Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#153646  by nick11a

thebigc wrote:I was told that the PGA will be footing the bill for all this extra service. There's even an employee TT out for that week. Took a quick look at it and saw those 6800 series trains which are expresses NYP-Dover and saw lots of early AM equipment extras from Dover to NYP.

So early that it'll be too dark for photos. Sorry Nick!
Well, if the Gladstone MidTOWNs are deadheaded to NYP, it'll still be cool. Just wish I could get shots of it. :-D

#153653  by Mark Schweber

Jtgshu wrote:Is this the turning point when the people of NJ, especially the commuters, and maybe the politicans, (and maybe management as well - that'd be nice) that NJT is no longer a "commuter railroad" but the state passenger railroad?????

No longer does NJT solely operate only commuter trains (except on the PVL) and cater only to commuters!!!!!

Sirsonic made a good point - serve thousands properly, or inconvenience dozens? Pretty much a no brainer if you ask me.......

The railroad does not revolve as much around commuters any more - I know that statement might upset some long time commuters, but believe it or not, trains run on lots of lines on the weekends, and at other times between the rush hours and "gasp" lots of them are VERY crowded - God knows it look NJT how many years to realize they needed more weekend trains on the NEC??? "1 12 car set an hour will be FINE - its a SUNDAY - its not like its a weekday with commuters" HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA Weekend NEC trains are much more crowded than many weekday rush trains.

This is not to say that NJT couldn't do something to reduce the wait, or run that particular train with the long wait or something to reduce the inconvience for the Monclair/Boonton passengers, however.
I don't disagree with you. Weekend and off peak service is inadequate and the trains are often more crowded then than during rush hour. Definitely these riders should be taken better care of.

However, this is irrelevant to the issue at hand. The issue is that regular riders, be they rush hour commuters who use the train every day, or off peak and weekend riders who may not use the train every day but use it whenever they do need to travel to a place where the train goes, should be the priority. Those are the people who NJT should be loyal to, even if they are smaller in number. They should not inconvenience them at the drop of the hat to give rich Manhattanites traveling to an elitiest event an easier trip. Maybe NJT should serve them caviar and champagne on the way and tell them to wave to the people sweating on the platform at Newark waiting for their connection (which most likley will be delayed due to being held to give the PGA's express train a nice clear ride).

#153657  by pgengler

Mark Schweber wrote: However, this is irrelevant to the issue at hand. The issue is that regular riders, be they rush hour commuters who use the train every day, or off peak and weekend riders who may not use the train every day but use it whenever they do need to travel to a place where the train goes, should be the priority. Those are the people who NJT should be loyal to, even if they are smaller in number. They should not inconvenience them at the drop of the hat to give rich Manhattanites traveling to an elitiest event an easier trip. Maybe NJT should serve them caviar and champagne on the way and tell them to wave to the people sweating on the platform at Newark waiting for their connection (which most likley will be delayed due to being held to give the PGA's express train a nice clear ride).
I imagine that NJT looked at it and decided that regular riders are going to keep riding the train even after a week-long disturbance like this (after all, how many people are going to quit riding the train to/from work forever because of a one-week disruption?) and figured it was worth it to appeal more to the masses headed to the PGA.

Giving people a one-seat ride, as has been mentioned in this forum several times, goes a long way in making a train ride seem like a good idea for people who aren't regular riders. With the PGA, I bet NJT figures the most revenue comes from attracting more people to the PGA, since they'd probably get more riders there than they would lose on the Montclair-Boonton for that week.

I don't think it's fair, but it's all economics, which is the only thing companies see. If being nice to customers helps the bottom line, that's what they'll do. If they can make more money by treating some poorly, and aren't going to lose much if any future revenue, they'll do that.

#153664  by Butlershops

With the hassle that the town of Montclair gave the railroad about building the Montclair connection I see no need to shed tears for temporarily inconvenienced riders on that branch.

And FWIW, my 6th sense tells me that the decision to cater to the PGA crowd was neither suggested nor decided by NJT.

#153666  by Lackawanna484

Butlershops wrote:With the hassle that the town of Montclair gave the railroad about building the Montclair connection I see no need to shed tears for temporarily inconvenienced riders on that branch.

And FWIW, my 6th sense tells me that the decision to cater to the PGA crowd was neither suggested nor decided by NJT.

Your sixth sense is on the mark.

The Baltusrol committee is well connected, and extremely aware of the impact this tournament has on the sterling reputation of the Club. Over the past several years, the NJ state leadership has been very helpful at every opportunity

The last time around, they "borrowed" four miles of unopened I-78 as their overflow parking lot, with NJ State Police overseeing the initiative.

