Railroad Forums 

• NEC Equipment Moves and Test Trains

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#33176  by F40

First, last week, around 12PM, I saw an F40 chugging along with an A3 car sandwiched between either a GP40 or another F40. This was heading west of Metropark.

Second, I'm not sure if this was a Waterfront train but this train had an ALP44 coupled to an ALP46 and was pushing an 8 car set on the Waterfront track towards NWK (on the red bridge). The engineer was present in the cab.

Can someone explain the oddities?

#33181  by DutchRailnut

The engineer was present in the cab.
I sure hope so or it would be a runaway train :) :)

#33189  by F40

Another note:

I've seen a string of Metro-North Comet Coaches next to the PATH building along with several lo-door Comet I's. They've been there for some time. What does NJT plan to do with them?

Also, does anyone know how Comet I #1758 is doing? I rode this on my first trip to Port Jervis on 6-09-01 and I've not seen it lately. Thank you if anyone has the update.

#33196  by DutchRailnut

The Comet 1's were sold I believe last year to M&E.
the MNCR cars do not belong to NJT so NJT can not do anything with them.
They are gone go Harmon NY for evaluation.

#33403  by nick11a

Also, they have two Comet IIA cabs (the ones with the orange flippable seats there). I think they are the only two on property. The Comet IIB and IIS cabs though are still in service I believe.

#33546  by nick11a

And about all of the other stuff, they are equipment moves. You see them time to time. I once saw a GP pulling an ALP and 6 car MU set on the NEC. And yes, they are cool sites if you are lucky enough to catch them. And the train you saw heading down the waterfront connection must have been an equipment move or deadhead move as well. Currently, the waterfront connection is electrified but not for passenger service. Only diesel trains have used it and use it in revenue service. After all, all trains using the connection are either NJCL Bay Head trains/shore trains (which would need to be diesel due to not having electrical power below Long Branch), Monmouth Park Pony Express trains (which need to be diesel due to the fact that the spur to MP is not electrified) or RVL trains which need to be diesel and that is it. The NEC used to have the diesel express between Hoboken and Trenton prior to the waterfront connection electrification a few years back. If this train was still in existence today, it could and probably would be an ALP hauled train. But in short, the connection's purpose right now is for getting ALP hauled equipment around more easily under their own power through the connection.

#33869  by njt5140

nick11a wrote:The NEC used to have the diesel express between Hoboken and Trenton prior to the waterfront connection electrification a few years back. If this train was still in existence today, it could and probably would be an ALP hauled train. But in short, the connection's purpose right now is for getting ALP hauled equipment around more easily under their own power through the connection.
The last schedule I saw it on was October 1997, 2807 which expressed from NWK to Metropark. Before the connection was electrified 5802/5803 were dieselized trains too. Now they run with 6 car Arrow sets. But I believe 5800 terminated in the MMC, then later deadheaded to Hoboken then turned to 2807. With 5802 and 5803 there were two different crews running. Since Morrisville opened it's now one job. Currently the only electric hauled trains that run the connection are the XH deadheads that lay overnight in Hoboken.

#33877  by nick11a

njt5140 wrote:
nick11a wrote:The NEC used to have the diesel express between Hoboken and Trenton prior to the waterfront connection electrification a few years back. If this train was still in existence today, it could and probably would be an ALP hauled train. But in short, the connection's purpose right now is for getting ALP hauled equipment around more easily under their own power through the connection.
The last schedule I saw it on was October 1997, 2807 which expressed from NWK to Metropark. Before the connection was electrified 5802/5803 were dieselized trains too. Now they run with 6 car Arrow sets. But I believe 5800 terminated in the MMC, then later deadheaded to Hoboken then turned to 2807. With 5802 and 5803 there were two different crews running. Since Morrisville opened it's now one job. Currently the only electric hauled trains that run the connection are the XH deadheads that lay overnight in Hoboken.
Yep, that's right. 5802 and 03 still exist today but aren't diesel anymore and don't go to Hoboken. These trains are unique on the NEC in that ANY type of train can run on it. ALP push-pull, A3 or diesel push-pull if need be. But, they are consistently MU trains BUT it is possible in the event of an equipment failure or something they could use a diesel for these trains but this would be extremely rare. And these trains are still referred to from time to time as diesel expresses.

#34384  by F40

I saw more equipment parked next to the MNR Comet Cars near Harrison and I'm just curious. Can an A3 be coupled to any Comet car? or did the trains park too close together for me to notice?

Also in the midst of a string of Comets, there seemed to be an ALP44 stuck in the middle of it, unless if the trains were parked too close together for me to notice. Can this happen too? Some weird things...

#34398  by Irish Chieftain

Can an A3 be coupled to any Comet car?
IIRC, they need a "compromise coupler" for that. The genii who built the Arrows put non-standard couplers on them.

#34443  by nick11a

F40 wrote:Also in the midst of a string of Comets, there seemed to be an ALP44 stuck in the middle of it, unless if the trains were parked too close together for me to notice. Can this happen too? Some weird things...
This can happen for equipment moves. As for a train actually operating in revenue service with an extra ALP plopped in the middle of the set, I have not seen or heard of this but suppose it is possible that something like that may have or may occur.
 #114974  by F40

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a GP40 slowly hauling a 44 IIRC just east of Metropark in a late afternoon. Any details of this move?

#114991  by Lackawanna484

There's usually an NJT GP40 variant and a '44 serving as protect engine in the Meadows during the morning and evening rush hour. Usually on the NJT track near Hudson tower.

#115061  by nick11a

Yes, true, but this is a little different.

I've seen a handful of times these equipment moves. They occur fairly fequently (like once every week or so or more or less.)

Usually, when I see it, it has a GP40 (usually a 4200 from the ACL) leading with a 44 behind it and perhaps some Arrows. You can also see the ACL engines travelling solo too at times. It all depends on what needs to go where when and for whatever reason.

#115337  by pgengler

Lackawanna484 wrote:There's usually an NJT GP40 variant and a '44 serving as protect engine in the Meadows during the morning and evening rush hour. Usually on the NJT track near Hudson tower.
This seems like the right place to ask ... what does it mean for something be serving as "protect engine?" I've seen this term a few times, but I haven't been able to find out what it means.