• D Line Shut Down(was:Riverside busing)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MBTA3247

redline43 wrote:
MBTA3247 wrote:A more interesting option while the Reservoir to Riverside section is down would be to run circle service using the C and D lines.
With all due respect, what is the advantage of this setup?
Not much, beyond not having to run Reservoir as a stub-end terminal.

by PraiseX6

Today I went there to drop off a friend. I saw a B line train coming down the road and merge off at that switch - Then it went down the track into the C line area. Next it stopped before the yard and 4 crew members got off. Then it detached into two trains. Then the motor women drove one of the trains into the C line yard and the other one headed back up to the B line. I wish I had my camera to video tape this.

edit: - To keep this on topic and not off.. I went to some of the head guys at the OCC - they said customer support has received over 300 complaints about the busing between this area. I personally think the T needs to do some expressing of buses but I'm not sure how that would work.
Last edited by PraiseX6 on Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by sery2831

WAY OFF topic, but... Reservoir Yard also stores B Line cars, since Lake St is too small to hold enough cars for the B line requirements.

This thread is for Riverside shut down...

by type 7 3704

Now back on topic. The Riverside shuttle is getting people really angry. I rode on it a couple times this week, and the buses always bunch up. The first bus is overcrowded and the second bus nearly empty, and when you get to Resevoir, there's this big, sweating, angry crowd standing on the platform while some MBTA employees yell at them to get to the the opposite platform. And then the Green Line train that pulls in doesn't have the A/C working, so the passengers get angrier. I'm surprised they didn't post anything on BadTransit(whatever happened to it...it's probably dead now)

by Arborway

The entire D Line is shut down this weekend. I heard nothing about it until I went to Reservoir and saw this:

by sery2831

Found out the Riverside line was totally shut down last night the hard way. Was out for a ride to Reservoir maybe to spot 3667. When we arrived at Fenway, the car became out of service and an announcement that shuttle buses were upstairs. Rode a CNG New Flyer :-) to Reservoir, that was the only saving bit for that trip.

Today while out and about, the Riverside line was bused from Kenmore with cars turning at Blanford. That makes more sense since the bus shuttle route from Fenway requires a ride around St. Marys station on the C Line! Never mind that stairway!!!

by PraiseX6

This bugs me because no information was posted about on the website. Will this happen a lot on random weekends?

by AznSumtinSumtin

Information was posted in the Service Alerts section of the MBTA website. However, it did not show up on the front page of the website, because it was posted as an advisory and not as an alert. Only alerts show up on the front page.

by Arborway

AznSumtinSumtin wrote:Information was posted in the Service Alerts section of the MBTA website. However, it did not show up on the front page of the website, because it was posted as an advisory and not as an alert. Only alerts show up on the front page.
That's absolutely brilliant in it's nonsensical hair-splitting.

You would think that the MBTA would have their system setup so the complete shutdown of an entire line would kind of jump out at you, and not require digging to discover.

by Arborway

If you enter Reservoir station from the lower-level Beacon St. / Chestnut Hill Ave. entrance, be prepared to pay your fare there, as the MBTA has wisely set up a supervised fare box intercept people entering the station. The number of passengers transferring from the shuttle buses currently makes it impossible to collect fares on the inbound trains without double-charging most riders.

by trainhq

I rode it to the Red Sox on Sunday. Since it went straight down the MassPike to Fenway, it was actually much faster than the D line would have been. For this use only, maybe they might consider keeping it once the repairs on the D line are done; it runs much more often than the CR to Yawkey, and it isn't much slower.

by DLahey

Well, it looks like they're getting started at Longwood.
If it's anything like Kenmore, Copley or Arlington, the demolition will proceed with shocking efficiency, and then it will be left alone for, oh let's say a year or so, and then they'll get right back going again and start building the new station.
Go MBTA!

by darksun23c

Yesterday, I noticed that the T was using the alternate platforms at Reservoir to board inbound passengers. Trains coming from Beaconsfield diverted onto the other side and then reversed direction to go inbound. Has this been happening before? Because I ride the shuttle most days and I haven't noticed this.

by AznSumtinSumtin

MBTA.com wrote:Beginning Saturday, July 28, 2007 at the beginning of service until 5:00pm and on Sunday, July 29, 2007 at the beginning of service until 5:00pm a diversion of service will take place on the Riverside (D) branch of the Green Line between Riverside and Fenway Stations. (NOTE: Diversion will extend to Kenmore on Sunday, July 29, 2007) During this diversion, substitute bus service will replace regular train service between Riverside and Fenway (Kenmore on Sunday). Please also utilize the Cleveland Circle (C) branch for service into Boston. Please allow an extra 10-15 minutes for your commute.
Isn't it nice to know that the MBTA does not attempt to inform its passengers of service delays?

by Arborway

darksun23c wrote:Yesterday, I noticed that the T was using the alternate platforms at Reservoir to board inbound passengers. Trains coming from Beaconsfield diverted onto the other side and then reversed direction to go inbound. Has this been happening before? Because I ride the shuttle most days and I haven't noticed this.
They did this for about a week, and then switched back to the normal setup a few days ago.