Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#153320  by Mark Schweber

How the heck does NJT get away treating their riders so poorly for a sporting event?! This is a real scandal that they could get away with something like this:
To come up with all those extra passenger cars, NJ Transit decided to cancel 13 trains on the Montclair-Boonton Direct line between 10 a.m. and 4:02 p.m. on weekdays.

The agency is advising customers who normally use those trains to take regular Montclair-Boonton trains to Newark Broad Street station and then switch to Midtown Direct into Manhattan.

In most cases, the transfer time at Newark Broad Street will be six to 12 minutes, NJ Transit spokesman Dan Stessel said. But people on the train that leaves Montclair State University station at 11:52 a.m. on weekdays will run into a 31-minute delay when switching trains, he said.

Transit officials said they picked the off-peak Montclair-Boonton trains because they have the lowest ridership of the four lines going to Manhattan.

"This is a shabby way for NJ Transit to treat its regular passengers," said Joe Grossman, a rider on the Montclair-Boonton line. "Since there is probably very little parking at the golf course, people who want to go there will probably have to take the train anyway. Let them have a longer trip and leave the Montclair schedule intact. Let's give working people a break for a change."
http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index.ssf?/
base/news-2/1122871957302770.xml&coll=1

Absolutely the people going to the PGA from Manhattan are the ones who should have to change in Newark. Run any extra trains you want out of Hoboken. I was furious that they cancelled trains for the Republican convention but an argument could be made there that security concerns have changed, making extra precautions required. But this is worse. Its a dumb sporting event. Who cares how people get to it. If the PGA doesn't like it let them go somewhere else. It is not like anyone other than those in Springfield who rent out parking spaces are going to be making any money off this.

#153344  by JLo

Well, if the commuters complain loud enough, NJT will have to respond. For example, the 31-minute wait is ridiculous. Offer a few shuttle vans to take them in lieu of such a wait.

#153360  by SCB2525

Couldn't they just borrow cars from another agency?

#153372  by Ken W2KB

SCB2525 wrote:Couldn't they just borrow cars from another agency?
Possible, or use NJT buses.

#153394  by pgengler

SCB2525 wrote:Couldn't they just borrow cars from another agency?
I imagine they could have, if they'd thought about it more than a week in advance. It's a little short notice now, and whose cars would they get? I imagine Amtrak would hang onto theirs, since they're still running some Metroliner service and would want the extra cars around, and Septa uses their P/P cars for rush hour service; I don't know if MARC's cars or Metro North's east-of-Hudson shoreliners would be compatible with the NJT equipment and any clearances, etc. (and they would likely have needed to be tested beforehand).

#153450  by njtmnrrbuff

I guess next week will be a great one to railfan the Morristown Line east of Summit. However, I would stay away from Summit as there will be so much security.

#153452  by nick11a

Wow. This isn't gonna settle well with a lot of people.

And btw, the schedule they have up is pretty fancy. Lots of Summit Expresses. Nice for MnE people, but sucks for Montclairians and the some of the Bonntans.

#153525  by Olton Hall

Is it a car shortage or a crew shortage/refusal to pay OT that is leading to this change? I thought there are few trains set sitting around between the commuter rush times. Let's see, they have ALP's running up and down the NEC during the day, those could be sent on the M&E and the Arrows sitting in sunnyside could be used on the NEC.

#153527  by Sirsonic

Much political pressure has been brought to bear upon NJT to cater greatly to the PGA. As such, Montclair passengers will have to endure a transfer at Newark for (shudder) a WHOLE WEEK!!!!! How dare they!!! Let the thousands taking the train to Summit change at Newark. The tens of people going to/from Montclair are certainly a better use for a 6 or 8 car train...

#153583  by Jtgshu

Is this the turning point when the people of NJ, especially the commuters, and maybe the politicans, (and maybe management as well - that'd be nice) that NJT is no longer a "commuter railroad" but the state passenger railroad?????

No longer does NJT solely operate only commuter trains (except on the PVL) and cater only to commuters!!!!!

Sirsonic made a good point - serve thousands properly, or inconvenience dozens? Pretty much a no brainer if you ask me.......

The railroad does not revolve as much around commuters any more - I know that statement might upset some long time commuters, but believe it or not, trains run on lots of lines on the weekends, and at other times between the rush hours and "gasp" lots of them are VERY crowded - God knows it look NJT how many years to realize they needed more weekend trains on the NEC??? "1 12 car set an hour will be FINE - its a SUNDAY - its not like its a weekday with commuters" HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA Weekend NEC trains are much more crowded than many weekday rush trains.

This is not to say that NJT couldn't do something to reduce the wait, or run that particular train with the long wait or something to reduce the inconvience for the Monclair/Boonton passengers, however.

#153600  by nick11a

Jtgshu and Sirsonic, I have never seen so much sarcasim (gasp) from railroaders. You all should be ashamed of yourselves. :wink: Haha.

But yes, excellent points.

And question to you Sirsonic (if anyone in here would know, it porbably be you).

With all of this extra MidTOWN Direct expresses on the weekend, are they only gonna use the train sets out of Dover? Just curious if the two Gladstone MidTOWN Direct trains may get a little deadhead action to New York for the weekend (and back of course before Monday).

#153631  by sixty-six

seeing SEPTAs p/p cars on the NEC or GASP! even the NJCL would attract me like a fly on food. just a random comment i thought id throw in...

but what i dont get is, will NJT be getting any kickbacks from catering to the PGA?

#153634  by thebigc

I was told that the PGA will be footing the bill for all this extra service. There's even an employee TT out for that week. Took a quick look at it and saw those 6800 series trains which are expresses NYP-Dover and saw lots of early AM equipment extras from Dover to NYP.

So early that it'll be too dark for photos. Sorry Nick!

#153638  by Idiot Railfan

Not only do Montclair-Boonton Line passengers have to give up their trains to the PGA, we are expected to provide five chickens and a cow in tribute

#153640  by F3A

Good heavens Lovey! The PGA taking our commuter cars? Why they must be Yale men!