#153670  by JLo

With the hassle that the town of Montclair gave the railroad about building the Montclair connection I see no need to shed tears for temporarily inconvenienced riders on that branch.
Of course, that has nothing to do with the WORMS, who merely want better service and to not be held hostage by Montclair's political influence over NJT.

As a person that will be attending the PGA event, I am happy that NJT has been responsive to me. It shows that someone realizes mass transit is a benefit to the state's economy. However, I'm disappointed that NJT did not lessen the sting to MB riders, which seems to me requires only a little extra effort using bustitution or, given the smaller ridership at non-peak hours, vanstitution.

#153673  by Idiot Railfan

Butlershops wrote:With the hassle that the town of Montclair gave the railroad about building the Montclair connection I see no need to shed tears for temporarily inconvenienced riders on that branch.
But what about me and my brethren, the long-suffering WORMS?

Oh, what we must endure.......

#153694  by pdman

I've also felt the same way when a town closes off streets for marathons. In State College, PA the highway and major streets would be closed off for the entire event. Through cars and trucks would be stopped for up to two hours while people wrecked their knees and built up natural chemicals that made running even more addictive in their bodies.

#153711  by njt4172

Also heard from Sirsonic that additional trains, probably Arrow Mu's will leave from Hoboken and run express to Summit.........

Steve

#153712  by Idiot Railfan

What will the fare policy be on these trains? As crowded as NJT is anticipating them to be, it sounds like it will be difficult to get through to collect tickets, although with all these one-time riders, it sounds like the uncollected tickets will just end up going through the washer in the pockets of loud pants.

#153790  by Jtgshu

If im not mistaken, there is a ticket which is also admission to the events.....so if they go uncollected, they are useless anyway.

There was a tariff bulletin out last week, but I didn't pay much attention to it - ill look for it the next time i work...

#153853  by ryanov

Mark:

What are you doing going to/from work between 10:00a and 4:00p anyway?

#153889  by Mark Schweber

ryanov wrote:Mark:

What are you doing going to/from work between 10:00a and 4:00p anyway?
I am upset from a theoretical perspective. It does not affect me personally. My trains are not being cancelled.

But its like eminant domain. If they can take someone elses house they can take mine. NJT should be loyal to its regular customes. By being allowed to be disloyal now everyone is at risk in the future.

#153928  by Butlershops

Mark Schweber wrote:... By being allowed to be disloyal now everyone is at risk in the future.
NJT has always been allowed to be "disloyal." Remember Arlington? Remember Harmon Cove? The public is not guaranteed service regardless of what happens next week.

It seems to me that NJ taxpayers will be getting the most transportation for the buck with this PGA event. The regular commuters will keep their train service during the rush hours, and the mid-day riders can transfer at Newark just like the Gladstone passengers do at Summit. This is better than turning the clock back 4 years, when there was only rush-hour service to/from Hoboken on the Montclair Branch.

As Sirsonic said, it would be silly to use six-to-eight car trains to move 100 people at a time when the same trains can be packed in PGA service. I'll take it a step further to say that it would be irresponsible to not do what NJT is doing. Why run empty trains to/from and empty parking garage at MSU when routes 22, 24, 124, 78, and every other road in western Essex County is jammed with traffic?

And besides, it is vacation season. Ridership is usually light on these lines this time of year.

#153932  by Mark Schweber

Butlershops wrote:
Mark Schweber wrote:... By being allowed to be disloyal now everyone is at risk in the future.
NJT has always been allowed to be "disloyal." Remember Arlington? Remember Harmon Cove? The public is not guaranteed service regardless of what happens next week.

It seems to me that NJ taxpayers will be getting the most transportation for the buck with this PGA event. The regular commuters will keep their train service during the rush hours, and the mid-day riders can transfer at Newark just like the Gladstone passengers do at Summit. This is better than turning the clock back 4 years, when there was only rush-hour service to/from Hoboken on the Montclair Branch.

As Sirsonic said, it would be silly to use six-to-eight car trains to move 100 people at a time when the same trains can be packed in PGA service. I'll take it a step further to say that it would be irresponsible to not do what NJT is doing. Why run empty trains to/from and empty parking garage at MSU when routes 22, 24, 124, 78, and every other road in western Essex County is jammed with traffic?

And besides, it is vacation season. Ridership is usually light on these lines this time of year.
Actually your post raises another issue. Why are they not using MSU as a shuttle location. There is ample parking available for those who want to drive and they can keep the rail schedule as is.