Mark
 #591109  by lvrr325

Would imagine the D&H only stayed double track as long as it did because of the expense of converting from rule 251 double track (each signalled one way) to rule 261 on one track (signalled both ways). It's mostly a labor expense, but a big up front cost, as opposed to leaving it and doing minimal maintenance.

The LV was able to single track in the 60s but they had the PRR behind them (80% owner) and actually move more trains over the same trackage. (In some places they pulled just enough second track to move signals as needed and left the rest, to get it done, too). The D&H never had big-money ownership until CP Rail.