Railroad Forums 

• Book: Railroaded in Cooperstown: A "True" Story

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#484159  by Alcoman

If I was the moderator of this forum, I would lock it up tight! I think its time to put this to bed once and for all. Walter may have not been perfect (then again who is?) but we should let the man rest in peace.
Let's remember his for the good things he did and not dwell on his short comings...
After all; has any of us looked at our selves lately? "He who is without sin should throw the first stone"
Alcoman

#484198  by pablo

It seems like everyone is dropping interesting aphorisms, so allow me to drop one for the resident shill:

The definitiion of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

I certainly don't have all the answers, but as someone that apparently just joined the site, and doesn't post under his own name, you carry very little credibility.

Allow me to also mention the two potentially divisive points: 1) service in any war does not automatically make someone intelligent, regardless of the valor that he or she showed, and 2) service in a war does not automatically forgive all manner of foolish acts, like being arrested for seeing a flag dropped to half mast/staff. THAT'S the action of a crackpot.

Everyone say goodnight to the anonymous shill, pecking at a dead man...

Dave Becker, who always uses his real name and does not hide under a psuedonym

#484262  by triesel

pablo wrote:It seems like everyone is dropping interesting aphorisms, so allow me to drop one for the resident shill:

The definitiion of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

I certainly don't have all the answers, but as someone that apparently just joined the site, and doesn't post under his own name, you carry very little credibility.

Allow me to also mention the two potentially divisive points: 1) service in any war does not automatically make someone intelligent, regardless of the valor that he or she showed, and 2) service in a war does not automatically forgive all manner of foolish acts, like being arrested for seeing a flag dropped to half mast/staff. THAT'S the action of a crackpot.

Everyone say goodnight to the anonymous shill, pecking at a dead man...

Dave Becker, who always uses his real name and does not hide under a psuedonym
Hey Resident Einstein:

Glad to see your back. Must be you are the "lead" for the group? Triesel happens to be my name. Sorry you have a hard time understanding that one, being the intelligent individual that you are...... Since you and a few of your buddies seem to enjoy definitions and names for me...here are two that seem to fit you. See what you think.....:

A. lackey

a follower who carries out another's orders like a servant; flunky

B. fool

a person with little or no judgment, common sense, wisdom, etc.; silly or stupid person; simpleton

Now whether I just joined this site should have very little importance, unless this is a closed "good ole boys club" where you have to think like everyone else, or you're not welcome. Actually, I have no strong opinion of Mr. Rich one way or another, so I don't have to "peck" at anyone...... You sir seem more than willing to condemn Mr Butler just because he dare write a book about his experience with Mr. Rich and the railroad hierarchy. What qualifications do you have to judge Butler? DId you spend hours with Rich or any of the other cast of characters like he did? Or are you just one of these guys that likes to "sniff" around the edges and pretend to know all? I don't... My original comments were just my strong opinion of a book I happened to just read. I did know many of the principles around Walter back in the late 70's and early 80's. They were an interesting lot indeed. Many of the rumors that were going around back in those days were elaborated on by Butler. So, let me just say that nothing would surprise me. Politics make for strange bed fellows....Why bring it up now after 20-25 years? Obviously, this guy feels he had his reputation damaged for trying to do what he thought was the right thing back then. He's doing the only thing he can do to get his side of the story out...write a book..... Even if Davy and his sand box buddies don't like that...

So, Davy Becker...calm down... there's room for everyone. It's what makes the world go around.

T Riesel

#484303  by Noel Weaver

I have been posting here for quite some time and I do NOT reflect my
entries based on what somebody else says unless I state my agreement
or disagreement.
On this topic, I still think the guy is just plain upset with the railroad and
Walter Rich in particular.
I have known Walter Rich for a long time and have worked with him in
years past when Delaware Otsego was in its youth. I bought shares in
the company many years ago and Walter Rich made absolutely sure that
the share holders got their return for their confidence in his management.
Walter Rich was a genius in my opinion who specialized in saving railroads
that were basically beyond hope and he was an expert at that.
I agree with the others who think this has gone far enough.
Noel Weaver

