Railroad Forums 

• NEC Equipment Moves and Test Trains

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1358526  by DutchRailnut

not under its own power, without testing how would (for example) they know of AC traction does not cause harmonics in MN signal system ??
each and every traction system puts out different harmonics and they can create false positives.

Clearance testing is one thing, technical testing a complete separate subject.
 #1358641  by ApproachMedium

Then they would have to test it there to find out. I cant imagine it causing too much of an issue, MN cab signals are using the same freqencies and carriers as amtrak and other railroads in the area it already runs on. As far as track circuits I do not know what is different for MN in that case and where it might cause a problem but I guess they would have to test for that then. But with the paperwork, they could be towed by ACS or ALP46 across MN territory to test high speed over amtrak north of new haven.
 #1358654  by DutchRailnut

even the ALP46 has restrictions only certain units are approved, think second series is a no go on MN.

the P32acdm has software restrictions guarding those frequencies at risk, the so called ripple violation shuts propulsion down, when arcing of shoes cause inverters to get near certain signal frequencies.
 #1358670  by ApproachMedium

DutchRailnut wrote:even the ALP46 has restrictions only certain units are approved, think second series is a no go on MN.

the P32acdm has software restrictions guarding those frequencies at risk, the so called ripple violation shuts propulsion down, when arcing of shoes cause inverters to get near certain signal frequencies.
The Amtrak p32ACDM has the same "Ripple effect penalty/violation" that knocks out the propulsion for a bit. I have had it happen only once to me in penn station. Its not good when you are gapped because you may have to start the diesel up to get out.
 #1358698  by DutchRailnut

that's what those 12 cylinders are for, plus you could use jog function .
 #1358699  by BigDell

At just before 2 PM this afternoon GP40-2 #4302 pulled some Multi-level and Arrow MU cars with a ALP46 in between the cars as it went by Linden headed east from Morrisville to MMC.
Saw a similar trainset earlier in the month, midday. Must be a fairly common move. Wished I could have taken a video.
 #1358778  by NJRAILNUT

BigDell wrote:
At just before 2 PM this afternoon GP40-2 #4302 pulled some Multi-level and Arrow MU cars with a ALP46 in between the cars as it went by Linden headed east from Morrisville to MMC.
Saw a similar trainset earlier in the month, midday. Must be a fairly common move. Wished I could have taken a video.
Just yesterday (11/24) I witnessed an unknown GP-40 pulling an ALP-46 and two Arrow MU cars over the trestle that spans Rt. 46/23 in Wayne around 1PM (sorry I am unsure which line this is-- my best guess is the Montclair/Boonton line).
 #1358803  by ApproachMedium

DutchRailnut wrote:that's what those 12 cylinders are for, plus you could use jog function .
I dont think anyone at amtrak including myself has a clue how that jog function works.
 #1358815  by DutchRailnut

It only works when in no mode and brakes fully charged, put reverser in direction of travel, release brakes , both train and indep. and push jog button.
it powers inverter of no 1 traction motor at about 5 mph to get out of gap and onto third rail.
it is meant to move engine inside shops but works great for gaps and such .
 #1358820  by ApproachMedium

DutchRailnut wrote:It only works when in no mode and brakes fully charged, put reverser in direction of travel, release brakes , both train and indep. and push jog button.
it powers inverter of no 1 traction motor at about 5 mph to get out of gap and onto third rail.
it is meant to move engine inside shops but works great for gaps and such .
Good to know. Will have to try it on next crap out lol. I somehow doubt it will move train 49/48 though. Those things can barely move that train on 3rd rail.
 #1358824  by DutchRailnut

it does pretty good on level track,
if not just coast ;-) in whatever way track is going,with permission of course.
 #1358827  by ApproachMedium

DutchRailnut wrote:it does pretty good on level track,
if not just coast ;-) in whatever way track is going,with permission of course.
LOL penn station level track... everything rolls into the tunnels! There is a special instruction that you cannot leave locomotives unattended on any of the main station tracks. If the air bleeds off it takes 4 hours for it to settle in the tunnels.
 #1361073  by BigDell

Today a little before noon my son and I were riding NJT 3839 out of NYC. As we approached the PATH yard East of Newark Station we were passed by a NS GP (I'm assuming it was a GP38 but couldn't get a great look) pulling three private varnish and what looked like an old green PC boxcar. Guessing they were on the way to MMC?

Anyone else see this one?