Railroad Forums 

• Book: Railroaded in Cooperstown: A "True" Story

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

hi

#302003  by thebigham

My friend loved it. Wants me to buy it. It's scandalous from what I hear.

#302648  by Alcoman

It is scandalous. I read the book and was amazed how things happen right under your nose. I worked for the NYSW when some of this was taking place and heard many rumors,much of which came out in the book.
Incrediable...A must read for anyone who wants to read power at its worst!

#318327  by RPD106

A good and quick read. Amazing look into the business of this railroad.

#318402  by RichM

Well, I've had it on order from Amazon since my first post, just got a second delay notice, now supposed to ship in December. Clearly this a very limited edition!

#318406  by Alcoman

The Author was at the Syracuse Train,NY show last weekend and had at least a dozen!

#318414  by Noel Weaver

I have not read this book and do not have much desire to read a book by
someone who most likely has "an axe to grind".
Plesae remember, there are TWO SIDES to every story and we may
never hear the other side of the story.
The author of this book could very well have been "relieved of duties" for
a very good, legitimate reason.
I have know Walter Rich for a long time and he accomplished a lot by
pulling a lot of "broken down" railroads up by their bootstraps and keep
them operating. He happens to believe in the railway and has done his
best at keeping his lines in operation. Is it wrong for him to be lobbying
for his railroad or for the railroads in the state, I don't think so, there are
all sorts of people lobbying for their causes in Washington, DC, Albany, NY
and all of the other state capitals throughout the country, I don't hear too
many of you complaining about them on here.
Is Walter Rich perfect?; probably not but he has done an outstanding job
with what he has had to work with over the years, quite a few years at
that.
Noel Weaver

#319231  by RPD106

I don't think it is wrong for him to lobby for his company but as you can see I live in New Jersey, the state of payoffs and corruption. I don't believe that elected officials should be paid off with bribes, parties, or any other form of unlawful contribution. I am not taking the author's word as the only story but I can absolutely see this happening. I will wait for Walter Rich's tell all book and then make a decision on what happened. I purchased the book online at http://www.larrystrains.com/. Like they say, there are always three sides to every story, the author's side, WR's side, and the truth. As I said in the first post, it was a good read. Happy reading.[/quote]

#332626  by starrtech

Why hammer WR for allegedly schmoozing the politicians a wee bit when the trucking industry and the airlines have been doing worse for a lot longer?.........
 #332887  by hoggerslim

Lobbying for the railroad is one thing. Pocketing the proceeds is quite another. I have no trouble believing Walter is crooked. The stories Ive heard from other previous and current employees I know could make your head spin.
B.T.W.: For such a one sided story, the second volume, written by a DIFFERENT NYS&W police chief, is due out in 2008, so I guess Walter the hero will have some more explaining to do.

FYI: There is also a big rumor flying around that some big changes are to come at Cooperstown very soon, so send Walter your love while you still can!

#332901  by RichM

I guess I need to cancel my order with Amazon and go to Larry's.... three months later, no book.
 #333235  by Noel Weaver

hoggerslim wrote:Lobbying for the railroad is one thing. Pocketing the proceeds is quite another. I have no trouble believing Walter is crooked. The stories Ive heard from other previous and current employees I know could make your head spin.
B.T.W.: For such a one sided story, the second volume, written by a DIFFERENT NYS&W police chief, is due out in 2008, so I guess Walter the hero will have some more explaining to do.

FYI: There is also a big rumor flying around that some big changes are to come at Cooperstown very soon, so send Walter your love while you still can!
"Believe", "Heard", "Rumor", Let's be honest, there is nothing worthwhile
on this one, just more BULLSXXT.
Not ONE FACT.
Noel Weaver

#333259  by GOLDEN-ARM

I ordered mine, from Larry. $14.99, free shipping, and it's in stock. I am curious about what's being said, not pre-judging the man. As far as the Police Chiefs go, They were based out of Little Ferry, and still might be. Hard to see, and say, what's going on, in Cooperstown, from the other end of the railroad. We have a saying on the railroad, that goes something like this: "Believe HALF of what you see, and NONE of what you hear". You guys need to chill out, on crucifying Uncle Walt, without anything other than someones personal opinion, written in some pulp rag. I recall the Suzy being a road, that terminated in Butler, for quite a few years, and with no trackage in any other state. Remember the rotting Alco,s weed strewn right of way, and 5 mph railroad? You guys are mighty quick to hang the Man. I might take exception, with the way things are done, sometimes, but he does make it possible, for there to be a railroad, to do those things on. Without Walter, the NYS&W would be like the RVRR, or the SIRY. You really need to reconsider what you are trying to say, about the man............ :(

#333288  by cjvrr

G-A,

I agree with you. If you saw the Q pre Walter Rich, you would not have seen it having the future it did. He really was /is the savior of this railroad and pieced together a nice little system with nothing more than a few dollars and his smarts. He has also done many good things for the railfan community as well from running passenger trains and other excursions, to supplying equipment for static displays even today.

Could it be that many of the people complaining about the Q of today were not around or just not interested in it 20-25 years ago?

Chris

#333300  by Steamtown Observer

As far as the Police Chiefs go, They were based out of Little Ferry, and still might be. Hard to see, and say, what's going on, in Cooperstown, from the other end of the railroad.
I don't know about now, but the author of this book lived in Cooperstown and his office was in the Cooperstown HQ.
Without Walter, the NYS&W would be like the RVRR, or the SIRY. You really need to reconsider what you are trying to say, about the man...
Please remember that in 1980 the bankruptcy court had 3 final bidders to take over the NYS&W. Had one of the other 2 companies prevailed, things might have been worse, but they could have been better as well.

The Walter Rich - D.O. story is not one of never ending upward progress. When you look back now you can see that every other property DO has owned other than the NYS&W has FAILED! The LASB, FJ&G, CNY (original one), CACV, and the stillborn Kingston Terminal all have come and gone. Now a major portion of the Utica line is gone and likely never to see a train again. And let's not forget that the RVRR and SIRY were also D.O. properties when they failed! Maybe these lines would have failed anyway but this is hardly the vision of a successful shortline holding company.