#484322  by triesel

I do believe that Walter was a very savvy businessman. One would have to be to survive in the railroad industry. I also believe that he was a friend to many good causes. A stupid man, he was not. He knew how to play the game and played it well.. Again, the ends do not justify the means, if the stories told are true... It is not only about the stock holders and other investors and how he saved the railroad and how much money he made and spent.....I'm sure the rank and file employees have a very different take on his legacy than the politicians and special interest people do. Why is it taboo to discuss that part of his life, if it is factual? I find it very difficult to believe that Butler or anyone else in his position would intentionally jeopardize his security or his families happiness and security because he merely has an ax to grind against Walter or anyone else at the D+O. It's a rare individual, who will stand up for what he believes is the right course to take. Look at the individuals that are willing to trash Butler's reputation even more on just this forum. Walter must have known that Butler was working on a manuscript for a book, for years prior to his illness. That possibility always existed.... Perhaps Walter was working on his memoirs to answer the charges and we will hear about them down the road. I hope so..... For now, I think it is fair game for all sides of the story to be told of this very public and interesting figure. No holes barred.

T. Riesel

#484340  by charlie6017

I'm going to let this thread continue for now, but I do want everyone to take a deep breath and relax..........

#484406  by pablo

Well, I do now feel compelled to reply here, since Triesel, or whatever the shill's name is this time we go around the merry-go-round, has decided to continue to infuse stupidity here.
Glad to see your back. Must be you are the "lead" for the group? Triesel happens to be my name. Sorry you have a hard time understanding that one, being the intelligent individual that you are...... Since you and a few of your buddies seem to enjoy definitions and names for me...here are two that seem to fit you. See what you think.....:

A. lackey

a follower who carries out another's orders like a servant; flunky

B. fool

a person with little or no judgment, common sense, wisdom, etc.; silly or stupid person; simpleton
Clearly, had you been here longer than a few days, you would know me, and the other participants here, and know a bit more about this thread which continues to resurface anytime one of the Rich-haters pop up. As a disclaimer, I met the man once, for about 3 seconds. He certainly did not know me, and I have no personal information about him being good or bad. The continued claims by people like Noel Weaver and other people that I know in the industry that appreciated him stand for more than whatever the next shill says.
Now whether I just joined this site should have very little importance, unless this is a closed "good ole boys club" where you have to think like everyone else, or you're not welcome.
It makes a huge difference. It shows you know little of the backstory and have little knowledge of the history of the railroads in question. There is no "good ole boys club", though we all generally try to stem the tide of the BS when it appears. You can certainly find many examples here.
Actually, I have no strong opinion of Mr. Rich one way or another, so I don't have to "peck" at anyone......

Clearly not true. Your comments are certainly not neutral.
You sir seem more than willing to condemn Mr Butler just because he dare write a book about his experience with Mr. Rich and the railroad hierarchy. What qualifications do you have to judge Butler?
Actually, one of the first things I heard about the book is that it was poorly written, which (if you knew anything) demonstrates that it lacks credibility. Perhaps that's wrong.
DId you spend hours with Rich or any of the other cast of characters like he did? Or are you just one of these guys that likes to "sniff" around the edges and pretend to know all?
Nope. I didn't spend anytime with any of the people involved.
I don't... My original comments were just my strong opinion of a book I happened to just read. I did know many of the principles around Walter back in the late 70's and early 80's. They were an interesting lot indeed. Many of the rumors that were going around back in those days were elaborated on by Butler.
It would seem that you are absolutely one of those people that like to sniff around the edges. You were on the outside looking in and you do have what you consider to be "knowledge" about the things in the book, since you allude to rumors you heard in the 70's. Did you reread before you type?
So, let me just say that nothing would surprise me. Politics make for strange bed fellows....Why bring it up now after 20-25 years?
You're making my point for me.
Obviously, this guy feels he had his reputation damaged for trying to do what he thought was the right thing back then. He's doing the only thing he can do to get his side of the story out...write a book..... Even if Davy and his sand box buddies don't like that...
So, let's see, someone has a grudge, and decides to write a crap book about it. Clearly an impartial person.
So, Davy Becker...calm down... there's room for everyone. It's what makes the world go around.
Indeed. Thank you for demonstating exactly that.

Dave Becker

#484498  by charlie6017

Yeah............I think we have gone far enough.

If anyone has anything more significant to add, please PM me.

Thanks,
Charlie