Railroad Forums 

• Book: Railroaded in Cooperstown: A "True" Story

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#344544  by JoeG

I have heard various insulting things about Walter Rich over the years. But he did rehab the NYSW and run heavy freight trains on it. As a side benefit, he ran some nice excursion trains.
Many railroad barons were ethically and morally challenged but they organized successful, useful railroads. Do I need to mention Commodore Vanderbilt, who bought defective rifles and re-sold them at a large profit to the Union army. (The defects tended to blow the thumbs off soldiers who used them.) Need I cite Tom Scott of the Pennsy, who bribed legislators in wholesale lots? The Pennsy directors in the mid and late 19th century also engaged in insider deals, such as starting a steel that they personally owned and making sure the railroad bought all its output, which would result in jail time today.
The point is, we generally look at railroad entrepreneurs in terms of what they accomplished in the railroad business, rather than looking at their personal character flaws. Walter Rich accomplished a lot in the railroad business, resurrecting moribund railroads. End of story.

#344721  by RS115

Just an FYI - I've not read it yet but I ordered the book from Amazon ealier this week and received it within 3 days so, at least for the moment, it is in stock.

#344920  by charlie6017

I just ordered it now, so I will get it around the 10th..........can't wait!

#347307  by charlie6017

Well...............I read the book and it is definitely scandalous. I don't know..........one would have to have a really wacked imagination to make up this book if it weren't real. Anyone else read this book yet and care to weigh in?

#347326  by washingtonsecondary

Amazon is now saying 4-6 weeks on delivery. I guess I'll have to wait, darn it!

#347345  by cjvrr

washingtonsecondary wrote:Amazon is now saying 4-6 weeks on delivery. I guess I'll have to wait, darn it!

W.S., Cancel you order with them and call Larrys Train Shop. If you PM me I will give you his email address. I was waiting 4 MONTHS for the Amazon order and this week they sent me a "your order is cancelled" email. Kind of surprised me seeing that someone else on the list posted they recently got it from Amazon within a few days of ordering.

Chris

#347348  by charlie6017

I don't understand............I got mine quickly and they had five more in stock when I ordered........guess I was lucky.

#354369  by lvrr325

I've talked to a few people who would know a lot more than I would and they believe what the book has to say. Having been around some of the rr-related groups myself, nothing would surprise me.

If Walter broke laws, he probably had to, to get anything done in New York, home of the most corrupt state government in the country.

As for the rest. railroading makes for strange bedfellows, I guess, is all I can say.

Someone mentioned the CNY (original) "failing" shortly after it became a DO property. They bought it from the EL in 1973 and operated it through at least 1986, and it was pulled up well after that - 1998? I forget, but not that long ago. Of course after 1982 it was just a branch of the NYS&W northern division.

It speaks a little to D&O's management policies that the SIRT has been partially rebuilt and is in service, and there's a lot of plans to try to rebuild the Rahway Valley (by the M&E) also. Rebuilding track is rediculously expensive, yet they're finding business enough to support those costs.

#354397  by cjvrr

lvrr325 wrote: It speaks a little to D&O's management policies that the SIRT has been partially rebuilt and is in service, and there's a lot of plans to try to rebuild the Rahway Valley (by the M&E) also. Rebuilding track is rediculously expensive, yet they're finding business enough to support those costs.
Not really, the M&E has not worked on any more improvements to the Rahway Valley in nearly one year. There are NO current customers and quite a bit of money was spent for potential customers that have yet to materialize.

The SIRT was "saved" because the Port Authority decided it needed an additional intermodal terminal to serve the area. The City also has a loading facility to haul garbage out of the area doesn't it? I don't believe there are any other customers or potential customers on that line.

The NYS&W ran both as long as they could, but with continued closures of online business the line was doomed. Had the Port Authority or City acted 15- 20 years sooner, it would have been a different story.

#382063  by ricebrianrice

A friend of my wife lent her the book, because she knew I liked trains. I am struggling to read it, and am not sure I will even finish. It is pretty bad in my opinion.

Did anyone else give up and not finish??

Oh Yea, the only good thing I have found so far is the picture of 3040 on the cover :-D

#382830  by ut-1

I found the book very interesting at first. However, I stopped reading once I read about 75%. Basically, it's a non-stop rant against Walter Rich and, while Mr. Rich may "richly" deserve some criticism, by the time I read "I really hate Walter Rich" (no kidding!!) I had had enough!!!

#382875  by charlie6017

I finished the book quite awhile ago and I will admit, it was a struggle. I can't help but think that he wasted time and a LOT of dough just because he "needed" to fight tooth and nail against Walter--definitely a scandelous book, as noted by others on this thread. I have my copy on ebay now if anyone's interested.

Charlie

#385315  by N_DL640A

While I haven't read the book, I've heard a few negative things about the author.
For example: while running for Sherriff of his home town, this guy resorted to placing signs in his opponent's yard claiming that his opponent 'preferred the same gender' so to speak. I can't help but question the credibility (not to mention qualifications) of someone willing to to stoop so low.
 #399587  by cjvrr

Charlie6017,

Got you copy on eBay and read it.

I too agree with others here that it does tell alot about the management of the NYS&W that I was unaware of.

At first I felt bad for the author. He stood up for what was right in his eyes in regard to the Poolville accident and got canned for it. As I kept reading, my overall opinion of the author diminished greatly. He kept alluding to the fact that the RR mis-spent government funds but never backed it up with facts, just his personal opinion. It seems that every chance he could get to re-hash his fight against Mr. Rich and the railroad he would take it. And each and every time he ended up deeper in debt, and in worse shape emotionally than before. He only worked with the RR for 4 years, but his 'fight' has gone on for over 20. I wonder how things would be for him today if he just let it go.

I also think he has a problem accepting that the answers to his legal requests were sometimes (or most times in his case) "No". When that would be the answer, he would type up and send letters to everyone and anybody to say "how corrupt the lawyer was that was just defending him, "everybody was in co-hoots with each other," "they are on the take," etc.

The most recent problem he had with the RR Police Chief, could have very well been a personal beef between the two gentleman and may not have been done with any knowledge or approval of the RR management. The personal information that was spread maliciously should have been expunged and destroyed from the NYS&W records when the author was dismissed from the company.

At the end of the book the author came to a mutually agreeable financial settlement with the RR for the "packets" that were mailed out. But I don't think that will ever let him find peace.
 #399596  by charlie6017

cjvrr wrote:
At first I felt bad for the author. He stood up for what was right in his eyes in regard to the Poolville accident and got canned for it. As I kept reading, my overall opinion of the author diminished greatly. He kept alluding to the fact that the RR mis-spent government funds but never backed it up with facts, just his personal opinion. It seems that every chance he could get to re-hash his fight against Mr. Rich and the railroad he would take it. And each and every time he ended up deeper in debt, and in worse shape emotionally than before. He only worked with the RR for 4 years, but his 'fight' has gone on for over 20. I wonder how things would be for him today if he just let it go.
I agree 100 percent---I would have let it go long before he did. He put himself in a financial hole by persuing the matter.