Railroad Forums 

• D Line Shut Down(was:Riverside busing)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#441189  by dieciduej

From what I have heard not yet. The MBTA has to get permission from the Mass DPU. Time frame is end of this year to early next year. That is not to say a deadhead out to Riverside for servicing couldn't occur.

JoeD

#441205  by Arborway

I went on the D Line yesterday, and it definitely felt different. Not at all like it did before. A lot smoother - still some swaying, but nothing like how it used to be.

#441578  by MBTA3247

dieciduej wrote:From what I have heard not yet. The MBTA has to get permission from the Mass DPU. Time frame is end of this year to early next year. That is not to say a deadhead out to Riverside for servicing couldn't occur.
Huh? Why does the T need permission from the DPU to run Type 8s on the D line?

And yes, deadhead moves occur regularly. There's usually a few Type 8s parked around Riverside for servicing.

#441591  by sery2831

MBTA3247 wrote: Huh? Why does the T need permission from the DPU to run Type 8s on the D line?
A little off topic, but educational to the subject at hand. Like a railroad is overlooked by the FRA, the MBTA has an overseer also. The dept that is in charged of the MBTAs safety used to be the Mass DTE. But that dept has been split up and comes under the MASS DPU. They give the final approval to let Type 8s on the Riverside Line. Here is the link about the transportation duties of the Mass DPU.

#441888  by typesix

When Riverside was first opened, the MTA was required to equip PCCs that ran on that line with an air horn and roof headlight.

#442547  by onthegreenline

type 7 3704 wrote:
danib62 wrote:Has anyone else noticed the new brighter signs on the D line? I've seen them at Fenway and Reservoir. The green they use is much brighter then the usual, it's almost neon.
I was at Fenway last night - they actually look to be decals over the existing fiberglass signs, which are already bolted on top of the older ceramic signs... they look great -now-, hoping they hold up better than the other stickers on the system...

#442554  by danib62

onthegreenline wrote:
type 7 3704 wrote:
danib62 wrote:Has anyone else noticed the new brighter signs on the D line? I've seen them at Fenway and Reservoir. The green they use is much brighter then the usual, it's almost neon.
I was at Fenway last night - they actually look to be decals over the existing fiberglass signs, which are already bolted on top of the older ceramic signs... they look great -now-, hoping they hold up better than the other stickers on the system...
I saw when they were putting them up at Fenway and they looked sturdier then decals. I believe they are plastic signs. At Fenway at least the older ceramic signs were long gone. The fiberglass replaced them, they weren't put on top of them.

#445548  by sery2831

Since the Riverside line is fully operational, I am going to make this a normal thread.
 #1544633  by Rbts Stn

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:38 pm There will be more busing of the line in the coming month. Two stints.

https://patch.com/massachusetts/newton/ ... -what-know
I am having trouble with the calendar math here: https://patch.com/massachusetts/newton/ ... -what-know
The MBTA is closing the line between Riverside and Kenmore stations for a nine-day work period two times this month. The first will begin June 9 and end June 14. There will be a bit of a reprieve and the second stint will begin June 20 and go through June 28.
 #1544701  by BandA

21,462 feet
~4 miles. There are about 8 miles x 2 tracks between Reservoir & Riverside, 12 miles x 2 for the entire branch
of rail, turnouts, switches and signal equipment will be replaced.
How old are the rails? Weren't the existing rails already replaced with Continuously Welded Rail?
...and, when there are failures, response times faster.
Planning for failures is important :-D
 #1544707  by MBTA3247

I would hazard a guess that they're mainly replacing the outer rail on curves. IIRC the date stamps on the current rails are from the mid-1990s, which is plenty of time for those stretches of rail to have become worn to the point of replacement.
 #1544958  by Cosmo

Saw them working on the catenary today (Sun) in Brookline. Only got a quick glimpse as I was working.
Hi-rail truck with 3-4 guys.