Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#155529  by rvrrhs

JLo wrote:
No offense, but I would say he's an elitist. If he wasn't, he would have taken a membership at Suburban in Union or Shackamaxon in Scotch Plains, or stuck with municipal/county courses.
I would take offense except that your logic is downright silly. I know the man and am confident that he is the farthest from elitist you can get. And since when does your profession make you an elitist? Under your logic, if you are a Kennedy but work as a public defender, you are not an elitist. Also, taking your logic even further, an elitist would NEVER join any club that excludes anyone. Thus, he would have joined no club.
This could turn ugly, JLo. :( Let's just drop this before we reach verbal fisticuffs or something.

Note: Baltusrol once rejected Richard Nixon for membership. Not sure which way that moves this discussion. ;)

#155531  by njt4172

OK, so since everyone chooses to go off the topic of trains I will ask my question AGAIN!!!!
NJT added 37 extra trains this week between NY-Penn/Hoboken and Summit...Now, of those 37 does anyone know how many are MU or diesel push pulls???

Take 2...! This is a RAILROAD forum guys!! This is not a political conversation on lawyers, presidents and politicians who are classified as elitists and who aren't...!!

Damn, I should have been a moderator!!

Irish, can i take over the reigns??? :-D

Thanks,
Steve

#155542  by JLo

This could turn ugly, JLo. Let's just drop this before we reach verbal fisticuffs or something.
No problem. You're entitled to your opinion, even if its wrong. :wink:

To ease NJT's concern, I'll turn to more topical information. I've seen definite evidence of increased traffic on 78 and local streets. I don't know if NJT's train service is really making a difference.

#155544  by Ken W2KB

My boss decided to drive and park in Newark and take the train to Summit to watch the event, rather than attempt to drive directly.

#155552  by JLo

My boss decided to drive and park in Newark and take the train to Summit to watch the event, rather than attempt to drive directly.
That's my plan for Friday. Please let us know how it went for him.

#155558  by Lackawanna484

One of my coworkers went today.

Drove to Summit, parked without difficulty, and took the bus directly to the club. NJT operated buses on a "load and go" basis, traffic was well coordinated. Took all of about ten minutes from the time he got off NJ 24 at the Broad Street exit until he was on the bus.

The return was just as simple

Nice job, NJT.

#155568  by nick11a

njt4172 wrote:OK, so since everyone chooses to go off the topic of trains I will ask my question AGAIN!!!!
NJT added 37 extra trains this week between NY-Penn/Hoboken and Summit...Now, of those 37 does anyone know how many are MU or diesel push pulls???

Take 2...! This is a RAILROAD forum guys!! This is not a political conversation on lawyers, presidents and politicians who are classified as elitists and who aren't...!!

Damn, I should have been a moderator!!

Irish, can i take over the reigns??? :-D

Thanks,
Steve
Haven't seen anything personally. But, the extra trains are expresses from and to New York. So thus, they are all electrical push-pulls- some of which came from the Montclairians MidTOWN Direct service.

#155733  by Ken W2KB

JLo wrote:
That's my plan for Friday. Please let us know how it went for him.
Went smoothly and fast, as advertised by NJT.

#155802  by JLo

Thanks, Ken. Should be interesting.

#155963  by nick11a

Heads up, the Bernardsville Local has a 6 car ALP44 set. Really rare. I couldn't get a shot today, but they had a solid NJT Comet V set with 4400. Would have made a great shot. Oh well......

#155967  by njtmnrrbuff

When I returned home from the city , the 2:35 PGA consisted of a 44, a II, and the rest were Vs. Solid sets of Vs look good. I wish I could see that more, if possible.

#156003  by jmp883

In my opinion I have to say that NJT is totally wrong for accomodating this sporting event the way they did.

It's beyond me how an agency charged with serving the public can alter their operations the way they did to cater for a select few while inconveniencing significant numbers of daily riders. I understand that it will ease vehicular traffic in the area and that is fine. Being a police dispatcher and volunteer firefighter I have no problem with that. I just wonder if the powers that be thoroughly thought out all the options that may have been available.

I don't know, maybe fare hikes should be put on a public referendum. That way NJT would be more accountable for their actions....upset your regular patrons and they're not going to vote for your fare increases, whether those fare increases are necessary or not.

#156040  by Butlershops

FWIW, 35,000 people doesn't seem like a "select few." The normal 40 people on a mid-day Montclair train does.
jmp883 wrote:In my opinion I have to say that NJT is totally wrong for accomodating this sporting event the way they did.

It's beyond me how an agency charged with serving the public can alter their operations the way they did to cater for a select few while inconveniencing significant numbers of daily riders. ...

#156126  by Lackawanna484

The State made it very clear that it will support the PGA as much as it can. I wouldn't be surprised if the cars assigned to the PGA express service maybe even got a washing, unusual as that sounds.

The number of planes flying into Morristown Airport is way up today, prob 2x the usual. I saw several state police cars on NJ 24 yesterday, unusual to see more than one. My coworker mentioned he saw several different agencies of police in the area of the PGA.

#156157  by Silverliner II

Jtgshu wrote:YEA!! George Carlin, the same George Carlin who did the 7 dirty words, and all that other terrific comedy was the Conductor on "Shining Time Station" - he was the 2nd though - Ringo Starr was the first one.

First time I saw him on it, i definately did a double take!
I did a triple-take! I love his comedy...and have all of his CD's, LOL!!

I wonder if maybe NJT should get him to redo all the station announcements for the CIIm/CIV/CV fleets....LOL!!! I can see it now....

"Next stop's Short Hills, you (expletive deleted)....now get your stuff and get off my train..." :-D