Railroad Forums 

• The Main/Bergen/Port Jervis Line Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1206822  by morris&essex4ever

1. There used to be plans as this page shows. These lines will likely stay diesel for the rest of our lifetimes, especially with the 45's.

2. A lot (probably a few billion $$$)
 #1206844  by lirr42

Secaucus is not a terminal so train idling is not really a problem, extending electrification to SEC would be handy because it would allow the 45's to always be eletric in Hoboken, as supposed to almost always in diesel mode as they are now, since changing modes within the terminal is now discouraged.

But of the alleged Bergen Loop ever gets built the wires would have to get extended anyways to allow the 45's to change modes on the Lower Level.
 #1206995  by Hawaiitiki

NJT should have electified through Secaucus to the Meadowlands when they built that branch. This line needs the Rapid-Transit like acceleration electrification gives during games and the line is still set to eventually get regular service. But I agree with others here, being able to get the 45's to Secaucus under electric power would be a great first step and a natural place to switch to diesel. Also don't forget, NJT STILL has plans in the makings on developing the air rights over Hoboken yard which would eventually restrict most diesel locomotion.
 #1345741  by EuroStar

There are some boxed cars parked at the siding west of Garfield station. I have never seen cars there before (and the siding looks in pretty bad shape itself). Does someone know what this is all about? A new customer or temporary storage? I do not know of any customer in the area or the close vicinity, but of course my knowledge is not necessarily current on everything.
 #1346402  by nick11a

Yeah, it's hard to say what is eactly happening on that Dundee Spur. But yes, probably for the NYGL.
 #1355037  by EuroStar

The following was found in the newly released capital plan of the MTA: "Begin environmental and design work for West of Hudson Midpoint Yard on the Port Jervis Line - $24M" (you can read the rest at http://web.mta.info/capital/pdf/Capital ... _small.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Does anyone know where the proposed yard is to be located?
 #1372394  by EuroStar

When was the last time the Main Line had trains turn earlier than Waldwick? It appears to the untrained eye that most of the ridership comes from Clifton-Kingsland which could probably use another peak hour train or two.
 #1372470  by ExCon90

Based on my memory, such as it is, I think you'd have to go back to before 1950, when there were locals (often Stillwells behind a G15a 10-wheeler, sometimes gas-electrics) which originated and terminated at what was then a 4-track Lower Level at Paterson, also used by some Newark Branch locals--of course the intermediate stations were the Erie Main Line stations: Clifton, Passaic, Rutherford, etc. (The timetable indicated which trains originated on the Lower Level.) After the closure of the Lower Level there really wasn't anywhere practical to terminate trains short of Waldwick. I think everything on the DL&W went all the way to Dover.
 #1372585  by EuroStar

That is very interesting. Thank you. My incorrect guesses based on current track configuration were the embankment before and just to the west of Paterson station or the yard before Hawthorne where the connection with NYS&W is.
 #1372588  by Defiant

Any idea what prompted the humongous tie changing project on the Main/Bergen line last year? Were all or most of the ties changed? I have seen huge piles of old ties that were stored in Glen Rock, not far from the main shopping area :). But to my untrained eyes, the ties did not look too bad. No one can feel any difference with the new ties. In fact, they lengthened the schedule on the BC line by a couple of minutes after this works was done.

I would've thought NJT should've done something about the ridiculous flooding in Hoboken terminal tracks in high tide after rains. This February, given another foot or so of water the whole terminal could've been closed...
 #1372776  by EuroStar

If you read other threads you will know that I am biased towards grade separation, but why is not this an excellent candidate for one? It is a busy crossing at a bad angle with a bunch of industrial and commercial properties next to it which should make acquiring the land for separation easier. Dipping the road below the tracks the way they are doing with Alameda East in California should be doable. If the I-80 viaduct is tall enough they might even be able to push the tracks 1-2 feet higher and dip Market Street too.