Railroad Forums 

• D Line Shut Down(was:Riverside busing)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#434049  by GP40MC 1116

I experienced this the other day. After my afternoon appointment at Children's Hospital, I was attempting to wait for the 8 to Kenmore Sq. Well after waiting over 15 minutes I gave up and walked up to Brookline Ave near Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital to catch a 60 or 65. It must have slipped my mind about the Diversion because just as I got to the stop New Flyer # 0725 I think with a destination sign of Fenway. It worked well and wasn't a issue at all. Interestingly enough I had to pay getting on the shuttle bus but didn't have to pay when I got on a Fenway.

I wonder what fare they charge for that

#434071  by AznSumtinSumtin

They've been shutting down most of the D line on weekends, lately. The shuttle buses cost $2. Fare is collected at all stops, except Fenway, because most people would have already payed at a subway station. The Green Line trains at Fenway are free, because most people are coming from the shuttle buses, and the fare is collected on the buses.

#435723  by jwhite07

I had the need to work around the outage last night to get to Riverside. I simply took a Beacon Street car and walked over to Reservoir from Cleveland Circle.

Interesting observation, and a question - admittedly it has been a very long time since I lived in Newton and commuted on the Riverside Line every day, but where is the next crossover east of Reservoir located? I don't recall one until just west of Fenway Station, but I suppose there must be one closer. The reason I ask is that I watched an inbound car drop its passengers at Reservoir, and instead of crossing over just east of the station to come back west as I expected it to, it continued on and disappeared from sight toward Beaconsfield. Some time later the same car did finally reappear westbound and picked us up to head to Riverside. Why not cross over right at Reservoir?

I was a bit dismayed to see that some of the people I had seen get off the C train at Kenmore to take the shuttle bus ended up rejoining me on D train at Reservoir. Here I was thinking I was cleverly saving time by using the Beacon Street car versus the shuttle bus. Apparently not.

Then I was even more dismayed to arrive at Riverside only to be told by my wife that I had just missed seeing what I assume was another modified Type 7 arriving back from Littleton on a flatbed trailer about five minutes before I got there. While she did not get an actual car number, she did say that the car had a bunch of iPod ads all over it, so it wasn't a new Type 8.

#435775  by F-line to Dudley via Park

jwhite07 wrote:Then I was even more dismayed to arrive at Riverside only to be told by my wife that I had just missed seeing what I assume was another modified Type 7 arriving back from Littleton on a flatbed trailer about five minutes before I got there. While she did not get an actual car number, she did say that the car had a bunch of iPod ads all over it, so it wasn't a new Type 8.
3710, 3711, 3712, and 3717 were there for mods, per NETransit...so probably one of those.

Believe it or not, there are only SIX rollsign trolleys left: 3713, 3714, 3715, 3716, 3718, and 3719. And those will very soon get shipped off to Littleton. Not to go too far off-topic, but is it time to start a "Farewell to the Rollsigns" tracker thread? They may not have more than weeks left in service, and the sightings are getting very rare.

#435857  by sery2831

There is a cross over just beyond where the upper yard ties into the Riverside Line. It is placed so a car can exit the upper yard and get onto the inbound track.

#439312  by danib62

According the Globe the T has finished it's work on the D line and will reopen the line this coming Saturday, 3 days ahead of schedule. Read about it here.

#439356  by jamesinclair

Ahead of schedule eh?

I predict corners were cut, and the d line will be closed summer 09

#439358  by Arborway

Well it's not like Longwood or Brookline Village are anywhere close to being done. They'll be under construction until next Spring (read: Anytime in the second half of 2008)

#439377  by sery2831

jamesinclair wrote:Ahead of schedule eh?

I predict corners were cut, and the d line will be closed summer 09
Well I don't think they can cut anymore, since this track work is specifically for the Type 8s. The line was already rebuilt for the 8s before, so this is really the make up for the corners that were already cut.

#439427  by dieciduej

Funny thing the Phase 2 fliers posted at North Station said the last day for the project was Friday August 31st. That is the date I have always had on the books for the project ending. But the MBTA needs all the good PR it can get.

Just a sidebar note: The new operator rating starts on Saturday September 1st.

JoeD

#439570  by danib62

Has anyone else noticed the new brighter signs on the D line? I've seen them at Fenway and Reservoir. The green they use is much brighter then the usual, it's almost neon.

#439621  by type 7 3704

danib62 wrote:Has anyone else noticed the new brighter signs on the D line? I've seen them at Fenway and Reservoir. The green they use is much brighter then the usual, it's almost neon.
I noticed them in Eliot last month. Upon close examination it seems that they bolted on sheet metal signs right over the old ones. However, the signs still say that D line trains head to Lechmere, which hasn't happened for quite a long time now.(I doubt they'll restore service to Lechmere)

An MBTA project ahead of schedule...a pretty rare occurrence considering the T is notorious for projects being months, if not years late.
Let the weekend bus shuttles come to an end :-D !!!!!!!!!!!!

#439699  by sery2831

dieciduej wrote:Funny thing the Phase 2 fliers posted at North Station said the last day for the project was Friday August 31st. That is the date I have always had on the books for the project ending. But the MBTA needs all the good PR it can get.
Well maybe on time is considered ahead of schedule since not too many jobs get done that way! Now lets see how much work gets done back on the commuter rail since they have a big rail project to do now.

#439847  by ags

Well, the "D line" technically continues through to Kenmore, Arlington, and Copley, which are very under construction and very much overdue. I'll reserve judgment on how efficient the T's construction efforts are...

#441166  by jscola30

Anyone see if there are type 8s on the D-Line now?