• NEC Equipment Moves and Test Trains

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by sixty-six

transit383 wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:transit383, yes, those AC sets are washed up there, actually twice!!!! They head east through the car wash, then turn on the west side of it, and then go back through it the other way.
Is twice enough for those sets? Have you ever seen them in action on the ACL or after they've first come up from AC? Filthy is an understatement! They are almost to the point where you can't read the road numbers. And just forget about reading the exterior destination screens...

Should NJT find a few extra bucks in their budget, a train wash in Atlantic City wouldn't be an awful idea!
There isnt much room to put a train wash in at AC.

by transit383

jimzim66 wrote:There isnt much room to put a train wash in at AC.
Sure there is. Take a look at this aerial view of the ROW on the west side of the drawbridge. Plenty of room to put a train wash in there.

I recall reading that in the early 80's, when NJT was operating AC service with the RDCs there was a small servicing facility in Atlantic City. In fact, I remember seeing a photo of an RDC in NJT paint in the facility. Does anyone know where this was located?

by Wanderer

Jtgshu wrote:transit383, yes, those AC sets are washed up there, actually twice!!!! They head east through the car wash, then turn on the west side of it, and then go back through it the other way.
Would have been X482, I think...
  by nick11a

thebigc wrote:
F40 wrote:Today at around 3:20pm, I spotted a train with a GP40 pushing the consist traveling eastbound at LINCOLN. I couldn't tell if it was a revenue train on the NEC or a non-revenue move. From the ACL perhaps?

Thanks.
That's nice. I figured I'd reply to push my total post count up a bit. When you get over 5000 posts, people seem to believe everything you say for some reason...

Again, I don't mean you, Nick.
When I speak, people listen. They may not believe me, but they listen. :-)

Actually moves like those happen a couple of times a week. Usually on a weekend sometime or between rush hours.
  by 2 timer

I was running that train. We were on the extra job. Sign up at the club, wash, X to philly, run a round trip to AC, then X back to the club.
  by TREnecNYP

Ok so who was the clown going 80+ on the local track past levittown with 2x geeps and a load of comets in tow at around 6:30 pm today April 6? :p

- A
  by BadAddetude

Pretty regular from what I understand. Equipment heading to MMC for inspection/maintenance/service. Or so I'm told...
  by sixty-six

TREnecNYP wrote:Ok so who was the clown going 80+ on the local track past levittown with 2x geeps and a load of comets in tow at around 6:30 pm today April 6? :p

- A
Who cares.
  by andegold

I'd be more interested in what I saw last night (April 5 traveling west on 3881) somewhere around Rahway there was an Amtrak Regional heading East. Except that coupled up behind it was a set of NJT MultiLevels with an Alp46 bringing up the rear. There may have also been some Arrows being dragged along by a Geep or two either in that same consist or close ahead of or behind it. Or I could be hallucinating all of it from lack of sleep.
  by TREnecNYP

andegold wrote:I'd be more interested in what I saw last night (April 5 traveling west on 3881) somewhere around Rahway there was an Amtrak Regional heading East. Except that coupled up behind it was a set of NJT MultiLevels with an Alp46 bringing up the rear. There may have also been some Arrows being dragged along by a Geep or two either in that same consist or close ahead of or behind it. Or I could be hallucinating all of it from lack of sleep.

Remember, they did have to shuffle equipment for the shore line flooding issue.

I ask who the engineer was because I was way too close to the tracks and thought at first it was a slow moving amtk work train, I went to video it, wasn't fast enough, got a face full of dust and debris, whole station was swept by a massive cloud of this same dust and grit. Was quite an experience. Last time it was a regional going 112 or so on the local track, that was fine, I guess the square nose of the geep pushed a lot more air out to the side. Close enough to get a blast of air, but not unsafe. 3 feet back from yellow line.

- A
  by NorEasterNick

I saw something very interesting yesterday that no one noted; around 5pm, our train was delayed at POMO for a few minutes, I take a look out the window and 4139 crept on by towing another Geep, a CSX Geep and the track geometry car.
  by Grump

TREnecNYP wrote:
I ask who the engineer was because I was way too close to the tracks and thought at first it was a slow moving amtk work train, I went to video it, wasn't fast enough, got a face full of dust and debris, whole station was swept by a massive cloud of this same dust and grit. Was quite an experience. Last time it was a regional going 112 or so on the local track, that was fine, I guess the square nose of the geep pushed a lot more air out to the side. Close enough to get a blast of air, but not unsafe. 3 feet back from yellow line.

- A
  by nick11a

These moves happen all of the times with these conditions. This is not worth its own thread as it is not newsworthy and has been discussed countless times before.
  by peggy

TRE: Naturally you were bombarded by dirt, dust etc., because Pennsylvania is a pig pen.

The engineer of the move should be disciplined for wasting time...imagine running 80 when 100 mph is authorized.